Are you an emotional handbag shopper?

Bag Fetish

Iphone Addict!
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Lately I have been all over the map with my handbags. I had to slim down my collection a few years ago and only kept a few bags. I was ok with that because at least the few bags I had go used. I didnt feel like I was hoarding money so to speak.

In the last 1.5 yrs I have added more coach, nothing LV. Even then in the last 6-8months I have been refining that collection. Selling off a bag or bags I dont really fancy anymore and adding something more usable.

Is it that i'm growning up.. LOL or that i'm sure an emotional buyer?
Right now i'm all over the map about having a coach shopper and but got between it and the maggie.

I have been all over the map with accessories too..

Anyone else like this ??

Yes, I'm like that too! I have to remind myself to stay grounded and not buy stuff to buy stuff. Boy do I spend money this time of year (around Christmas). I'm not sure if it's the Christmas music or what?!

I try to be really careful about my handbag purchases and with some of them, I'm like "what was I thinking?" I force myself to use that bag for 2 weeks before selling it and I tend to fall in love with it all over again, sometimes I just need to be reminded of my initial attraction. Bored much? I am. I think growing up and possibly being an emotional buyer have something to do with it for me. One of the best rules that has worked for me, I buy brands that go on sale, and I have stuck to this rule that if I still love the bag when it eventually goes on sale (25% off minimum) that I allow myself to buy it. That waiting period has saved me from buying SO many bags! Don't buy just because it's a good deal either, a lot of people I think do that and end up with something they don't really love.

It also, of course, takes time to really figure out what suits you best for function and that does require some trial and error. I'm sure a lot of people wish they had gone through their trial and error with cheaper bags lol. I think our tastes and our needs change with time too.

It really depends on who you are too, my Mom is first and foremost function and tends to pick the same style bag over and over. I, on the other hand, love variety! I have totes, hobos, satchels, zip top, magnetic, everything. I can deal with some annoyances with function if I'm truly in love with the bag. So that, I do believe, is different for everyone.

I am now trying to get my variety and 'need to buy something new' fix with smaller items. Soaps, nail polish, lip gloss, pens, pretty coffee mugs, wine glasses (no matching set in my cabinet, variety is more fun) anything that I'd never sell.

I completely understand! I change out purses too quickly. I am always searching for the perfect bag. Just when I think I found it, I start to second quess myself. I am getting a purse for christmas and am already having doubts about it. Why can't I just be content for a little while?

At these prices I don't think I could be 'emotional' (in the spontaneous sense) so I calculate my need > then factor in quality/beauty/functionality > against price, if that = the green light then I allow myself to get excited and fall in love :hbeat:

I used to buy designer bags and never felt guilt about spending on them. Now as I have risen the stakes, and ventured into the premier designer market, I find I buy much much less and am more satisfied but not with prices. For me to spend 1K and up the bag must be put together in Italy for me to justify pricing.

Boy, I think this is going to be a very interesting thread....and thanks, Bag Fetish, for posing the question. I've been a handbag nut just about as far back as I can really remember. I started out small, escalated, topped off with several Bottega Venetas, slimmed down considerably to a personal quest, and now, after all these years, I'm very much admiring Dooneys and Coach bags after turning my silly nose up at them for years. Why, I just don't really know, but I feel for the first time in all my years of handbag buying that I am almost a peace with myself about enjoying bags that feel good and not because they have a name attached to them. So, I guess, you might call me a very emotional shopper!

P.S. And I want to add that I just bought a bag that wouldn't even turn my head a few years, months, or even days ago.....a beautiful Coach hobo bag with the logo embellished all over the whole thing. Who knew. Off to view the Coach Subforum......

Makes sense to me!! Are you a gemini?
Yes, I'm like that too! I have to remind myself to stay grounded and not buy stuff to buy stuff. Boy do I spend money this time of year (around Christmas). I'm not sure if it's the Christmas music or what?!

I try to be really careful about my handbag purchases and with some of them, I'm like "what was I thinking?" I force myself to use that bag for 2 weeks before selling it and I tend to fall in love with it all over again, sometimes I just need to be reminded of my initial attraction. Bored much? I am. I think growing up and possibly being an emotional buyer have something to do with it for me. One of the best rules that has worked for me, I buy brands that go on sale, and I have stuck to this rule that if I still love the bag when it eventually goes on sale (25% off minimum) that I allow myself to buy it. That waiting period has saved me from buying SO many bags! Don't buy just because it's a good deal either, a lot of people I think do that and end up with something they don't really love.

It also, of course, takes time to really figure out what suits you best for function and that does require some trial and error. I'm sure a lot of people wish they had gone through their trial and error with cheaper bags lol. I think our tastes and our needs change with time too.

It really depends on who you are too, my Mom is first and foremost function and tends to pick the same style bag over and over. I, on the other hand, love variety! I have totes, hobos, satchels, zip top, magnetic, everything. I can deal with some annoyances with function if I'm truly in love with the bag. So that, I do believe, is different for everyone.

I am now trying to get my variety and 'need to buy something new' fix with smaller items. Soaps, nail polish, lip gloss, pens, pretty coffee mugs, wine glasses (no matching set in my cabinet, variety is more fun) anything that I'd never sell.

I like color not so much for summer but winter :P
Reason I wear a lot of black so I like a splash of color... but I also have to think is it practical.. I dont want stuff sitting around.
I agree with the color inside your bag, I dont like matchy matchy,

I completely understand! I change out purses too quickly. I am always searching for the perfect bag. Just when I think I found it, I start to second quess myself. I am getting a purse for christmas and am already having doubts about it. Why can't I just be content for a little while?

For a crazy moment the other day I was thinking one bag. I'm going to hide all my others and just pick one to use for the entire winter and see if I could do it ... haha crazy I know.

At these prices I don't think I could be 'emotional' (in the spontaneous sense) so I calculate my need > then factor in quality/beauty/functionality > against price, if that = the green light then I allow myself to get excited and fall in love :hbeat:
I am getting like you, I just dont have the liquid funds to be this way. Thus more of my reason for rethinkin each bag and selling what I haven't/dont use.

I used to buy designer bags and never felt guilt about spending on them. Now as I have risen the stakes, and ventured into the premier designer market, I find I buy much much less and am more satisfied but not with prices. For me to spend 1K and up the bag must be put together in Italy for me to justify pricing.

Yes moving that notch above does make you step back to few bags for sure. I know even in the sence of coach and LV. I mean really I can have 2-3 coach (outlet) bags to one from the fp store. Never mind 5-6 from the outlet to 1 Lv ...

Boy, I think this is going to be a very interesting thread....and thanks, Bag Fetish, for posing the question. I've been a handbag nut just about as far back as I can really remember. I started out small, escalated, topped off with several Bottega Venetas, slimmed down considerably to a personal quest, and now, after all these years, I'm very much admiring Dooneys and Coach bags after turning my silly nose up at them for years. Why, I just don't really know, but I feel for the first time in all my years of handbag buying that I am almost a peace with myself about enjoying bags that feel good and not because they have a name attached to them. So, I guess, you might call me a very emotional shopper!

P.S. And I want to add that I just bought a bag that wouldn't even turn my head a few years, months, or even days ago.....a beautiful Coach hobo bag with the logo embellished all over the whole thing. Who knew. Off to view the Coach Subforum......
I have as well, right back to even public school .. LOL mind you they were cheap 30-40$ bags but yeah my alloowance when to stuff like that and shoes.
Now the stakes are higher.. LOL
Thus a lot of my thinking goes to outlet bags from coach because I can save.. I refuse to pay 400$ for something I know is going to go on sale for half if not less then half price in a few months.
Like my croc sophia, when I saw it on the coach website I loved it but couldnt pay 498$ for it. Not even a year later I was searching ebay and watching prices and for giggles called the outlet and sure enough then had a few. I ended up getting it with taxes for 210$.. wow that would mean I could reall have 2-3 bags for the price of one from the full price store. Its made things easier now that we have an outlet..
But the funny thing is I would have no issue spending that 500$ on an LV but then again I normally buy preloved for that reason saving money and getting more bangformy $$

I would say I am more of an impulsive buyer vs emotional. At one point I had over 20 coach bags. Now I have a dozen bags total. One lv, one dooney and about 10 coach. I will sell a bag or two if there is one coming in because I don't switch my bags up enough to keep more than I have.

One factor though is having a coach outlet so close and finding many deals. To keep myself from buying, I keep myself from going there regularly lol. I was not impulsive about my LV because of the cost. Wanted the bag for a long time, sold off a couple bags to help fund it.

Oh, I totally hear you on bang for your buck! One of my favorite bags is a Cole Haan that I bought NWT on ebay for $80 and it's a bag that retails for almost $400. It had a scratch on the hardware and I thought that was fine :biggrin: . I try to buy neutrals for clothing too so I can wear whichever bag I want regardless of color. Unfortunately, I always have to find the top I want in some gorgeous COLOR! LOL I forgot to mention I'm on a major scarf kick at the moment too, I truly believe I can't have too many scarves. Another tip....for the bag you're really going to use a lot buy great quality and durability, it'll pay for itself over and over. For your special occasion pieces that don't get all that much wear, it can make sense to scrimp a little (at least for me).

I know for certain I'm not an emotional handbag shopper. I don't purchase anything emotionally like if I'm sad, I don't go out there with the need to buy something. I have to really like a handbag regardless of the brand in order to buy it (as long as it fits into my budget) because it will have to be a bag I will carry often and not sitting on shelves collecting dust. Maybe that's why my handbag collection is so small.

I would say I am more of an impulsive buyer vs emotional. At one point I had over 20 coach bags. Now I have a dozen bags total. One lv, one dooney and about 10 coach. I will sell a bag or two if there is one coming in because I don't switch my bags up enough to keep more than I have.

One factor though is having a coach outlet so close and finding many deals. To keep myself from buying, I keep myself from going there regularly lol. I was not impulsive about my LV because of the cost. Wanted the bag for a long time, sold off a couple bags to help fund it.
Like you I dont switch often.. and I feel guilty about that. I see some people here switch everyday.. Wow!
I guess if I had a different job I moght but not sure.
I find I tend to use one for a week or two and then switch out ...
I wish at times I was closer to the outlet but that could be more costly for me ... more wants .. LOL

Oh, I totally hear you on bang for your buck! One of my favorite bags is a Cole Haan that I bought NWT on ebay for $80 and it's a bag that retails for almost $400. It had a scratch on the hardware and I thought that was fine :biggrin: . I try to buy neutrals for clothing too so I can wear whichever bag I want regardless of color. Unfortunately, I always have to find the top I want in some gorgeous COLOR! LOL I forgot to mention I'm on a major scarf kick at the moment too, I truly believe I can't have too many scarves. Another tip....for the bag you're really going to use a lot buy great quality and durability, it'll pay for itself over and over. For your special occasion pieces that don't get all that much wear, it can make sense to scrimp a little (at least for me).
That is a good bang for your buck! Like you I bought my glam tote(coach) from the outlet as it was a return. The strap was peeling (This is a first seasons bag) and I thought if this is going to be an issue with the bag I refuse to pay 200$ for something and this is going to happen in the end. I ended up paying about 70$ with taxes and its just fine for me. I have used it for travel and its worked out great. The peeling doesnt bother me in the least.

Makes good sense on the buy you'll use for ages and more frequentaly so spend the extra....

I know for certain I'm not an emotional handbag shopper. I don't purchase anything emotionally like if I'm sad, I don't go out there with the need to buy something. I have to really like a handbag regardless of the brand in order to buy it (as long as it fits into my budget) because it will have to be a bag I will carry often and not sitting on shelves collecting dust. Maybe that's why my handbag collection is so small.
and see I am the total opposite.. I dont even have to leave the house .. ebay is my friend.. LOL