Are you buying smarter???

lovecoachmore

Aug 21, 2008
I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, so I wanted others to chime in.

I think as I've evolved my Coach collection and knowledge over the past few years I've learned to buy smart instead of by impulse! KWIM?!
I was just responding to a thread when I thought of this. Someone was asking about what women use as their "everyday" bag, and while answering I realized that all but one of my bags is an everyday bag!!!

I've just recently grown out of buying for the good deals and couldn't be happier!!! :P

So, what I'd like to know is have you grown out of this phase of buying for good deals and "sport" so to speak??
What is the smartest COACH purchase you've made recently? I'm talking a piece that works for everything, day, night, dressed UP, dressed down. Are you buying what WORKS for you VS what was just a cheap buy or envy of anothers purchase??

I know I AM, and it seems like I don't need the "thrill of the hunt" anymore!!! It's VERY liberating!!!

oooh boy, i don't know where to start :P

I guess I'm buying smarter bkz I don't have money for coach at the moment, all is going for baby #2 fund, so I have no choice :biggrin: But on the other hand I think that I'm still a bit into "impulse" buying, otherwise I wouldn't exchange so much... I had a couple of gift cards that just went for "good deals", but I try to justify them as "diaper bags", a purse that can hold books, a purse that fits on the shoulder etc... when that dosen't work I have to bite into the sour apple and sell them on the bay... It's a hassle and hurts, especially with all the fees. So I'm trying to be smarter and listen to my "inner" voice, but so far I'm having a hard time. Just bought the Peyton Metallic yesterday bkz it was a "good deal", and "you could use it as diaper bag".... Yet, I'm having mixed feelings about her already... I think that's called an "impulse buy"? I'm not really stalking the outlets, but I have a few things in my mind at all times... I guess I'm "Thinking" about it :P

Sadly I only own 2-3 bags that were thought out and planned for. Otherwise I used to get caught up in reveals and having pangs of jealousy at others purchases. I'm happy to announce that my most recent purchase had nothing to do with a reveal or anything. It was something I spotted on Ebay, thought I'd love it, and low and behold it's the perfect purse!!! This one's gonna get worn out!!!

Lucky you, I'm still chasing "memory" purses. I remember how much I loved a purse, but for whatever reason I either returned it or sold it, and then had remorse- but it was too late. Now I'm trying to get it either back, or buy it again :P The black zoe for instance- I had her in the pouch, got it last year brand new from coach, gosh was I proud- but I was afraid of patent leather and exchanged for metallic leather (ironic huh)... Now I could bite myself, bkz black patent is tdf in the zoe, and i'd love to have the medium size. she's sold out, and patent turns out to be way more durable than other leathers, especially metallics...

If I see something that I'm interested in..I look at it.. shop..and look some more..before I buy "the one"... I don't have a ton of bags(or money:smile:.). but the ones I do have I know I've invested the time..saved the money(sort of..he, he) to know I will use it and love it...which is my thought process..gotta love it..or I don't buy it.

I've been buying coach for the last 6 years and have only recently been to the outlet twice in my entire life( bought 2 madeline clutches I will love and not just like because of the deal)..but it was a smokin deal..that's for sure..so I can see why people love the outlets!;)

My most used bag is the one I spent the most on and I literally love it(large expresso sabrina)..I think I'm actually going to buy another one in another color(large black w/silver sabrina)..they are timeless to me. That is usually the bag I go for..not really the trendy ones..:smile: For me..I think I would have regret if I spent that kind of money on trendy because I know it would go into my closet in a short amount of time.

Trying to buy smarter...I just had a rash of impulse purchases that I returned. I have one more to take back and then I am going to take a break from the outlets.

I get caught up in the "deal" and forget about whether I really love the bag or need the bag. Yes, a Coach bag for less than $150 is a great deal, but how many (gasp!) do I really need?

I'm going to work on getting disciplined again!

Three favorites:
The Bleecker purple tote I bought (like Bunny's)
The patchwork holiday Tote
Definitely yes. Much smarter. I started out during the coupon frenzy of June. I bought many items, some of which I truly loved & kept. The first purchase, the rose patent Zoe, I just recently switched out of to a newer purse. I think I have memorized styles numbers & a feel for some of the prices very quickly. kinda proud of my brain for being able to be a quick study. I've gotten a lot more discerniong abut my purchases & so has my daughter.

http://forum.purseblog.com/picture.php?pictureid=37426&albumid=4107&dl=1249180220&thumb=1

http://forum.purseblog.com/picture.php?albumid=4107&pictureid=33636

I really like the whole wristlets as wallets choice too.

Good question.

album.php

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, so I wanted others to chime in.

I think as I've evolved my Coach collection and knowledge over the past few years I've learned to buy smart instead of by impulse! KWIM?!
I was just responding to a thread when I thought of this. Someone was asking about what women use as their "everyday" bag, and while answering I realized that all but one of my bags is an everyday bag!!!

I've just recently grown out of buying for the good deals and couldn't be happier!!! :P

So, what I'd like to know is have you grown out of this phase of buying for good deals and "sport" so to speak??
What is the smartest COACH purchase you've made recently? I'm talking a piece that works for everything, day, night, dressed UP, dressed down. Are you buying what WORKS for you VS what was just a cheap buy or envy of anothers purchase??

I know I AM, and it seems like I don't need the "thrill of the hunt" anymore!!! It's VERY liberating!!!

I think that I have become a smarter buyer, I try to hunt things down that I love and find them at a cheaper price so that I can afford other bags as well. I normally will see something I love and wait a couple months for it. I do switch out my bags with what I am wearing so that each bag has its time. I have never sold a bag because I feel like I will probably want it back at one point, I normally dont sell anything for that same reason. Figure if I loved enough to buy it, its staying lol. Also, I dont go to the outlets even when there are coupons unless they have something I want and I just stick to that because I know thats what I have money for. I dont think Im an impulse buyer at all.

I think that deciding at the beginning of July that I was ready to scale back on my coach buying, I've felt much better about my Coach collection. It helped that I was out of town for 3 weeks and got to use that time to be away from tPF. I actually went into the outlet today w/ my 20% coupon and bought absolutely nothing! I feel like I've got a well rounded collection and fell like it's in my best interest to be more choosey. There will always be that pang of jealousy when new reveals come up, but typically soon after I realize that the bag would never work for me anyways, so there is no point in getting caught up in the excitement.

After several returns of impulse buys, I have a better understanding of what "criteria" I need for my lifestyle. Now I buy smarter because if a bag does not meet my defined criteria, I do not buy it. I am so much happier about my collection.

Hmmm, I guess I am one of the "lucky ones" since I am happy with every Coach bag I own and returned any that I wasn't thrilled with. I don't get caught up in buying deals or wanting what others have. It is hard with the 20% off coupons to not want to buy something just to use the coupon but I haven't gotten anything on the last 2 since there was nothing I had to have. The Zoes keep tempting me b/c the price is just so insane (I only own the large fawn patent) but I am at a point in my collection that I have to be really selective since I own 25 Coach bags. I know what few wholes, style and color wise I have and want to fill so I am holding out to find the PERFECT brown leather bag (zoe isn't "the one" even though she is cheap so I have passed her by) and the PERFECT brick red/dark wine/Bordeaux leather bag.

I would say I am also good about waiting for either a PCE or a bag to hit the outlets. Don't get me wrong, I do buy bags at the outlet that I wasn't initially planning on (e.g. sabrina IKAT in blue/pearl white) but that is b/c I fell in love with it in person and the price was right. Other bags I may really like but am not willing to pay FP or even PCE price and am willing to not own them if I can't find them in the outlet but I have gotten really good about stalking those down the second they leave FP (e.g. butterfly parker tote).

I'm the kind of person who researches any big purchase I make - the first Coach bag I ever had, I actually got as a present. It's a Hamptons Carryall, and I was in love with it for awhile and researched it all over the Internet before deciding on that one, haha. The only 'expensive' purchase I've made that I haven't really planned out and researched before hand is the bag I got yesterday from the outlet - too good of a price to take the chance that it won't be there later!

Trying to buy smarter...I just had a rash of impulse purchases that I returned. I have one more to take back and then I am going to take a break from the outlets.

I get caught up in the "deal" and forget about whether I really love the bag or need the bag. Yes, a Coach bag for less than $150 is a great deal, but how many (gasp!) do I really need?

I'm going to work on getting disciplined again!

I am right with you on this!

Good question! I'd like to think I'm buying smarter but the reality is I'm probably not! :P I still have bags and wristlets that I haven't taken the tags off yet. One bag I really want to but it's white and I'm afraid that I'll get it all dirty! I think I will apple it up tomorrow and hopefully get the courage to wear it soon.

Although I must say that I'm thinking a little bit more about how much I'm spending on bags now. Before I really didn't bat an eye about a couple hundred dollars on a purse. Now I'm really thinking about my finances and thinking about how much of a dent a purse or accessory will make in my savings account. It's so easy to get caught up in the coupons/sales that it's easy to lose track of what's important.

Yes, I am buying smart and it has happened in this last year. I have out grown buying for the sake of owning Coach. I buy what I love and it has to be useful, on an everyday level.. My best, but not cheapest buy was my Ali she is my HG but aside from that she is very roomy, very hands free and goes with everything.

I also find that my Totes are amazing, I can just pile my stuff in and go everywhere. I do not have a bag that can not go from day to night and to weekends. Even my clutches can be used for afternoons and then to night with out issues..