(asian primary rhino, DES) any recs in NJ/NY? or wait & have it done in korea?

becquerel

Mar 22, 2019
hi all, i've been a lurker for a while but i'm finally at the point where i can seriously consider a rhinoplasty (excited!)

i'm korean-american, female, 20. i have the typical flat nose with bulbous tip and no nose bridge; also have a slight hump. i don't hate how i look, but i would like to improve it, and my mother (korean immigrant with eyes & nose done) wants me to do these surgeries enough that she'll pay for it.

my options are:
  1. get rhino & DES done now in the states, with a doctor in the NJ/NY area. problems: having trouble finding doctors with a sizable east asian portfolio, and results seem conservative for those who do.
  2. wait until COVID restrictions are lifted and go to korea. problem: would have to wait to go with my sister in ~4 years, worried about aftercare & follow-ups if something goes wrong.
for the rhino i'm aiming for a more refined tip, higher bridge, and to narrow the width from a front view. SK doctors seem to align with that aesthetic the most; i was looking at UVOM, wannabe PS, and cocoline. i don't have an ideal DES look yet because my mother wants me to do that more than i do, i'm indifferent.

for US doctors i have mainly been looking at william lao and jimmy C. sung in NY, but dr. lao's results seem more conservative than i'd like & i can't find too many pictures for dr. sung.

which option should i opt for & does anyone have recs for NJ/NY doctors experienced with east asian patients? would love to hear. thank you!

Last edited:
hello!!! I'm in the same boat as you! I keep debating if I want to go to Asia to get my nose job or to do it in the States.
Have you looked at Sk plastic surgery in Cali or mia cosmetic surgery phi p. nguyen m.d in Texas? The thing is the starting price for both of them is 7k!

Honestly I'm leaning more towards waiting to go to Korea ( for you and me) it's cheaper than the states plus this one girl I know of got her nose done at UVOM and the results were amazing!

Just wondering if you actually went with Dr. Lao and if so, if you recommend him! Am leaning towards going to see him.

And if anyone else has recs for asian rhinoplasties in the NYC/NJ area, please let us know!!

Reactions: Horimiya
Just wondering if you actually went with Dr. Lao and if so, if you recommend him! Am leaning towards going to see him.

And if anyone else has recs for asian rhinoplasties in the NYC/NJ area, please let us know!!
Me too! I was also looking into him and I am leaning to go to him too. He also has complimentary consultations so that’s always nicer especially since I’d have to fly there from Cali.

Based on the before/after, Dr. Lao's stitching looks uneven with too much orbital fat removal. The creases ended up not smooth and too deep. All the other procedures look so-so as well other than lower bleph. I suppose that's easier or his specialty.

Dr. Yoo's rhino does seem pretty good. Upper bleph similarly removes too much orbital fat with an overly high crease. Lower bleph ok, maybe slightly not as good as Dr. Lao's work.

Based on these photos, I personally would wait to go to Korea unless you just want rhino and/or lower bleph, and if the prices aren't exorbitant. This is my problem with US surgeons. Even top uni grads still produce subpar work with outdated techniques and bad aesthetic. I think it's because they mostly operate on old caucasians who tend to have excess fat and sagging skin. Aggressive excision and fat removal are not suitable for younger people. It causes early hollowing and the crease goes up over time as they age because they're still changing and now no longer have the originally designed amount of skin.

Based on the before/after, Dr. Lao's stitching looks uneven with too much orbital fat removal. The creases ended up not smooth and too deep. All the other procedures look so-so as well other than lower bleph. I suppose that's easier or his specialty.

Dr. Yoo's rhino does seem pretty good. Upper bleph similarly removes too much orbital fat with an overly high crease. Lower bleph ok, maybe slightly not as good as Dr. Lao's work.

Based on these photos, I personally would wait to go to Korea unless you just want rhino and/or lower bleph, and if the prices aren't exorbitant. This is my problem with US surgeons. Even top uni grads still produce subpar work with outdated techniques and bad aesthetic. I think it's because they mostly operate on old caucasians who tend to have excess fat and sagging skin. Aggressive excision and fat removal are not suitable for younger people. It causes early hollowing and the crease goes up over time as they age because they're still changing and now no longer have the originally designed amount of skin.
It depends on the person's preference but in my opinion I prefer a more natural result. Dr. Yoo's work in my opinion is too dramatic for my taste so I'm leaning more to Dr. Lao's style. Also I believe Dr. Lao is double board certified in Reconstructive and plastic surgery, which is a plus for me because depending on what you want to do with your nose (especially if you're making it smaller- not in my case) in many rhinoplasty cases it leaves the functionality of the patient's nose less efficient compared to prior the surgery, which is why that is important to me in that case bc one of my personal goals is to improve my breathing/solve deviated septum problem.

Hi, https://www.doctorlao.com/english-new-york/plastic-surgeon-new-york/
are you talking about this Dr.Lao? I just want to make sure, thank you!
yes, that is him. I'm from California so it would cost a lot of money just for an in person consultation (flying, hotel/ air bnb, food, if I go through with surgery still more hotel and food costs on top of surgical costs, etc.) they do video too, but I'd prefer in person because it's more quality assessment; they can tell if you have thick or thin skin, feel your septum bone and assess more thoroughly, etc.

I'm also looking into Rady Rahban, but I don't see much of what I'm looking for on his page (he has few asian patients (who according to him [I went to a consult with him] are the only ones willing to disclose their photos/work)and most B&A photos are of reductive rhinoplasty, but I like his work/eye for his results (most of them) (I'm looking for constructive; to be precise I am looking for several things: to build height, to straighten the profile of the nose (from a 45 degree angle it is slanted and makes me self conscious of my left profile because it is too deviated), a doctor with experience and good/beautiful results with bulbous tip (I have a very bulbous undefined tip that I can only describe as fat/big nose) that I want to define (ideal: shin se kyoung nose) and experience with alar base reduction (I personally did some research and for my type of nose, alar reduction will help me bring the nostrils in so it doesn't make my nose tip look so wide and give a more petite mid profile and closer look to shin se kyoung.) I'm still trying to learn more about these procedures (Rib, dcf, I'm more into rib because the results I see are giving the nose structure, which as an asian is what I want, but depending on the doctor you might get an unnatural result and with rib your nose will be stiff. But looking into ear, I heard it is too soft to give structure and sometimes may absorb and not give the results (if any change) I may want. Thats why I am taking rib and dcf into more consideration because if I don't have enough septal than I am hoping to use rib so I have to accept the cons along with the pros. I don't know that much about these things yet so any more information about these things will be very helpful and I'd appreciate it!
If you look up winter from AESPA's nose transformation, mine is similar to hers prior surgery, and I love her results. (I don't know who the surgeon is, but if someone does, I would set my heart straight to go to him/her/them.) I just want to focus on getting a satisfactory primary rhinoplasty, and am not interested in getting a revision, so I am putting 112% into my research and trying to search as much as I can (but I ideally want to get it done before fall starts.)

Last edited:
I did a consultation with Dr. Lao for DES and wasn't impressed. From the photos he showed me, a lot of his patients had uneven eyelids. He also quoted me at $4500 for DST which I find extremely expensive. I'm definitely going to California to get my eyelids done.