Army/military trend - will it last?

Mayki

Aug 12, 2009
I'm really loving the army/military trend (greenish military shirts, parkas, hiking boots with heels, etc) but do you guys think it will last? Or is it already out?

In 2001, a UK (Channel 4) TV series called She's Gotta Have It broadcasted a Military/Safari special, in Glasgow. One lady opted for a white shirt and tie set from Reiss, together with a charcoal skirt and handbag. Another opted for dark green colours, though turning down the military jacket. It is one of the most versatile looks going...

The military look and variations thereof come and go every few seasons. The same jacket that might be "safari" one spring could easily be reinterpreted as "military" in the fall. The sharp tailoring and shiny brass buttons are a little more obvious and definitely wax and wane as far as popularity goes, but tailored pieces are very flattering to many people, so a more understated style could work well for years. As with any trend, the far edges of it will be "out" relatively soon, but more moderate items will work for a long while.

The military look and variations thereof come and go every few seasons. The same jacket that might be "safari" one spring could easily be reinterpreted as "military" in the fall. The sharp tailoring and shiny brass buttons are a little more obvious and definitely wax and wane as far as popularity goes, but tailored pieces are very flattering to many people, so a more understated style could work well for years. As with any trend, the far edges of it will be "out" relatively soon, but more moderate items will work for a long while.

I agree, I remember when Helmut Lang was very popular in the late 90s and the military look was played up quite a bit back then. It's come back and again several times since then.