Article: Coach cuts 10% of Corporate Staff

curiousillusion

LOVE pink!
Jul 12, 2008
Not sure if this has been posted yet but I just came across this article and thought I'd share:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123558550174374223.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

"Coach Inc. has laid off more than 150 corporate employees as part of a larger effort to moderate costs as the economy shows scant signs of improving.
The leather-goods retailer said the reduction amounts to a bit over 10% of its U.S. corporate staff of roughly 1,500. The cuts are across all levels and U.S. business units, Coach spokeswoman Andrea Shaw Resnick said.."

Anyway, just figured I'd share...

I think Coach is relying WAY to heavily on boutique purchases. IMO, they need to cut the boutique prices slightly and lessen the frequency of releases to outlets.

With my own situation, buying something at the boutique would be more of an option if I wasn't concerned about it being released to the outlets at 50%+ off. I may be one of the few Coachies that has NEVER purchased from the boutique simply because I don't mind a 3-4 month wait.. sometimes even less!!

And if they got rid of the outlets, I'd probably move on to a different brand. With Coach's current boutique prices, I could spend a couple hundred more and start getting entry level LV/Prada/etc bags.. Oh well, I know it's status but whatever. I guess Coach knows what they're doing since they've been in business so long, but lately I'm just not too sure.. I just hope they don't go completely under :crybaby:

I'm a first time Coach subforum poster, but I saw the article and thought I would give my 2 cents here. I have to agree with turboflgrl, that the amount of time that product takes to move from boutique to outlet is one of the major reasons (when I used to buy Coach) that I never purchased in boutiques.

Also, even though I haven't purchased a new Coach in a long time, I do scan the catalogues that come in the mail...and the prices have gone up substantially. I know this can probably be said about any brand, and in the end it is all a matter of taste as to what you spend your money on anyway...but if I am going to drop $500, it isn't going to be on a Coach bag. And now their prices are up in that range, when about 5 years ago they were in the $350 range for the same types of bags. Just my 2 cents...and maybe it speaks for the sentiment of many fair-weather Coach purchasers (not the diehard Coach "fans" but rather those people who are just handbag purchasers and happened to be buying Coach for whatever reason at the time).

I think Coach is relying WAY to heavily on boutique purchases. IMO, they need to cut the boutique prices slightly and lessen the frequency of releases to outlets.

With my own situation, buying something at the boutique would be more of an option if I wasn't concerned about it being released to the outlets at 50%+ off. I may be one of the few Coachies that has NEVER purchased from the boutique simply because I don't mind a 3-4 month wait.. sometimes even less!!

And if they got rid of the outlets, I'd probably move on to a different brand. With Coach's current boutique prices, I could spend a couple hundred more and start getting entry level LV/Prada/etc bags.. Oh well, I know it's status but whatever. I guess Coach knows what they're doing since they've been in business so long, but lately I'm just not too sure.. I just hope they don't go completely under :crybaby:

ITA. See I used to be a dooney fanatic...but then became wayyy too obssesive with coach. Well, I just "re-looked" at the dooney site and they have a new "fantasy" line that I have to have to have! I can get the bag plus four major accesories for $432 shipped. That beats coachs' prices any day.

Wow. Even the cutting costs; it just seems like Coach is becoming TOO MUCH.

There are TOO MANY bags out there on the market. Coach has NO classic pieces that people can rest assured with (besides maybe the Carly?) and it is all about trends.

I agree with others, if I have $500 laying around I might as well sepend an extra couple hundred and get something higher end - like Vuitton.

^^^ thats what i did . It was between the madison shoulder bag and a speedy...I choose the speedy ..but I still love coach as I've been buying coach bags for the last 12 years or so..my recent and only purchase has been a coach wallet and madison swing pack! I don't think I will ever pay full price ever again. Outlets de-value Coach in my honest opinion!

Wow. Even the cutting costs; it just seems like Coach is becoming TOO MUCH.

There are TOO MANY bags out there on the market. Coach has NO classic pieces that people can rest assured with (besides maybe the Carly?) and it is all about trends.

I agree with others, if I have $500 laying around I might as well sepend an extra couple hundred and get something higher end - like Vuitton.

There are plenty of classic Coach pieces still available IMO :tup: I don't really see the need for the negativity :shrugs:

I, personally, am not crazy about the Coach line right now. But, it will change, as it always does, and some great classic bags will be introduced. Right now, I'm picking up some of the great Bleecker St bags, etc. This last year I plopped down the 735 & 750 + tax for a Speedy 35 and a Neverfull GM. They sit in their soft sleeper bags and I just never want to carry them. I LOVE my collection of Coach. And, I really don't think the outlets de-value Coach. I'm having to call all over the country to find some of these bags I want and do a charge/send from my outlet. Most bags at the outlet are Coach Factory Handbags...made specifically for them. The FP bags they get only go to a small amount of people, in reality! I pay FP for some Coach and if a few ladies end up getting it at the outlet, good for them...but it doesn't take away how I feel about my bag. BTW, I've seen all these other lines on sale at highend department stores. So, they may not have outlets, but they reduce their products. Honestly, with the economic times we're in, I don't think a cut of 10% Corp Staff says anything terrible about Coach. They're doing like most companies right now...doing what's necessary to get through this period.