argh! "mint" bag smells like cigarette smoke!

burntoast5

Nov 24, 2007
Hi everyone! I just bought a beautiful Biasa leather bag on ebay - the seller listed it as mint condition. It looks brand new with the exception that it REEKS of cigarette smoke. I have been looking and looking for this style bag and got a really good deal on it, so I don't want to send it back.

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of the smell? It is leather with a satin-lined interior. I am so bummed :sad:

Oh, that is disgusting. I'm sorry, but I would return it. That smell will never go away, to be honest.

I'm sure it was still never used, you would be surprised how just sitting in a smoke-environment will reek of smoke, just from the smoke being airborne. I remember years ago my mother-in-law did our laundry for us because our washer & dryer were broken, and I had to redo all of it because it just reeked of cigarette smoke (obviously she was a smoker).

Disgusting.

I just bought a chanel with the same problem. I sprinkled baking soda on the bag(inside and out) a few times and placed it outside to air out. Brush the baking soda off with a soft brush to make sure it is not in the crevices. The smell is completely gone. I am a non smoker so it was really nauseating, but, I got a great deal on the bag. Also spray febreze around it in a mist(not on the leather) several times also. The spray should be about three feet away from the bag.

If that doesn't work than return the bag. We should have asked if the seller was a smoker before we bought the bag. Oh well, live an learn.

I have this issue with vintage bags. They often reek of ciggies and old perfume. On one occasion i found a very vintage lucky strike complete with lipstick ring! I second the baking soda trick. Let it air out (prop it open with tissue or newspaper if you must) and you can try vacuuming out the baking soda, too.
If I found a bag I loved and it smelled like cigarettes, I'd still go for it.

Ugh! I hate that! I always forget to ask since I don't smoke. I think it should be incumbent upon the sellers to mention the item is coming from a smoker's home. Mint condition to me means the same condition in which it is purchased from the store, and obviously, items from high end stores are not going to smell of anything!

Once I was about to buy something and at the last minute remembered to ask about making sure it came from a "non-smoking" environment.

it's a good thing to ask or even advertise if you're a seller.

good luck with the bag, there may be some other threads on getting it out.

Ugh! I hate that! I always forget to ask since I don't smoke. I think it should be incumbent upon the sellers to mention the item is coming from a smoker's home. Mint condition to me means the same condition in which it is purchased from the store, and obviously, items from high end stores are not going to smell of anything!
the thing is, smokers won't notice their own stinky smoke smell , so probably think it smells fine, bleugh

How horrible, but the good news is that there are ways of getting the smell out of the bag. Airing is usually effective, but there have been other suggestions in the past, so maybe worth doing a search for some 'top tips'!

Whatever you decide, be sure to notify the seller so she will know to mention the smoking issue next time she lists something.
Hope you can get the smell out!

I received a bag "only used 3x" last week that reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeked of perfume & cigarette smoke. OMG. I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to put it in the garage, as that is too hot of an environment for it to air out. I didn't want any other room in my house smelling like it. *sigh*

Same thing happened to me...A good airing out for a few days, then I carefully sat a box of baking soda in it and zipped it up...it worked like a charm. I'm so glad I kept the bag, because it was a hard one to locate in such great shape! Good luck!