As the vachetta ages, does your love of your bag start to diminish?

I love the vintage look oft the vachetta! I like well-tended and valuable vintage things in general and the idea of sustainability when buyin preloved.
Plus, the bag looks more loved and therefore - particularly in case of LV - more authentic (as the worst and common fakes are faux leather or never not used over a long time).

Quite the contrary. The beauty of this untreated leather is the way it ages and develops its own unique color and patina.
Ok then - then explain to me why a preloved bag with very light vachetta and a crappy interior will sell for more than one that is immaculate but darker in patina? I see it often... Not trying to argue or be inflammatory but I’m still harking back to the fact that lighter vachetta APPEARS to be more sought after and thus darker hues must equal less desirability...

FTR I totally agree with you - but it still makes for an interesting discussion.

Ok then - then explain to me why a preloved bag with very light vachetta and a crappy interior will sell for more than one that is immaculate but darker in patina? I see it often... Not trying to argue or be inflammatory but I’m still harking back to the fact that lighter vachetta APPEARS to be more sought after and thus darker hues must equal less desirability...

FTR I totally agree with you - but it still makes for an interesting discussion.

When i look for preloved, I prefer to have a newer bag for a good price (less than retail). Less patina = newer looking. Ive seen some patina in terrible shape (the little triangle tabs on some pochettes and toiletry pouches). The patina is so dark that you cant read the stamp.

Having that small bit replaced (esp when the canvas is hardwearing and durable) can make a bag look brand new.

That's so strange! I guess people think they can clean the interior somehow but don't want to deal with the cost of replacing the dark vachetta on a bag. I'm the opposite! I, for one, am over dealing with dirty interiors. My first pre-loved Speedy had a huge ink stain and other random stains inside but it was cheap and I assumed I could always clean it. (It did have a dark-ish patina though) I tried everything to clean it and almost ruined it. I ended up using a cardboard base to cover the bottom until I sold it with all issues mentioned. And don't get me started on smells inside the bag! I love the look of new vachetta but I also love to watch it patina. I don't mind a honey patina but it should be clean and even. Random darkness just makes me think of sweat stains and oils. I recently purchased two Neverfull GM's - both are about ten years old and both have clean interiors. I didn't mind the warm patina (plus it's even) because I know I can eventually replace the leather.

Because the majority of people share a certain opinion doesn't make it right. Most don't understand the difference between dirty leather and leather with a patina. Most buy Louis Vuitton but don't appreciate the beauty of untreated leather as it ages.

I don't know what to tell you... but we certainly walk among idiots all day.

Because the majority of people share a certain opinion doesn't make it right. Most don't understand the difference between dirty leather and leather with a patina. Most buy Louis Vuitton but don't appreciate the beauty of untreated leather as it ages.

I don't know what to tell you... but we certainly walk among idiots all day.
Interestingly, I have a friend who automatically sells pieces as soon as they hit any patina shade past the very light honey. Off they go. Nothing wrong with them.

I love the honey brown color also! I did however come across a very old St. Cloud that had turned to a point that it was just not pretty so I did the unthinkable... I dyed it black but I totally love the look!

Reactions: Sferics
I'm more accepting of darker patina on Mono bags -- for Azur, I think it looks crummy when it gets super dark. I like seeing well-used bags with history. I do not, however, like dirty leather. I see some bags where I want to tell the owner that they can have the trim replaced, lol! Would never do that, of course!

Dark patina is lovely. Dirty patina is not what I would enjoy. As for prices being higher for a dirty interior and lighter vachetta vs the opposite, that's vanity I guess. Who cares what's inside as long as the outside looks good, right? Yuck.

Reactions: Sferics and rainy1
When I first started buying LV I wanted my vachetta to stay lighter and didn't appreciate the patina that comes with a well-loved bag and age. I enjoy a honey color but was paranoid that it would become darker than a light honey. While I now appreciate my bags aging naturally as I use them, I wouldn't want to buy pre-owned with a particularly dark patina. Personally I'd look for a pre-owned bag that I could enjoy aging on my own. That said, I wouldn't want the interior to show significant wear either. I know I'm a bit particular about my bags and the wear so I don't think I could buy a pre-owned bag if the vachetta or interior was worn.
Anyhoo - I think this could be part of why a lighter vachetta is preferred as owners may want to enjoy the bag aging with them. JMTC

Reactions: lv_katie

My guess is that no one else can see the interior and it's fabric so easier to clean.