artificial nails, good or bad?

Don't do it!

It destroys your natural nails for a very long time. I've found it takes growing the entire nail out at least twice before they're almost back at the previous strength.

Natural nails need to breathe to be strong, and the artificial nails stop all air to them.

I agree.. mine nails were way better before I used acrilic ones... its been months since I stopped using them and they are still weak and keep breaking all the time :sad:

i had them for like 3 years in high school. it took like 1 year for my natural nail to harden after i removed them for good. you also have to soak them and remove them from time to time to let your natural nails breathe for a few weeks. i don't have the patience anymore to deal with them. you have to go every 2 weeks to get them filled.

also try not to keep them wet so much because of fungus and if you do then just dry them really well.

the pain is when one of them breaks and you have that one finger without one...ugh i use to hate that

i'm not a fan of fake nails but i did it once/twice for a show. i dont know about strength of nails but its really annoying afterwards because a lot of glue get stuck on even after you try to use acetone to get rid of it. in the end it takes weeks jsut to have smooth nails again

I'm going to be the lone gunman here. I have them and love them. My natural nails grow to be quite wonderful and beautiful looking, but I HATE that nail polish lasts less than a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I really HATE when all of my nails are super long and great looking and then I break one and it looks odd.

The set I have on I got back on MLK day and have changed them once since then. Both my mom and I have had them for years and no ill effects. I get mine taken off more than she does, but still we've had no problems.

Sure when you take them off, yes, your nail will be thin and weak, that's natural. But they do grow back to normal in a month or two.

Also if you go to a good shop that knows what they're doing and takes proper care of their equipment and you don't go sticking your hands in a dish of bateria for weeks at a time, you won't have any problems with them. If you're going to a decent shop and you're a clean person, fungus won't grow under them.

Yes fugus has been reported under some indvidual's artificial nails, which I wouldn't wish on anyone because I'm sure it was a mess to get rid of, but I would first question the individual as to what they did for a living and how they took care of their nails before I go and say the whole idea of artificial is a bad idea. JMHO
that's why i want them, my nail polish NEVER stays on. i just wanting to have pretty nails that don't look awful after a day.

i went to a salon once for a manicure and i could have done a better job and it came off just as quick.

i had fake nails for about a year until i took them off, and it took like 2 months until they were back to normal.

I have manicures done on my natural nails at a salon and my polish lasts a decent amount of time. About 5-7 days of looking great. I find Essie nail polish last really long and reapplying a shiny topcoat every few days helps keep them from chipping.

I think they're ok as long as you don't wear them all the time. I have mine done (acrylics with gel, white tips) during the school year then give them a break during the summer.
For some reason though, whenever I remove the artificial nails, my natural nails seem to be stronger and grow faster.

I had them on for 5 years straight and took them off before I had surgery. It took a while for my nails to get strong again, but now they are great and I will never put acrylics/gel/solar nails on again

Plus after all of the stories on the news, etc about how lots of salons do not properly sterlize the equipment that pretty much did it for me (a women here in DFW DIED from a staph infection from a pedicture tub at what looked like a clean place).

No thanks, I'll keep my own nails thanks

I'm gonna agree with the minority here. I've got acrylics on for about 4/12 years. I had them on in the 80's, 90's took them off, and tried the natural way. My polish never stood on no matter what polish I used
or how often I applied a top coat!! Then, as one poster said, my nails would start to grow and, wham, one would break!! Yes, I have to get them "filled" every two weeks but I take care of them and not have to worry about fungus. They look nice and feminine and holds the polish for a solid 2 weeks, at least.

Personally, I don't care for them. They're too hard to maintain, they thrash your real nails underneath, they break...ugh. No thanks - but that's just me!!! :P I like them nicely trimmed and polished. I love a good french tip, but fakes just are too fake.