Are You Ever Tempted to "Butt In" at the Outlet?

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
Do you ever see someone buying a MFF bag at the outlet and feel the urge to tell him/her to get an FP delete bag instead? That's happened in situations when I feel that the FP delete is a nicer bag and a better bargain, but I usually resist the urge and walk away.

I was at the outlet this weekend and I overheard a man talking to a SA about buying a purse for his wife. She was showing him the Chalk Sierra Satchel with embossed snake trim F57504 SV CAH and telling him that it is a very popular bag (and I am sure that's true).

I think that the MFF chalk Sierra Satchel is very attractive and well-made and I am sure his wife will love it; but there was another chalk purse sitting on a nearby shelf that I felt was a much nicer bag - the chalk Nomad 36026 LI CHK.

I don't know how much they were asking for the Sierra Satchel, I'm guessing $150? But the Nomad was reduced 60% and was selling for $198 (retail $495). Not a big difference IMO.

I was so tempted to butt in and say "if you want to buy a white bag for your wife then give her the real deal!" and then take him over to the Nomad display and tell him about the difference between MFF and FP and show him the thick glove-tanned leather and the brown leather lining - but I didn't do any of those things. I held my peace and later saw him in the checkout line holding the Sierra Satchel. I am sure that his wife will be thrilled because it is a very nice bag and it was a gift from her thoughtful husband.

So do you ever feel the urge to "butt in" at the outlet?

Below are drill-down pics of the 2 bags and they are both beautiful, do you agree with my choice or am I just a FP snob?

Chalk Sierra Satchel SV CAH:
sierra_f57504_svcah_a0.jpg

Chalk Nomad 36026 LI CHK:
Nomad_36026_lichk_a0.jpg

I actually was in a very similar situation in an outlet a couple of years ago close to Christmas. It was a husband and his son looking to get something for his wife. They needed help and the SA was showing them all these MFF bags. At the time there were quite a few deletes in the store. After the SA left, I went over and explained to him the difference between MFF and the deletes that were in the store. He was very appreciative and he ended up buying 2 great deletes for his wife. I couldn't help myself from butting in - they looked so lost.

This is a really funny question because I've been tempted to do the same thing! If a wayward husband happened to ask for my advice, I'd give him a quick run down on factory vs. boutique, but only if solicited. I live less than an hour from the Cabazon outlets, so I visit every few weeks and my experience is that lots of shoppers really do think they're scoring a great deal . I've spoken to friends who don't realize that the outlets carry completely different merchandise. But, to each his own . So while the tourists are grabbing the MFF bags, I thread my way quickly to the back wall to see what goodies have come down the pipeline....it's amazing when I see a bag I yearned for years ago sitting on the shelf!:eek:

I have yet to go to an outlet, I understand they have different items from the stores but didn't know one is preferred over the other.

As far as butting in, I do lots of that. Sometimes I just can't help myself. Most of the time people are appreciative but there's also the few people that give you a strange look and you're like okay then nevermind. I always just shrug it off if they react negatively.

I have yet to go to an outlet, I understand they have different items from the stores but didn't know one is preferred over the other...

As far as what is preferred, that's up to personal tastes. My opinion is that the boutique FP bags are generally more detailed and better made - but there are many very nice Made for Factory (MFF) bags and items.

However, many people feel that getting a FP bag at a lower price (on sale, or as deleted overstock at the outlet, or on the Factory Online Sale) is the better bargain because the boutique bags actually sold for the listed price when they were newly released. The MFF bags are marked up and then immediately marked down to give the impression that you are getting a great deal - but that may not always be true.

In my example above, the Nomad really did cost $498 when it was new, so getting it for $198 is a bargain; but the price of the Sierra Satchel was inflated and then marked down, so it is probably being sold for it's (real) original price - even though it looks like you are getting a great deal. Not only do I think that the Nomad is the better made, more attractive bag - I also think that it gives you the best bang for your buck!

You'd think the SAs would try to sell customers the pricier bags, right? ( which in that case would have been the Nomad. )
I was never tempted to convince anyone to go with a FP delete when I was buying purses. Truth be told...I wanted the deletes to myself...and that was usually the case. [emoji16] I made a beeline for the delete section every single time I went to the outlets.

Given the choice between just those 2, I'd pick the Sierra. I don't like gold hardware or shoulder bags. I'd prefer the satchel with silver hardware and a zip closure .
Maybe he was already stretching his budget to get the mff bag and another $50 would be too much. Butting in might make him feel bad for buying, I guess what you're calling, a cheaper made bag.
I prefer deletes, but have also found some really nice mff bags and I wouldn't not buy something just because it's mff - I mean I'm at the outlet after all.

By the way, they are currently selling the exact same chalk/snake Sierra Satchel on the Factory Online Sale for $199 so it is costs virtually the same as the FP delete chalk Nomad ($198). That's a lot of money for the Sierra Satchel IMO, I definitely think that the Nomad is the better bag and the best bargain!

Now that I know that they are the same price I kind of wish that I had butted in to explain the differences and show the Nomad to him, and then let him decide - oh well - too late!

Reactions: SEWDimples
As far as what is preferred, that's up to personal tastes. My opinion is that the boutique FP bags are generally more detailed and better made - but there are many very nice Made for Factory (MFF) bags and items.

However, many people feel that getting a FP bag at a lower price (on sale, or as deleted overstock at the outlet, or on the Factory Online Sale) is the better bargain because the boutique bags actually sold for the listed price when they were newly released. The MFF bags are marked up and then immediately marked down to give the impression that you are getting a great deal - but that may not always be true.

In my example above, the Nomad really did cost $498 when it was new, so getting it for $198 is a bargain; but the price of the Sierra Satchel was inflated and then marked down, so it is probably being sold for it's (real) original price - even though it looks like you are getting a great deal. Not only do I think that the Nomad is the better made, more attractive bag - I also think that it gives you the best bang for your buck!
Ah, thank you for explaining! I totally agree with you, and I think the Nomad is more attractive as well. :biggrin:

Reactions: katev
The Nomad is such a great bag and made extremely well. I haven't been in this situation but I have no problems (usually) butting in and putting my .02 in. [emoji41]

While i have no problem admitting i beeline for the clearance area to check out deletes unless i was asked, i wouldn't bother trying to interfere it's only a purse, and while i know many do not understand the concept of factory bags, i also believe almost as many simply don't care lol.

Many of the SA know me in the outlet too, i certainly don't want to come off as some pushy know it all, messing up sales.. often when they see me they will point out an item i may have interest in. As well, one could be met with a confrontational response vs positive i have no desire to argue with a stranger over a handbag.

Look ultimately, i get what your saying, i'd be all over that Nomad and **I** know why it is a much better bag and deal but that's why were all here because we do care and are informed on these things, many in the 'real world' just buy what appeals to them and skip wanting to know the inner workings and beyond of purses. ;)

I am with you, Katev, I would have actually butted in and said something! As you can tell from my avatar, I love Nomad, and even promoted it to my bff who just got one in the Grey Birch with the floral embellishments on the handle. They are a definitely better quality bag than the crossgrain leathers.