artificial nails, good or bad?

I agree!!! I'm going away for two weeks and I should be looking very prim and proper so I'm going to get them done mainly for the part that my polish will stay on for two weeks.

Wow Something 2 say, 30 years and you do it yourself!! I'm amazed!!

I have to disagree because I don't think fake nails look that good. I'd much rather see someone with a nice manicure on naturally short nails then an obvious set of acrylics (short or long). I'm all about beauty products and putting effort into your appearance, but there's something about fake nails that just doesn't look right. For most of my life, my nails have been weak and subsequently short. I would never have considered fake nails as an alternative not just because I don't think that they look good, but mostly because of the harm they do to your natural nails.
I suppose if fake nails make you feel more confident and/or better about your appearance, then that's all that matters. I guess I'd rather see someone putting effort into their appearance even in the form of fake nails, then no effort at all.:smile:

:wlae:I have been wearing acrylic nails with tips for 30 years. I put them on myself and maintain them myself. So I have little cost and can maintain them anytime I want/need. Nails do not breathe. Neither does your hair. What damages your nails is how you take care of them. I have NEVER had a fungus in the 30 years. Since I maintain them myself . . . I can correct and replace them anytime they need it. When it is time to re-place a nail (or all of them) I file the surface of the acrylic without touching the natural nail. I then soak the nails in acetone polish remover. What is left of the acrylic peels off. My natural nails are not as strong as I wish . . . but they never have been . . . or I wouldn't be wearing acrylic nails. I really do not notice ANY damage to my natural nails. I take care of my cuticles and hydrate my nails. I wear them just a little beyond my fingers, they are thin and they look natural. Thought you should know.

Same here! I've been doing my own acrylics for 14 years now. The convenience of being able to do them/replace them whenever you want can't be beat. Instead of using a Dremel drill to smooth, I use just a regular file to smooth, then I go over them with a block buffer. I wear mine a little thick because my hair is 3 feet long and if they're too thin, they will break when I wash my hair.

I get "tips" with a gel overcoat for the past year. Before that I would get french manis but was very frustrated that it didn't last very long for all the $$ I was paying. I find the tips to be a more affordable alternative that looks great for 2-3 weeks at a time rather than 5-7 days. I keep mine short with rounded edges and many people comment that they look totally natural! My salon also does not use drills so it doesn't damage my nailbed.

Sure, I've seen acrylics that look tacky. I've also seen natural nails that look tacky. It totally depends on how you wear and maintain them. A nicely manicured hand with short, polished nails looks best - whether the nails are real or acrylic or gels.

I have worn acrylics off and on for close to 15 years now. I'd wear acrylics for several months, take them off and go natural for several. My natural nails do grow strong and long, but I like the low maintenance of acrylics. I always kept my nails very short and usually with a French manicure. Most people thought they were natural. I recently had them taken off, maybe 2 months ago, and my natural nails have almost zero damage. They are a tad thin and of course I keep them filed fairly short, but the day they soaked my nails off, they looked just fine.

Acrylics are only bad for your nails if you have a bad nail tech.

I had acrylics many years ago...early 90s. When I took them off my nails were in horrible shape: thin, breaking, and just looked rough. It took many months to get them to where they looked good again. every now and then I think about getting them again...usually when I see someone with a great looking artificial french manicure. But then I have to remind myself of how bad it is for your nails. So, I have resigned myself to weekly manicures and my natural nails always look nice. Plus, my husband does not go for the artificial look at all, so that helps my decision!

I had acrylics many years ago...early 90s. When I took them off my nails were in horrible shape: thin, breaking, and just looked rough. It took many months to get them to where they looked good again. every now and then I think about getting them again...usually when I see someone with a great looking artificial french manicure. But then I have to remind myself of how bad it is for your nails. So, I have resigned myself to weekly manicures and my natural nails always look nice. Plus, my husband does not go for the artificial look at all, so that helps my decision!

Once again, acrylics in and of themselves are NOT bad for your nails. The reason your nails were in bad shape was because you were going to a nail tech that either a) used the wrong kind of liquid (which has long since been banned in the US, but lots of nail salons still use it because it's so cheap) OR b) used a dremmel tool on your natural nailbed, or c) both a and b. OR, you pried them off instead getting them removed properly.

For anyone who is interested in getting acrylics, but you are worried about the damage, look for a salon that uses Tammy Taylor nail products, or at the very least, inquire as to what kind of liquid they use. If it's MMA, it's BAD!!!!! They should be using EMA. And NEVER, EVER allow a nail tech to use the drill on your natural nail!!!

Lately I am seeing more and more of the acrylics on girls in my area.. Are they making a come back? Did they ever go away? Im confused now, lol
I had acrylics for years until one day they looked so dated to me so i have had natural for the past 2 years or so but it does cross my mind sometimes to go back.

I don't care how your nails are, but artificial nails are a big NO. It's tacky, vulgar and trashy....I've never seen elegant women with acrylics and never will.

I agree with this, but if you get the acrylics very short and thin to the point they don't look fake, no one will know the difference. that's what I do :love: My nail bed is already long and perfect, but acrylics help extend the polish so I only have to redo them every 2 weeks.

I can't wear any types of artificial nails. I'm a SAHM and find myself in the kitchen A LOT and when I cook and get all that food under my nails, I think it's gross. I keep my own nails at a neat length where I can polish them and they still look nice.

After 12 years of acrylic nails, I just had mine taken off - the are thin and fragile, but will grow out and be fine. In the 12 years I never had fungus...I just got tired of having to go and get them done every two weeks, and manicures are cheaper anyways, plus now I can do them myself when I feel like it.

I did love them though, but I dont think I will be getting them again, they look really nice now very short and polished.

I can't decide if I should get mine done again....

I had them on and off for the past 10 years or so. I had gels, acrylics, tips...you name it, I tried it! I went to the mall places, to nice salons, and to day salons. Last year about this time I just got sick and tired of going every 2 weeks. Plus, the expense didn't seem worth it to me anymore.

Since getting them off, it took me about 6 months fo rhtem to grow out so all the ridges were gone. But now they are so short because I pick at them all the time. I wish I didn't, but it is a bad habit.

So, I am contemplating getting them again. It seems like prices have gone up over the last year. I called the day salon and for acrylics it is $55 for a new set and $25 for fills. Ugh. I hate paying for that, but I hate my short nails. I love jewelry, but I feel stupid wearing rings and bracelets because it draws attention to my hands which I think are ugly.

So, what should I do??????? I can find the time to go....and the money isn't so much an issue.....

I can't decide if I should get mine done again....

I had them on and off for the past 10 years or so. I had gels, acrylics, tips...you name it, I tried it! I went to the mall places, to nice salons, and to day salons. Last year about this time I just got sick and tired of going every 2 weeks. Plus, the expense didn't seem worth it to me anymore.

Since getting them off, it took me about 6 months fo rhtem to grow out so all the ridges were gone. But now they are so short because I pick at them all the time. I wish I didn't, but it is a bad habit.

So, I am contemplating getting them again. It seems like prices have gone up over the last year. I called the day salon and for acrylics it is $55 for a new set and $25 for fills. Ugh. I hate paying for that, but I hate my short nails. I love jewelry, but I feel stupid wearing rings and bracelets because it draws attention to my hands which I think are ugly.

So, what should I do??????? I can find the time to go....and the money isn't so much an issue.....

My lady charges $40 for fills! If it were me, I would do it, but then, I am a die hard acrylic fan. Where I live, they are VERY much in style and always have been. Personally, I really enjoy my appointment for fills every 2 weeks. It's *my* time. I say go for it!

My lady charges $40 for fills! If it were me, I would do it, but then, I am a die hard acrylic fan. Where I live, they are VERY much in style and always have been. Personally, I really enjoy my appointment for fills every 2 weeks. It's *my* time. I say go for it!

That's the funny thing about this thread. So many are saying acrylics are tacky, but where I live, they seem to be "in." Most of my friends, who I think are very fashionable and make loads of $$$, have them. Granted, I live in a small town in the midwest, so this isn't exactly a fashion-metropolis:shrugs:!

Well, I live in Fort Worth, Texas, which is right next to Dallas and even in Dallas (which is a very fashionable city) MOST wealthy women, and those that you would consider fashionable wear them. They always have, so I dunno.....