Workplace Are you happy with your SO's career?

I'm happy with his career choice and I have to admit that how he looked at his career ambition is one of the reason why I chose to be with him. He aint a millionaire but hes one of the hard working person I've known after my dad.

:yes: This is one of the reasons why I fell inlove with DH. I'm happy about his career. He's young considering all the things he has accomplished. :smile:

My dh is a Physician practicing Psychiatry. He loves his job so much, loves his patients and has a very good heart. I'm very proud of how hard he works.

A couple of years back he decided he wanted to do some work with inner-city youth for very low pay in addition to his other job. We talked about it in depth and I've always felt it was more important for him to do what makes him happy.
He sees so much heartbreak, Meth-addicted parents, abuse, many foster kids with various behavorial issues. He also volunteers his time on the board of a school for at-risk kids.
a few months ago I remember going through his pockets while doing the laundry and found a small card that said in blue crayon, "Dr. XXXX thank you for saving my life and making me whole again."

OMG, I wanted to cry after I read your post! You are so fortunate to have a husband like that. What a wonderful person!

As for me, hubby loves what he does. He is a computer geek and he works with databases all day long. I can't imagine doing something like that, I think I would be bored to tears, but he loves it, makes a good living, and at the end of the day he comes home happy. What more could I ask for? I make more money than he does, but he doesn't care. So we're good.

And, we met in October 1999, didn't get engaged until December 2002, got married in May 2004. Anyone who thinks that engagements need to come in a certain time frame aren't being realistic.

My husband is a hard worker, he has worked two jobs in the past when we needed the money, he is respected and well liked at his job and he is happy there...that works for me. We were very young when we met and it never occurred to me what he was going to do for a carreer, he was honest and kind and cute so...so far it's all good!

When I met my dh he had just graduated so had not yet started his career. However in the few years since he has done really well and is on the fast track to be chartered (he is a structural engineer0. i think if he didn't have ambition I would find him less attractive, as I am very ambitious too. However, money is not as important as him enjoying his job (though the money can be nice too!)

Yeah, I do.
Usually.

He works A LOT though and has a lot of responsiblities = STRESS.
But he's uber ambitious and moticated and this is what attracted me to him {among other things}.
In the 10 yrs I've known him he's accelerated career-wise faster than anyone else in the Company and I'm really proud of him for it:heart:
But that doesn't come w/o some casualties . . . he's gone A LOT.

Oh man, I hear that!!

Well, I am certainly happy w/ DH's income. But owning his own business means he is always thinking about work and works long hours. He's extremely ambitious and I couldn't imagine being married to any other kind of man. It's hard when he's away a lot of the time, either travelling or just in the office.

Ultimately HE is happy doing what he does, and controlling his own destiny. AND he makes our kid's a priority when he is home. That's the most important thing to me. AND that b/c of the $$ I am able to comfortably stay at home without having to sacrifice too many lux's.

I guess my husband is a loser because we dated for 5 years. Due to your close minded opinion I'm sure you aren't interested that he was stationed overseas in the military. It's kind of hard to marry someone in Iraq while you're stateside. There's also that whole readjustment period after...and he wanted to start school to achieve his goal of becoming a computer engineer.

Anyway, I can see where the original subject was coming from. I love that he's motivated and goal oriented and would probably not have been interested if he was content with the position he held five years ago.

I could never be with anyone that wasn't ambitious since I'm driven myself but if you are going to be with someone that is highly motivated you have to take into account you can't always have your cake and eat it too

my DH is an artist/songwriter and when he's on the road we never see each other :sad: we've missed many holidays and other special events together thats why when he is home we make it count:yes:

@ times I wish I could be with someone that has a 9-5 especially when it's 2 or 3 mos. since we've seen each other but my dh is doing what makes him happy and if hes happy I'm happy :smile:

Sometimes people make comments to....ahem...start trouble. Don't let it bother you.

I am happy with DH's career. I can relate to the OP's friend because I dated quite a bit before I met DH. I dated guys who had no ambition at all and not a dime to their name. And it was exhausting. I only considered marrying one of them. We dated for three years and I could tell what life would be like with him. First of all, he never helped around the house. So that meant I would have to do all that. He hated his current job and complained constantly about getting out of bed. He was going back to school but his career choice would not make that much money so I would have to work. I knew I would have a hard, hard life, especially if I wanted children. Plus, we fought all the time. He ONLY wanted to watch football during his off time.

With my DH, we met later in life so I KNEW he was successful in his career. But since we met, his career has taken off even more. The thing I like is that he is usually home by 6 p.m. He works with truly NICE people, which I really appreciate. He could make a lot more than he does by working in investment banking but we would see a lot less of him so it isn't worth it to us.

my mom said that she knew it would never last with my exboyfriend when i told her that i thought he did a half-assed job on a project for a prospective employer. it took me 6 months come to the same conclusion, but she was absolutely right. he was a web developer and between jobs after the company he worked for got bought out, and he was doing a project as sort of an extended job interview. he was wracking up debt and complaining about being out of a job, yet he was dicking around a lot and watching ESPN instead of working the hell out of that project. it bothered me SO much. i came to see, eventually, that stuff like that was indicative of major personality flaws that i had been trying to ignore, but they were ultimately a deal-breaker for me.

my current SO is a semester away from becoming a high school teacher and i couldn't be happier about it. sure, it's not millions of dollars, but i have no doubt in my mind that i can make enough money in my life to buy myself what i want without having to drain the bank account of whomever i end up with, so that's not a concern.

to me, it's important for my SO to work hard, be good at what he does, and desire to get better and move up the ranks. a fat paycheck is not necessary, but i prefer someone that wants to work in an industry with good job availability. i'm an extremely competative and driven person, and it's really unattractive to me if someone's not a hard worker.

Well, pimping brings in the cash, but the hoes hanging around the house 24/7 gets old.

:P Sorry, couldn't resist.

On a serious note, my DH seems happier having his own contracting business, so if he's happy with it, so am I.

My friend did what your friend did five years ago. She broke up with her bf because she decided that he wasn't going anywhere in his career. He was a tradesman and she was looking for someone more "white collar." Well, her ex now has his own business, his own house, and a beautiful wife. She, on the other hand, hasn't made any changes in her life and is in the same place.

My boyfriend is 22 and still living at home (housing is MUCH too expensive in Calgary right now) and he works as a bartender. He pretty much pays for everything himself except food and housing, and his job's doing a pretty good job of supporting his necessities and an expensive girlfriend. He loves bartending so if he's happy, I'm happy.

This is not he wants to do for the rest of his life though...he got a tech school diploma a year ago but I think he wants to go back to school in a year or so and enter a media program for designing games or graphics; that's what he really wants to do in life.

So yes, I am happy with what he's doing right now, and I'm proud of his determination to go back to school. I always thought I'd wanted a boyfriend with an office job or something just because I'm like that (silly little thought of a teenager) but right now it doesn't matter any more.