are you a bulimic shopper?

oh yeah, and I can't believe how tacky some people are with returns. one lady wore a shirt with the tags on it! and then said 'it wrinkled!' and brought the shirt back! and all the time we have people who buy shoes, wear them to an event, and bring them back. It's ridiculous. I have to say no to them, but I wish I could shame them somehow. It isn't even like they're 'borrowing' $500 manolos. this is JC Penney for crying out loud. if they can't swallow a $40 dress shoe purchase, they need to hightail it to the salvation army or the clearance section of payless.

just fyi, i think most stores do this, but the store i work at definately does:

THE RETURN BLACK LIST!

if you're a chronic returner, stores can actually refuse your returns if they realize what you're doing. we have a guy that used to come in and buy vacuums, use them to clean the motel he owned, and return them like a few days later. he is no longer allowed to return anything he purchases at our store, no matter what, so be aware! the return policy is always at the discretion of store management.

Is that legal?!

hfxshopgirl said:
i have a friend who's addicted to the "rush" of shopping. so she buys and gets her "fix", then after a short time, returns. that way she gets a buzz and still stays within her budget. she took up the practice when she realized the only joy for her was in the purchase, not actually having the item. funny how us "addicts" deal.

hey are you talking about me?! :lol: lol jk but that could be my biography i also am notorious for buying something just because its a good deal...then i will get it home sit it on my vanity and go hmmph i am never going to use you :suspiciou... let it sit there for a week... and then return it when i am positive i just bought it because of the deal i got on it. :wacko:

amanda said:
just fyi, i think most stores do this, but the store i work at definately does:

THE RETURN BLACK LIST!

if you're a chronic returner, stores can actually refuse your returns if they realize what you're doing. we have a guy that used to come in and buy vacuums, use them to clean the motel he owned, and return them like a few days later. he is no longer allowed to return anything he purchases at our store, no matter what, so be aware! the return policy is always at the discretion of store management.

He used the products though...if one were to leave the tags on a handbag and return it, why would they care? Or wouldn't they?:huh:

bethany said:
...It isn't even like they're 'borrowing' $500 manolos. this is JC Penney for crying out loud. if they can't swallow a $40 dress shoe purchase, they need to hightail it to the salvation army or the clearance section of payless.

I laughed for like an hour over this....:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd rather give away my purchases than return them......(Does that make me an angel or a shopping addict who makes excuses just to fill her closet?.....)

Not really, but I will return something if I am really going to have no use for it. If there is a defect I'll return it as well, for that kind of money, I need it to be at least decent!

LL_ROCKS said:
I laughed for like an hour over this....:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd rather give away my purchases than return them......(Does that make me an angel or a shopping addict who makes excuses just to fill her closet?.....)

No, that makes you crazy! Welcome to the club we all do something that makes us unique!:love:

Bjara said:
He used the products though...if one were to leave the tags on a handbag and return it, why would they care? Or wouldn't they?:huh:

yeah, they'd care probably. we have a girl that comes in once a month or so and picks out a new washer and dryer and then returns it before delivery. the stuff never actually gets to her, but she's on the blacklist now, too. it takes our time and effort to help her pick out new ones, set up the delivery, ring her up, etc. when we could be helping someone that actually needs assistance and plans to buy from us and keep it. plus it messes with our numbers for the day; most departments have a goal that they need to hit as far as revenue for the day, and a big return puts us hundreds or thousands of dollars in the hole to start with on any given day and makes our job that much harder.

i work in a department that is low-traffic and the people that buy tend to drop large amounts of money; hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. we remember the people we help, and i'm willing to bet that designer boutiques and places like that are the same. they may not help dozens of people a day, but they know their customers, even after one visit. so be careful, if you know with reasonable certaintly that you'll be returning something, save everyone the hassle and don't buy it.

FYI, The Return Exchange (http://www.thereturnexchange.com/) is the company that many large retailers are using to track customer exchanges and returns. The information obtained by the retailers can (and often is) used to place customers on "return blacklists."

FWIW, I mail order just about everything I wear (or carry... just to keep this on topic). I've never been crazy about returning merchandise anyway, but the fact that I'd have to take the time to repackage and ship off returns/exchanges means that I never do.

luvboogie said:
FYI, The Return Exchange (http://www.thereturnexchange.com/) is the company that many large retailers are using to track customer exchanges and returns. The information obtained by the retailers can (and often is) used to place customers on "return blacklists."

FWIW, I mail order just about everything I wear (or carry... just to keep this on topic). I've never been crazy about returning merchandise anyway, but the fact that I'd have to take the time to repackage and ship off returns/exchanges means that I never do.

our return blacklist isn't written down, it's unofficial. but we know who these people are.

I'm a bulemic shopper LOL. I'll buy stuff b/c I want it then I get it home and I'm like "WTF did I buy this for?" and then return it. My problem mainly is, I use checks instead of my Debit card so i have to wait 10-15 days to return the items and get my cash back.

I've been having that problem lately....but I think in a slightly different direction. I've been coveting so many different handbags that I literally can't decide what to buy. I've been making so many trips to the various stores to take a look, but can't settle on which to actually purchase. I'm also trying to be reasonable and not buy everything since I am saving to buy a house at the end of the year, so it has definitely made my choice much, much harder.

But with some other things, like clothes, I've been totally "bulimic" - I sometimes feel like I can't wait for things to go on sale because they never have them in my size, so I buy them, but don't wear them for weeks, and then decide that I didn't like them as much as I did before and return them.