ARGH - please help with advice!

mich327

Oct 7, 2006
Hi - I sold an authentic Chloe bag on eBay very recently, which I know was authentic because I bought it myself at Chloe (but no, I don't have a receipt now - I bought it in Feb 2009). The buyer is claiming it is fake, but I know it is not. She says she took it to a retailer who also said it was fake.

Last time this happened to me, with a bag I bought at Saks and the eBayer said it was fake (even though I had the receipt and the bag was nwt), I didn't get the bag back and I PayPal refunded the buyers money.

I'm really stressed out and don't want to repeat the situation. What do I do?

The way I have always understood it.....the burden of proof of authenticity would now rest with the buyer, she would need to prove to ebay/pp that it is fake.....they usually have the buyer get it professionally authenticated by a third party....someone like Carol Diva who gives it on official letter head.

You need to be very proactive here.....CALL ebay and tell them what is happening. Tell them you have a buyer who cries fake, but it's real. keep all correspondence with this buyer through the ebay message system.

If you take a return , tell her you put a secret mark on the bag somewhere so you know it's definately yours, this will hopefully stop bait and switch.
Oh, and retailers a lot of the time would have no idea what's fake and what's genuine, they don't pore over bags for hours like we do here :biggrin:

OMG - I have pictures and could have you ladies authenticate - I KNOW IT'S AUTHENTIC, I BOUGHT IT MYSELF. But, all within the space of writing this and getting back online after a series of meetings, PayPal decided in her favor. I didn't even see any proof.

What do I do?

I'm so upset that I just threw up my lunch

OMG - I have pictures and could have you ladies authenticate - I KNOW IT'S AUTHENTIC, I BOUGHT IT MYSELF. But, all within the space of writing this and getting back online after a series of meetings, PayPal decided in her favor. I didn't even see any proof.

What do I do?

Tell her to return the bag for sure. Surely PP must make the buyer do that much? I would call PP and talk to someone and explain.

What do I do?

Oh no! You will have to refund her, but she will still need to return the bag

What do I do?

Don't get so upset. You can't ta[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ke these things personally. I swear I hate ebay/pp sometimes....they should have required that buyer to prove it was fa[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ke....they usually do. I'm sorry this happened.

I'm sure she's been directed to return the bag to you....hopefully the same bag comes bac
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]k in the same condition it was sent out it. Once they see it's been returned to you they will refund her. If you do not have money in your pp account, they will put a lien on it till the money comes in. If you don't replenish the money they will send you to collections....again, sorry this happened.[/FONT]

Last time this happened, the buyer sent me NOTEBOOKS back instead of my bag and I had to refund and never got the bag, and the guy got crazy on me and starting harrassing me for months.

I am just so upset, I feel like I will never sell on eBay again. How can they take her word without even waiting to hear from me when the case was opened TODAY? And the fact is, I am as positive as someone can be that the bag is real, as it didn't even come from Saks or NM, but directly from the boutique!

And now PayPal has frozen my account and nobody can even pay for my auctions that already ended :sad:

Do I have ANY recourse here???

Dear God, mish327...you have had horrible luck on Ebay! Hopefully you'll get YOUR bag back. I would go over that bag with a fine-tooth comb and open the package, in public. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow I feel bad for you, there are dishonest people but there are also people that are told the wrong thing (i.e a bag is fake when it isn't) and jump to untrue conclusions.

Does the buyer seem very unreasonable? Could you try to email her again and say to post the bag on the chloe ATC?
If you have pictures could you post them there and direct her to the thread?

Did the claim outcome say that the buyer has to return the bag first to get a refund or did PP/ebay just refund the money?

If she has to return first I would say want a previous poster said, ie contact her and say the bag has a secret seller's mark inside and on return of the exact bag you will refund money to her.
If they just gave the refund the only thing you can do is call them and argue it out, did you send the bag with tracking and to a confirmed address?

I think although you are upset you still have to try to fight it.

The way I have always understood it.....the burden of proof of authenticity would now rest with the buyer, she would need to prove to ebay/pp that it is fake.....they usually have the buyer get it professionally authenticated by a third party....someone like Carol Diva who gives it on official letter head.

You need to be very proactive here.....CALL ebay and tell them what is happening. Tell them you have a buyer who cries fake, but it's real. keep all correspondence with this buyer through the ebay message system.

agree here.. if you can contact your cc company and ask for a receipt

you will have proof of purchase that the bag is authentic.. if you

bought in a dept store you can ask for a duplicate copy of the charge

cc and dept stores can go back for several years ..