'Arrogant' Paris on tourist charm offensive

I'm not going to go on and on about this subject, since every time a thread about French people is opened it tends to turn into a cliché-fest. :Push:

Anyways, I would like to ask tourists or visitors to remember that a lot of French people simply don't understand English!
We are way behind, if you compare us to the Germans, the Dutch, the Northern countries... Almost everyone speaks English in these countries, whereas maybe less than 50% French do.
Imagine if someone asked you a question in Chinese or Wolof... How can you help or even answer if you don't understand?

Just a point to add to the discussion. :flowers:

Sorry to resurrect this, but stereotypes exist for a reason.
I would love to see Paris but it's down on my list of places to see because I perceive them to be the rudest people on the planet. I had the misfortune to stay in a hotel at Charles De Gaulle (don't get me started on Air France :cursing:) recently and the staff there lived up to my expectations.
In the restaurant when we asked to see the wine list, the waitress said (in perfect english) I don't speak english, before that she'd just asked us if we would like a Smoking or Non Smoking table. I appreciate that she may have learned some key phrases but I think it's just an automatic repsonse for the french to say they don't speak english even when they do.

I've been to Paris and when we were there, 2 people went out of their way to help us on different occasions. I didn't think the people were excessively rude at all. No more so than here in the states.:nogood:

I think it's important to try to blend in/respect their culture. Just as Americans expect foreigners to speak English in America, Americans should try to speak their native language when visiting another country. It is very rare to see an American even trying to speak the language when they travel, yet they get really frustrated when the locals don't speak much English.
It is a matter of respect.
enough said! I agree 100%

People in Paris (and France) are not rude, IMO. The attitude that comes out from time to time is a result of cultural misunderstandings. I have seen soooo many rude and obnoxious American tourists there, it is incredible. The French are very polite people and if you understand their etiquette, you won't EVER see anyone behave rudely - but you must respect their customs. Many people don't. Being that Paris is the most visited city in the world, I admire the patience of Parisians.

Never even saw this thread.....but I have to say that Roo's post is one of the few that makes the most sense here. It's a shame how many people say the french are the rudest; If you learn and understand the culture and some of the language, then the french won't come off as "rude." From what I have seen, a lot of non-french people or tourists expect the french to accomdate to them and deviate them from their way of life. I would come off as rude too if those were the expectations of me. Hope that makes sense.:shame: