Aretha Franklin

Jan 28, 2007
Franklin Slams Beyonce Grammy Intro

Wed Feb 13, 2:33 AM ET

When Aretha Franklin is unhappy, she does not mince words. On Tuesday, the longtime Queen of Soul slammed Beyonce Knowles' intro to Tina Turner at Sunday's Grammy Awards, in which Knowles called Turner, not Franklin, "the queen."
"I am not sure of whose toes I may have stepped on or whose ego I may have bruised between the Grammy writers and Beyonce," Franklin said in a statement issued by her publicist. "However, I dismissed it as a cheap shot for controversy."
E-mails to Knowles' publicist Yvette Noel-Schure and calls and e-mails to Recording Academy spokeswomen Jaime Sarachit and Barb Deghan were not immediately returned.
In the first few seconds of Knowles' intro to Turner's performance, she name-dropped Franklin and a long list of famed female singers. Then the "Crazy in Love" chanteuse focused on Turner.
"There is one legend who has the essence of all of those things: the glamour, the soul, the passion, the strength, the talent," said Knowles, strutting in hot pants. "Ladies and gentlemen. Stand on your feet and give it up for the queen."
At a party later that night, Knowles called Turner her "ultimate icon."
Still, Franklin ended her brief criticism on a gracious note, thanking the Grammys and the voting academy and saying, "love to Beyonce anyway."
Known for such hits as "Respect" and "Chain of Fools," Franklin tied with the Clark Sisters for best gospel performance trophy for her duet "Never Gonna Break My Faith" with Mary J. Blige.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080213...ha_franklin;_ylt=Ajwp2kefen9qQl5Ub84rCTLqChkF

Curious... what do you think of this?

I don't see the slam anywhere. What exactly did Aretha say?

I think it's just semantics. Beyonce clearly looks up to Aretha. There's clearly no question about that.

On the other hand, if Aretha Franklin is known as the Queen of Soul and Beyonce calls someone else the queen then I could see how some people might see that as treason.

I didn't see a slam{?}

It's obvious why Beyonce said those things about TT though. . . SHE WAS PERFORMING /? HER!!! LOL!
And God forbid Beyonce actually prefer TT over Aretha. . . I do ;) But I love Natalie Cole too . . . hard decision.

Good grief, women embarrass me sometimes:shame:

yeah, that comment bothered me too. . . like the song
"you're so vain . . you probably think this song is about you you're so vain!!!"

Yes Aretha, EVERYthing is alllll about YOU! LOL!

If she'd get her head out of her own keister she'd know that Beyonce is NOT about controversy and it her remarks come off more as a shot at TT IMO. Like TT isn't good enough for the comments.:rolleyes:

yeah, that comment bothered me too. . . like the song
"you're so vain . . you probably think this song is about you you're so vain!!!"

Yes Aretha, EVERYthing is alllll about YOU! LOL!

If she'd get her head out of her own keister she'd know that Beyonce is NOT about controversy and it her remarks come off more as a shot at TT IMO. Like TT isn't good enough for the comments.:rolleyes:

Nice Carly Simon reference, Swanky! :tup: