Are You Scared of Lamb?

Luv iz Louis

Jul 22, 2012
I am really wanting to buy a Classic Flap bag (med/large) but pre-loved and have spent ages looking at them on-line etc. I adore the look of Lamb - it looks so rich and lovely & I do have a pre-loved Caviar Jumbo in Beige Clair (avatar) but for some reason I am not sure the Caviar black flaps look as nice for some reason?

I am really torn between the practicality of Caviar but the Luxury of Lamb. I know that if I scratch or dent the Lamb I will fall down in a heap in tears - but yet my heart goes there every time I see it. And I worry about maintaining Lamb.

I am sure other members here have wrestled with the same thing & I wondered how you all came to the conclusion you have to buy which you chose for yourself?

I love my Jumbo Caviar BC but she is heavy and I am looking at adding a GST to my collection too, but would like the smaller med/large bag for dinners out and weekend lunches etc. The Jumbo is hard to manage on your lap (hehe).

I know you can't make up my mind for me, but maybe you can point out things I have not thought about :smile:

Why don't you peruse the lambskin care thread as well as do a search for threads where members posted their lambskin bags after many years of use? I think what you find by doing this research yourself will be a new perspective that you come to on your own. Many members here can say this or that here in this thread, but if you actively search & find some answers yourself perhaps that might be more meaningful to you. Lamb is really not that scary. My first Chanel was a lamb & it still looks fabulous (you'll see some of my bags in those threads as well as those of others). Happy searching & reading!

I agree the lamb looks utterly beautiful but I would not feel comfortable spending so much money on something that can be damaged so easily. My friend's lamb bags (of say a couple or so years old) have a few scratches and marks to corners. It is nothing major (she has babied them) and if you will likely sell on or grow your collection then it is probably just one of those things. For me, I went for a black caviar jumbo as I know I will likely keep it forever and I want the best chance of it looking 'new' for as long as possible. Also I am unlikely to amass a large Chanel collection. I do accept that lamb looks nicer but I think I would have been a bit scared of using it. That's just me though. Lots love using lamb and good for them.

I agree the lamb looks utterly beautiful but I would not feel comfortable spending so much money on something that can be damaged so easily. My friend's lamb bags (of say a couple or so years old) have a few scratches and marks to corners. It is nothing major (she has babied them) and if you will likely sell on or grow your collection then it is probably just one of those things. For me, I went for a black caviar jumbo as I know I will likely keep it forever and I want the best chance of it looking 'new' for as long as possible. Also I am unlikely to amass a large Chanel collection. I do accept that lamb looks nicer but I think I would have been a bit scared of using it. That's just me though. Lots love using lamb and good for them.

Yes this sounds like me - I will be keeping my very small number of Chanels for my lifetime which is why I am trying to make sensible decisions as they are just all so expensive so I want to get it right. I am worried I will be afraid to use it too. That is why I thought a vintage one might be nice because then it is not so prefect - but I am still nervous.......

Why don't you peruse the lambskin care thread as well as do a search for threads where members posted their lambskin bags after many years of use? I think what you find by doing this research yourself will be a new perspective that you come to on your own. Many members here can say this or that here in this thread, but if you actively search & find some answers yourself perhaps that might be more meaningful to you. Lamb is really not that scary. My first Chanel was a lamb & it still looks fabulous (you'll see some of my bags in those threads as well as those of others). Happy searching & reading!
yes I shall revisit those threads, thank you :smile:

You may consider purchasing a lambskin WOC..., a little less of an investment. I have a light pink lambskin WOC and it still looks perfect. I am less afraid of the lambskin, maybe I just baby my bags too much...but no issues yet.

Personally I prefer caviar and if I wanted something softer and more luxurious, I choose calfskin like with the reissues. I used to have Maxi red flap and its one of my most expensive purchases but I only used it about 10x for the 3 years I have it. Its so hard for me to use it given that it scratched so easily and that I have to baby it so much to the point that I cant even enjoy it. From then on I stayed with caviar. It might rougher and less luxurious than lamb but I get to use it with not as much worry and if it gets dirty or wet. I can easily wipe it off. For the price of chanel now
I wanted them to last but I also wanted to use them as well. It is my personal choice and have nothing againts people who loves lamb. Good luck on your choice.

yes I shall revisit those threads, thank you :smile:

All of these links I got via search and are good to look at. The first has photos of lambskin jumbos after wear, the 2nd is about who uses a lambskin bag as an everyday bag, the 3rd is about using your bag, the 4th is about buying lambskin and if there is regret, and the 5th one is a lambskin pep talk thread. So you don't even have to do the work of a search, I've done it for you. All you have to do is read, and I think you might find some useful information there.

You may consider purchasing a lambskin WOC..., a little less of an investment. I have a light pink lambskin WOC and it still looks perfect. I am less afraid of the lambskin, maybe I just baby my bags too much...but no issues yet.

Thank you, at this time I am not after a WOC though and they are very expensive here too .......so I can buy a pre-loved flap for a similar price. I may get a WOC in the future though - who knows....... but a GST and M/L are on my wish list now. ;)

To answer your question; yes, I am afraid of lambskin! My first Chanel is a caviar finish because, although I absolutely loved the lambskin , I was very nervous about how the lamb would hold up over time.

This is a bag I plan on using on an almost daily basis so I wanted a durable finish. I still plan on buying a lambskin, too, but for dressier occasions.

You also might want to check out this thread.

Lamb isn't as bad as you think by the way!

http://forum.purseblog.com/showthread.php?t=874584

This is a great thread - I always thought Caviar was not as nice (and I still think looking closely at the bag I am not keen on the "pimples" hehe) but looking at them in the photo you have there, they both look pretty nice.......now to keep looking at the other threads ;)

I bought a lot of delicate bags in the beginning of my designer bag buying so now I am much more cognizant of long term wear and tear on my bags. I absolutely love caviar but I also really love aged calf/calfskin since it's smoother to the touch. But since I already have some caviar bags I am ready for something different and wouldn't mind a dark colored lamb bag. But if this were my only Chanel I would probably only get caviar. :smile: