Travel Are you a carry-on only traveler?

I am. I usually only bring 1 carry-on luggage and 1 big tote, sometimes even when i travel overseas. I always end up buying stuff, so i always bring as little clothes as possible.

Yup, I only bring a carry on suitcase now along with my laptop bag and I travel for work (for five days). I'll usually pack a smaller size handbag in the laptop bag too so I have something to use during the day.

Depending on the weather where I'm going, I'll pack pants, blouse, sweaters, skirts, or dress and 3 pairs of shoes (pumps mostly). I also pack my toiletry bag and hair straightener in there. Of course I have my liquids packed in the side pocket of my luggage.

My only gripe is because everyone else is doing this now too which means less room in the overhead compartments. And some people, no matter how many times the flight attendants say it, still insist on putting their smaller items or coats above before everyone else has had the chance to stow their luggage up there. It's so annoying! But I digress! :smile:

I'm usually a carry-on only traveler too. I just pack the bare essentials and I figure if the weather suddenly changes and gets super hot/cold I could always buy what I need there. I like to go with my bag at least half empty if it's a place with good shopping so that I can still be carry-on only on my return trip :smile:

I have a backpack (Mei Voyageur) as a carry-on for all my trips, plus a small purse that doubles up as my day-bag with flight comforts (empty water bottle, wipes, contact lens & solution [I wear my glasses on planes], travel pillow, etc.)

I do this for 3 weeks to a winter climate. Coat on my arm (but it will fit into carry-on), boots on my feet and just one pair of jeans. The base weight of my bag is under 1.6kg, and usually the weight on my back is about 8-9 kg. The first time I was cold, but that's because it was my first time experiencing snow; the second time my bag was actually lighter but I was about 100% warmer because I was sufficiently equipped.

For shoes, it's just the boots on my feet and a pair of flipflops for showers at dormitories. Plenty of socks and a good insole. All my clothes I rotate for layering. Anyway I'm there to have fun, not to make a fashion statement. Just one purse and a cotton foldable bag.

I have a lock for check-ins if I want/need to when I'm heading back (because I will land in Singapore's Changi which is very efficient), but every minute of waiting for your checked bag feels like forever, so I'd rather not do that sometimes.

I am the carry-on queen. I have not checked a bag in over 15years. Because I travel so much for business, I have it down to a science. Packing Envelopes and packing cubes are my holy grail. I went to Jamaica last year for 7 days, and was able to pack two outfits per day and shoes!

My DH thinks I'm such a weirdo because when we go on a road trip (granted, we usually are going to visit his dad and stepmom, who live 6 hours away) I can literally pack a small duffel bag and then take my purse and be fine. But when we travel to AZ (we go at least once a year, sometimes 2-3 times because his work has another office there so when he goes for business, sometimes I go along) I have a medium-sized suitcase that I honestly stuff to the gills. I love the idea a few other posters have brought up, that if you leave something at home and end up needing it, you can always buy it there. When we do go to AZ, we usually stay in his boss's condo and they've stocked it up with toiletries and hair dryers in every bathroom.

I'm thinking next time we trek down there, I may try to pack just a carry-on to see if I can do it. Usually DH checks a suitcase every time we go since his work pays for it. And he is the epitome of not being able to check just a carry-on, but its because when he travels for work, he ends up taking a bunch of tools with him and obviously you can't bring those on the plane.

I used a carryon for 1.5 months of traveling through Europe. I think it's much easier to do in summer rather than winter. I relied on Ex Officio underwear, a quick-drying pair of army green cotton trousers, several nice but cheap tops that I could donate/dispose of before coming back to the States in order to make room for all of my gifts/souvenirs, and other lightweight and replaceable items. You don't want checked luggage following you around (if you're lucky) for that long of a time.

another carry on only-er. i've done a 12 day trip with a carry on and had extra clothes that never got worn. over time you learn what the essentials are. you really don't NEED a top for each day that you will be away. things can be layered and reworked. i also pick a color palette for the trip and thus accessories/shoes can be minimized.

Heeeeeey sista! :biggrin:

I am also a carry on only person. :smile: I've traveled for 2 weeks with carry on only. But I do buy things while on vacation so sometimes come back with one extra bag ;)

I am scared checking in expensive things like shoes and expensive clothes so it only goes with my carry on. I travel a lot so I'm very experienced with packing.

I am the carry-on queen. I have not checked a bag in over 15years. Because I travel so much for business, I have it down to a science. Packing Envelopes and packing cubes are my holy grail. I went to Jamaica last year for 7 days, and was able to pack two outfits per day and shoes!

Excuse me but what is packing envelope? Or cubes? Never heard of them. :smile: