Are you right of left-handed?

Are you RIGHT or LEFT handed??

• Left-Handed

• Right-Handed

Results are only viewable after voting.

RobbieNEmmy

I made it!
Jan 3, 2006
I find handedness and it's connections to human traits fascinating! Supposedly... left handed people tend to be creative in mind, or very abstract; either in the arts, or sciences.

I'm a lefty, along with my grandmother and cousin. THAT'S IT. I have a huge family, and only 3 are southpaws! Although out of us 3, only 2 write with our left. My grandmother went to a small Catholic school in Brooklyn. When the nuns saw her writing, they would slap her wrists with rulers! Ouch! Consequently, she now writes with her right hand for the most part. My cousin, who later on went to the same school, did not have this problem. This time, the nuns would orientate her paper as if she was right handed. Weird...

What about y'all?? :amuse:

Intersting, my mom is a lefty and she's very mathematical..... not artsy.

I'm a righty, very artiscally inclined, and I've been told I'm quite creative. ;)

and I suck at math. lol.

I'm a lefty as well and my strong points are Math and Chemistry. I'm majoring in Chem next fall! I was told the bit about the creativity by my cousin. Maybe it's on a case to case basis though? lol ^_^

Maybe I'm wrong and I don't know if this has something to do with being right handed or left handed..... But, all I know is that the left brain is more concerned with language and mathematical abilities and it is also the analytical side of the brain. The right side of the brain is far more superior with regards to art, music and the expression of emotions, it is intuitive, poetic, more artistic. Which I think your grandmother is.
We all use both sides of our brains but many of us are predominantly left-brain or right-brain persons.:biggrin: And to answer your question I'm right handed!

I just looked it up on Wikipedia:

Left-handedness and intelligence

A common belief suggests that left-handed people are more intelligent or creative than right-handed people, but this theory is largely unfounded. In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand[8], Chris McManus of University College London, argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centres of the brain.

In Britain, around 13% of men and 11% of women are now left-handed, compared to just 3% of those born before 1910. McManus suggests a number of factors that may be driving this increase:
  • Left-handers were severely discriminated against during the 18th and 19th centuries and it was often "beaten out" of people
  • In adulthood, left-handers were often shunned by society, resulting in fewer marrying and reproducing
  • As discrimination was reduced in the 20th century, the number of natural left-handers who stayed left-handed increased
  • The rising age of motherhood contributed as, statistically, older mothers are more likely to give birth to left-handed children
McManus says that the increase could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting or artistic geniuses.

Unfortunately, it is not all good news for left-handers. They tend to be over-represented at both ends of the intellectual scale, and as well as geniuses, the group also produces a disproportionately high number of those with learning handicaps. There have been suggestions of links between left-handedness and dyslexia, stuttering, and child autism, among other disabilities.

I'm right handed, but I do certain things with my left hand. I had a knife in my left hand and was cutting a piece of steak, and my mom went crazy and tried to make me switch! My brother was just like...what the heck?! Leave her alone!

I'm right handed in writing, but do most everything else with my left hand. I'm sort of artsy. My mom is left handed and does everything with her left hand. She's a little absent minded. My grandmother and her teachers used to try to make her do stuff and write with her right hand, but she purposely used the left. She's like that. lol hehe I heard somewhere only 10% of the world is lefty... I also heard, people used to believe lefties were evil or touched by the devil or something silly like that.

purselova34 said:
I also heard, people used to believe lefties were evil or touched by the devil or something silly like that.

That's precisely why the nuns at my grandmother's schools would not permit her to use her left hand. How silly and ignorant it seems though...

RobbieNEmmy said:
That's precisely why the nuns at my grandmother's schools would not permit her to use her left hand. How silly and ignorant it seems though...

I don't think it's silly. :sad2: People always act weird around something different. It's sad it's most people's nature to freak out when something is different than the "norm". People can't help the way they're born.

purselova34 said:
I don't think it's silly. :sad2: People always act weird around something different. It's sad it's most people's nature to freak out when something is different than the "norm". People can't help the way they're born.

That's true. I mean now-a-days it's quite silly to believe something like that. Back then I suppose it was just commonly accepted.