Article about Coach Sales

Thanx for the article I found it very intersting that Reed is wanting have a new line in 2010 that is more limited and exclusive sounds great! but I am wondering how limited it will be? and are the price points going to be insane! Maybe they will go back to numbered items that would be cool I would love to to own one of these new exclusive bags. Now all they will have to do is market them right so they will sell! in the recession we are in!

The good news for us Coachies is that reduced sales for Coach means they will pump out more coupons to make quarterly earning estimates. I am sticking to my initial estimate that we will see a PCE coupon toward the end of their first quarter (i.e. mid-sept), at least that is what I am banking on to get that garnet in brown.

I cannot believe they said Poppy sales are strong and that they are betting the house on this line....I'd have to see the numbers to believe it. Personally I think the line will have broader appeal in Japan than in the US, so maybe that is where it is selling. The SAs in my boutique say it is not doing as well as they thought it would

Can't wait for Reed's new line!!!

However, Coach won't be "pumping out" PCE coupons this fiscal year. Last year they had a PCE every month...this year the earliest one is planned for October, maybe late September. At full-price stores, items are getting harder and harder to find. Less and less is being sent to the outlets and once it's gone...it's gone.

I know people find it hard to believe how strong poppy has been for Coach, but believe it. Someone's buying it b/c in full-price stores nationwide there are certain styles and colors that were sold out within the first week.

Poppy must be selling in Japan - I really dont see many with it here - but then an old broad like me hangs with a more mature crew and my sons are in Kindergarten and 1st grade so I dont frequent the high school - boy - I think I have PMS - getting so snarky!
You know you cant really believe what companies say in those news articles - they are all about keeping the stockholders happy and confident.

Can't wait for Reed's new line!!!

However, Coach won't be "pumping out" PCE coupons this fiscal year. Last year they had a PCE every month...this year the earliest one is planned for October, maybe late September. At full-price stores, items are getting harder and harder to find. Less and less is being sent to the outlets and once it's gone...it's gone.

I know people find it hard to believe how strong poppy has been for Coach, but believe it. Someone's buying it b/c in full-price stores nationwide there are certain styles and colors that were sold out within the first week.

My SA's have been saying that for the last 6 months or longer, yet PCE's still kept coming out. Corp might not "plan" to do another until October but I think if sales are down, they will issue one earlier to make the numbers. Just my opinion based on auditing Corporate America for so many years and seeing the ways companies operate when they are publically traded and have pressure to meet earnings estimates from analysts.

Do you think the Poppy line was selling out b/c they are simply making less? For example, the Kira just came out and when I called JAX, they said there are only 50 in brown left but I don't think it is flying off the shelves at $900, rather, it was made in a limited quantity. Also, I think when they make some lines more limited, it makes people panic that the bag they want will sell out too...

My SA's have been saying that for the last 6 months or longer, yet PCE's still kept coming out. Corp might not "plan" to do another until October but I think if sales are down, they will issue one earlier to make the numbers. Just my opinion based on auditing Corporate America for so many years and seeing the ways companies operate when they are publically traded and have pressure to meet earnings estimates from analysts.

Do you think the Poppy line was selling out b/c they are simply making less? For example, the Kira just came out and when I called JAX, they said there are only 50 in brown left but I don't think it is flying off the shelves at $900, rather, it was made in a limited quantity. Also, I think when they make some lines more limited, it makes people panic that the bag they want will sell out too...

I love this last line you throw out! it's true to me too, that coach is making less so if you want it best buy it at full price because having less quantities means lower chances of hitting the outlet and that's what coach wants.

poppy appeals to a different customer, as well as some of the customers who've been loyal for years (although there seems to be a huge group of consumers here who'd rather shop for leather classic goods)

pop c glam tote is one that I can think of that is completely sold out and still asked for but will not be replenished. and that's a pretty "out there" bag in terms of the poppy collection which the majority of coachies here seem to not like..

but that doesn't mean the rest of the US and Asia market isn't biting ;)

thanks for the article OP!

I love this last line you throw out! it's true to me too, that coach is making less so if you want it best buy it at full price because having less quantities means lower chances of hitting the outlet and that's what coach wants.

poppy appeals to a different customer, as well as some of the customers who've been loyal for years (although there seems to be a huge group of consumers here who'd rather shop for leather classic goods)

pop c glam tote is one that I can think of that is completely sold out and still asked for but will not be replenished. and that's a pretty "out there" bag in terms of the poppy collection which the majority of coachies here seem to not like..

but that doesn't mean the rest of the US and Asia market isn't biting ;)

thanks for the article OP!

I think Coach is very smart with this marketing strategy and also by making the Poppy line and appealing to a new potentially untapped market. Coach is tryng to make itself more "accessible" to young HS/college girls (e.g. "teen vogue" market), which expands market share. Their loyal customers (most of us here), will continue to buy the classic styles so they have branched out. In a way, they have done themselves a disservice by overmaking FP bags, then dumping them at the outlets at clearance prices. I remember when they used to hold onto bags before sending them to the outlet and then when they did make it, they were slightly discounted (at best, 30% off retail). It blows my mind when I see a bag that was in the store a month earlier now at the outlet at 60%+ off. It has made many of us spoiled. I am willing to "learn the hard way" b/c I just won't buy at FP. Coach hasn't made a bag I can't live without so if I miss out by waiting for a coupon, so be it. There will always be another bag I love that I will get with a PCE. At the end of the day, purses are a luxury, NEVER a necessity.

I totally agree..imo coach stock will dip a little as coach customers either get back to spending at full price with faith it won't hit the outlets asap (takes time) or it will be too late and coach customers now, will not go back to FP so tapping a new market is necessary as well as lowering the price in hopes that the old customer will come back to FP and of course, as always, attracting new customers.

as always time will tell

and imo it's never about need but the want. ;)

Thank you for posting both of these articles playette1222 and ozmodiar.

I want to write a comment but after re-writing my sentence 4x, I think I need to go to bed and try again in the morning. I can't seem to write a coherent sentence!