Are You an Obsessive Spender?

1. I was reading a financial article that talked about obsessive spending. The financial advisor said if you spent over 5 - 10% of your income on clothing, you could be considered an obsessive spender.

I know I spend anywhere between 5 - 6% so I guess I'm borderline. Kinda freaks me out.

What about everyone else?

2. Interesting...but what about someone who spends a ton on their mortgage or car or a hobby, rather than clothes? Or someone who saves every penny for a rainy day or investing? Isn't that also "obsessive," using the term in this original post?

I really don't like being put in a box and labelled one thing or another. I spend what I spend and save/invest what I save/invest and that's it ;)

3. Well, yes, I definitely fall into that category. I've never entered the real world for jobs though, so I guess it's a little different.

4. Well, according to that measure, yes I'm obsessive. But I'm working on it. :P

5. Since my only bill is RENT.. hell muthafreakin YEA! So i guess about 35% at least.. OMG OMG OMG :shame:

6. Hah-hah! When I read the title of this thread, I thought, "Someone who makes a purchase because they're obsessed with the thing." :smile:

7. Guilty then!

8. I don't really think that percentage is accurate. I mean. Depending on what you make 5-10% can be reached really easily! I think a lot more goes into being an obsessive spender than the percentage, like if you save money first or keep putting yourself in debt over spending money on clothes. So I have to disagree with that article because I don't consider myself obsessive at all!

9. agreed with Blue824.. if you make like $50 000 a year after taxes, 5%-10% is only $2500-$5000 which is not that much..

10. Damn, I am in trouble if that's the case. :lol:

11. Yes...on that standard I am obscessive, and should probably seek help right away!!!

12. 5 - 10% and you are deemed obsessive? ................

I guess I'm obsessive then.

But I think the percentage is way low. It's not like you're getting into debt over clothes.

13. i already know I am... i mean, i buy things even when I don't have a job yet.....

14. I suppose I would fall in that catagory. But then again, I console myself by saying it's tax deductable! (clothing for work/professional uniform)

15. Im an obsessive spender, but what's wrong with that? :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice