Artificial Grass for Pets

kmrosko404

Jun 1, 2007
Anyone have any experience with replacing their lawn with artificial grass? We bought a house earlier this year and we have a tiny yard so needless to say my two dogs (min pin and IG) have killed our lawn. I can't seem to justify paying for a gardener every month anymore b/c it looks awful.

I did a little online research and there seem to be number of different companies but I didn't find much in terms of reviews. I know it is pricey to install but maintenance is minimal but I'm worried about the smell. I'd hate to spend the money and then not be happy with the smell.

Please share your experience. TIA!

What sort of smell are you referring to? When your dog pees on it?
I've had astro turf in 2 houses and they don't smell... When I let my dog out to pee, I hose it off straight away!

Last edited:
What sort of smell are you referring to? When your dog pees on it?
I've had astro turf in 2 houses and they don't smell... When I let my dog out to pee, I hose it off straight away!
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was referring to the urine smell. What limited negative reviews I could find mentioned that it can smell like urine even if you hose it off.

Seems like a pain to hose it down EVERY time the dog does its business. We have a very small yard so I was thinking if we keep our sprinkle system intact and let it go off for a short time each day that might help... I realize that defeats the some of the resource and $$ savings though

Did you use a specific brand? I saw some (like K9 grass) that are specifically designed for pet use

I got ours from a local company that produces their own astro turf called TurfDirect... feels like real grass and isn't prickly!

My dog only goes out twice besides her walkies.. once at night and once in the morning! So it's not a hassle at all! Lol she does her #2s on newspaper in her bathroom ie the extra toilet so that's not an issue either!

We don't have soil/sand underneath the turf.. it's got a drainage system with a concreted base and crushed stone on top, so maybe that's why it doesn't smell?

We replaced a small patch of grass in the backyard of our previous home with putting green turf and then the edges were longer (to simulate rough). The longer part of the grass was soft on the feet and not prickly at all...I'd imagine that's what you'd use. It's very nice!

Overall, it was very low maintenance but it did tend to smell like urine from our 2 dogs if we didn't spray it off a couple times a week. The spraying always took away the urine smell. I believe our turf was laid down on soil, sand and then some other white granulated plastic looking stuff. It was nice not having to pay the gardener to cut that tiny patch of grass anymore and DH liked working on his putting game. :biggrin: