Art Bag, bag repairing questions in general.

chadap80

Feb 10, 2009
Hi,
I'm recently new to the Purse Forum and would like to ask any of you fine folks out there what or where do you go to repair your purses and bags.
I live in NYC and there is this bag repair shop called Art Bag which is located in Manhattan on 84th & Madison Ave.
I brought two Lanvin bags (two tone Hero from 2006 & Grosgrain Pise sac) with me to get much needed repairs for broken clasps.
They do free estimates and the sales man wanted to charge me $125 for fixing the broken push lock on the Hero and $135 on the Grosgrain Pise sac.
I knew it was way too steep so I only had the Grosgrain Pise sac repaired and will wait later to have the Hero fixed. The salesman guaranteed their workmanship, they do the repairs in their Madison Ave shop and they've gotten good reviews too.
From what I've heard Art Bag is the best out there to have your bags no matter what shape they are in repaired.
Do any other members on the Purse Forum recommend a good place to have your bags repaired.
Thank you.:smile:

doreenjoy

zzz
Feb 6, 2008
I agree, that is a little steep.

I'm a big fan of Lovin' My Bags. Not sure what kind of metal work they do, but they do a great job on small leather stain removal.

If you're friendly with an SA at a purse boutique, you can ask him/ her where they take bags locally for small fixes.

hope that helps

chadap80

Feb 10, 2009
Yeah I've heard of Lovin' My Bags too and that they do a great job cleaning/fixing bags.
The reason for the high price is that they have to replace the entire lock and that place is the only place in the city that I know of that does bag repairs.
But I won't be going to them next time, lesson learned!
Thanks Doreenjoy!

Jesskaz

Jan 3, 2009
^^^ I wouldn't write them off. They do excellent work, worth every penny, IMO. If I pay $1000+ for a bag I want it fixed right. I had them repair the base of one handle on a bag of mine and when I look at the bag I can't tell which of the 4 handle bases they repaired.

Coach10619

Obsessed
May 20, 2008
Usually shoe repair shops will do repair work on purses for pretty cheap. There is a local shop here that I take mine to. I know last time I went there, I went with my cousin because, she had a purse that needed repair too so, we had 3 purses total that we took for repair. One needed an outside zipper, One needed an inside zipper, one needed some stitching done because the leather was comming apart from the fabic. He only charged us around $30 total to repair all 3 purses and I was really surprized to see that he used really nice heavy duty YKK brand zippers on the ones that needed zippers and the one that needed stitching, he matched the color of the thread almost perfect. The shop was just a little family owned shoe repair shop and it don't look like they get a ton of business but, I was really impressed with his work and now, I take almost all my repairs to him.
I know your not in my area but, you may want to check in your phone book and try to find a shoe repair shop local to you. I'm sure they are a lot less expensive than some of those other repair shops.

chadap80

Feb 10, 2009
This is all wonderful and extremely helpful information on bag repairs.
Jesskaz: Thank you for your post, how many times have you used Artbag to repair your bags and do you know any other place besides Artbag in NYC that does good bag repairs?
And to Coach10619, thank you for reminding me about the phone book too...I'm having my duh moment now!

Oct 2, 2008
I think if you're going to go with a shoe repair shop, make sure it's because of recommendations/because you've heard good things about the place. One time I took my leather bag to a shoe repair shop to get the strap shortened (it was bag that goes cross-body), but they completely butchered the work (it was obvious where they cut off the excess leather, and the stiching was just really sloppy).

Also, note that some of these shoe repair shops have policies where they say that if they accidentally spill oil, leather cleaning products, etc. on your item, that they're not responsible for it (really weird I know. You'd think they'd take responsibility since THEY did it. But the place I went to had that policy.)

esohn

May 1, 2013
I also found Artbag through the Wall Street Journal article as I have few bags that have been worn with love and had heard about dramatic changes sending them to a 'bag spa'. My sister had purchased a celine box bag for me a year ago as a deployment present and I wore it as gingerly as I could, but the spring became loose on the clasp. After reading reviews on Artbag, I decided to give them a try even though it read as the more expensive of the bunch. Celines do not come cheap so I assumed that sending it to a higher priced place would mean better results. Boy, was I wrong! The leather on the celine box bag is definitely 'delicate', so in even wearing the bag gently, you will get scratches... but eventually it patinas to a nice finish on its own, and I understood this. However, I had a few minor scratches on it, but was not worried about this at all. I contacted the owner I am assuming, Chris, who I asked if he would be able to send via USPS since I am stationed overseas in a different country. He said no problem and so I happily packaged my item and asked that he replace the spring to make the closing mechanism tighter and sine it was being sent to a 'spa', I asked that they condition the leather if they could. Mind you, this is not a very old bag, so it isn't that the bags leather was worn or anything, I just asked his opinion if anything would protect or put a nice polish on the leather. Once Chris received the bag, he wrote to me promptly and gave me an estimate stating that it would cost $350 to fix the closure (spring) and put a polish on the bag. He told me that it would take three weeks to execute the order and that he would sent it back via insured USPS service that I would pay for and I agreed. Artbag finally sent my bag back after actually four weeks after me asking about it. When I received it, my heart sank. My box bag was cognac but when it came back to me, the color had a cheap red tint on it. Just to make sure I was not crazy, I inspected it and the color on the inside of the flap (the original color), and what was done to the outside was entirely different. They had put a reddish polish on it that cheapened it. Even went over the gold celine stamp on the leather with the polish so that it came out with a cheap pink color on the gold that you could not get off. Then to add more insult to injury, I discovered that the spring had been replaced as asked, but some damage had been done to the housing which does not allow for the newly emplaced sping to stay closed (it jiggles loosely open and closed). The edging of the flap was also damaged (looked like it had been punctured on the edging). It looks like the bag came out in worse condition than when I sent it in! I contacted Chris immediately. He stated that he could either issue me a refund, or that I could send the back to him and he would inspect it and try to address the issues. In retrospect, I should have taken the refund, but I love the bag and gave the company the benefit of the doubt. I hoped in sending it back that they would be able to take the horrible red finish off of it and be able to fix the closure as well since that was what I orginally wanted them to fix. (I should have never told them to polish it since it would have patina-d on its own. I packaged and shipped it back the second time in hopes that Artbag would take better care of the bag since I had addressed the concerns I had with it. Chris then wrote me after receiving it and in so many words discredited all my concerns and stated the following... "The bag was not nor is it currently "discolored". In an attempt to appease you, the bag was cleaned again from beginning to end. It doesn't look any better because the best job was done in the primary cleaning. Unfortunately I am only able to do what the leather allows me to do. You comment on the color, I think you are really disappointed because the scratches remained. This is the nature of that type of leather.
As for the lock, after our repair there is nothing wrong with the closing mechanism. The gap that you are noticing is from normal wear and tear. The bag did not stay closed when you originally sent the bag to me. I replaced the spring and now the bag stays closed. I personally put things inside the bag and shook it to simulate carrying a bag for a ling period of time. " I continued to reiterate that I was not upset about the scratches and even clearly sent pictures of the clasp not closing on its own to include the discoloration (which I will attach to this review if I can). What upset me was the attitude. Chris was accusatory in his assumption that I was not happy since there were scratches on the leather, even though I kept telling him it was the CHEAP red coating placed on the bag that made it lose its class! I asked him not to continue to insult my intelligence. They now to do even respond to my request for resolution. BEWARE!!!

Apr 15, 2007
^ I am sorry that you had a bad experience with Artbag. They have been a highly regarded
bag service for many years but I have heard of other instances where people have been
disappointed with their repairs.

Was there any reason why you did not contact Celine & ask where or who they use to
service their bags?

I don't know how you paid for this repair, but if you did use a credit card you can dispute the
charge & try to work something out. This is alot of money for a bad & unsatisfactory repair

Good luck & keep us posted

esohn

May 1, 2013
@ hotshot, in hindsight, I should have probably gone back to celine. I actually purchased the bag at Celine in Milan and I have had experiences with Italy not offering services like that, so I had some trepidation going back to the store (I live about 2 hours away). So, when I read about Artbag, I figured I would give th bag spa a try because they specialize in this type of thing. (plus I figured a little less expensive). But, I am not sure now if I can go back to them and ask for a repair since it looks like it has been dyed and the clasp now damaged, but it looks like I do not have much to lose at this point. Thanks for the tip about the card... I used a debit card, and I was hoping that Artbag would oblige considering they did not do the job agreed upon, but I guess I have no other recourse at this point. will definitely keep you updated... thanks for the response...

Apr 15, 2007
@ hotshot, in hindsight, I should have probably gone back to celine. I actually purchased the bag at Celine in Milan and I have had experiences with Italy not offering services like that, so I had some trepidation going back to the store (I live about 2 hours away). So, when I read about Artbag, I figured I would give th bag spa a try because they specialize in this type of thing. (plus I figured a little less expensive). But, I am not sure now if I can go back to them and ask for a repair since it looks like it has been dyed and the clasp now damaged, but it looks like I do not have much to lose at this point. Thanks for the tip about the card... I used a debit card, and I was hoping that Artbag would oblige considering they did not do the job agreed upon, but I guess I have no other recourse at this point. will definitely keep you updated... thanks for the response...

I am a big advocate of contacting the manufacturer first. You have made a
significant purchase & usually they have their own sources for repairs.
I am sorry that Artbag has not been more responsive & dismissed you in
such a matter of fact manner.
Good luck to you.

tfd

May 4, 2013
Hi
I had a Bottega Veneta Knot Clutch which was lying safe in my cupboard. Yesterday, I took it out to carry it to a party and to my surprise the knot clasp came off.
I am just so distressed as I dont know what to do next.
I love my clutch. Please guide me as to what to do about this.
Thanks a lot.