Arrgghhh! Some tPF sellers should know better...

ratox

Oct 26, 2009
You would think that as members of tPF, the sellers would know what pictures the AT would required to authenticate the items for us interested buyers.

I can't seem to keep track/count of the number of times I had to request for CLEAR CLOSE UPS of this and this and this... I know that some AT don't need so many pictures but would it hurt to have more than 2 or 3 pictures? Or at least have extra pictures on hand just in case more is required? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

OK, sorry for the rant. I apologize for the sellers who were so helpful in responding to my requests of more pictures.

Happy selling/buying.

Well I will admit I was recently guilty of this.

I sold a LV speedy and when someone tried to authenticate my bag here they requested more pics. Problem is the heatstamp was too faint and apparently the pics I took of the hardware wasn't clear enough.

Glad some sellers got back with you quickly.

ITA, as a seller i always have like 10 pics, some of my listings have 30 lol. then as a buyer i get mad 2 like just this week i asked a seller of a Chanel bag to send me some extra pics she emails back very fast and said here are the pics you asked for blah blah blah BUT I DONT SEE ANY PICS so when i email her back telling her i cant view them i never got another reply. Oh well i wont be purchasing that bag then will i?? lol and another time i wanted an LV i asked the seller for one more pic and never got a reply later the listing ended and the bag did not sell i had another look at the listing and saw the seller put the extra pic i asked for in the listing WTH??? OK thats fine if he/she does not want to send pics out to every Tom, Dick and Harry but how long would it have taken to reply to me and let me know?? IDN maby i should have just looked at the listing again "asuming" the seller would do that OH well i got the bag from another seller in the mean time

I know - it's really annoying, when one is trying to authenticate and one has to, not only keep asking the same 'askers' to ask for more pics but, also, that very often, it's the same sellers who are being asked, over and over again (many of whom provide a ton of pics, but very few of the right ones, for some reason [normally they're all artistically angled!]?!); so why they can't just provide the needed pics in the first place, I don't know? :shrugs:

This is one of a few reasons why I just don't have the patience to authenticate on the ATC, anymore.

The other main one being that many of the 'askers' aren't prospective buyers, or sellers of auth. bags, anymore - they are manufacturers/sellers of fakes, trying to see what will 'pass' and sometimes even paid authenticators who, effectively, steal the authentications to sell to their paying clients (who have been falsely led to believe that the paid 'authenticator' is an expert). :tdown:

Last edited:
The other main one being that many of the 'askers' aren't prospective buyers, or sellers of auth. bags, anymore - they are manufacturers/sellers of fakes, trying to see what will 'pass' and sometimes even paid authenticators who, effectively, steal the authentications to sell to their paying clients (who have been falsely led to believe that the paid 'authenticator' is an expert). :tdown:

Do you really think this is the case? I always wondered about the "askers" on the AT threads. I know that it is against the rule to link your own listings to have it authenticated, right? But I have noticed that this rule is "bend" a few times.

There was a listing that I was interested in and I asked for more pics, the seller gave me a link to the AT thread saying that she already had it authenticated. When I went to check the posts, they were over 5 months old with the exact pics. Didn't feel like pursuing any further as I really don't want to be caught in a scam, or bait and switch.

^ Yes, it does happen, sadly.

BTW, sellers are not allowed to post a link to their own auctions (although, people can [and do!] have friends do it, of course!), but they are perfectly at liberty to ask about the authenticity of one of their own items (minus an auction link) via pics. :yes:

If you see someone openly posting a link to their own auction, you can ask them to remove it and/or report the post. :smile:

Personally, I don't see a problem with sellers asking about their own items (without auction links), as it can help them to avoid, accidentally, selling a fake.

However, I think it's safe to say that some sellers are probably just doing it/having friends do it for the free publicity (especially if they already know the item is authentic). :yes:

Still relatively innocent, though and obviously, nowhere near as bad as the reasons for asking I mentioned. :nogood:

I don't think, in your prospective seller's case, that it was, necessarily, a scam - some things just don't sell for a while.

The only problem (over and above the risk one always takes when buying on eBay) would, probably, have been if the seller had used the bag in the interim and/or stored it badly and/or it had just, naturally, aged a bit (e.g. smooth HW tarnish etc.), causing the condition shown in the pics and/or stated in the description to no longer have been accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing things up. The last point you made makes really good sense. I hate to get a bag that is SNAD. (Hey I'm getting good at remembering these abreviations) :smile: