are you a bulimic shopper?

wickedassin said:
My brother (who lives with me) says that I'm a recycler NOT a shopper. I guess that's a comment on my ability to return and exchange. I NEVER cut off the tags of ANYTHING until I actually use the item and I'm super oranized with my receipts... So if it turns out I don't want it, it goes back...

Me too. I never cut off the tag until I actually decide to use it and I have a big envelope fill with receipts to help keep it organize. My weird habit of not cutting off the tags eventually lead to having 1/4 of my clothes in my closet still with tags on. :lol: My mom always ended up raiding my closet to find "new" clothes to give away as emergency gifts. :cry:

i can't shop now-return later just because of the nature of where i am. i'm at school 2 hours from Atlanta, where all the places i like to shop are, so on the rare chance that i get to go to Atlanta and buy something, i have to KNOW that i want it because i may not be back for 6 weeks (since a lot of times i work on the weekends). since a lot of return policies run out after 30 days, that becomes an issue.

but even before that, i wasn't really a returner. i hate feeling buyers remorse, so whenever i see something i like that i might want but am not sure, i have them hold it while i 'take a lap' - walk around the rest of the mall, grab a diet coke, look at some more things, and if i'm still thinking about it when all is said and done, i go back and get it. if it's something that i know won't sell out (a skirt at the gap or something) i'll usually go home and give it about a week if i don't love it.

i do that because at this point i've been shopping seriously since i was 14 and i KNOW what i like and what i'll wear and use. my mom says i'm the fastest trier-on ever because i don't do much modeling of the clothes in front of the mirror. if i don't HAVE to have it as soon as i put it on, i'm not buying it. she, on the other hand, takes forever in that little room...over 50 and STILL not comfortable with her personal style!

I rarely return anything, but I do keep the tags on an item until the very day I wear it and keep all of my receipts, just in case. I hate returning stuff, so I try to make sure that what I'm buying is really what I want before walking out of the store with it.

i have a friend who's addicted to the "rush" of shopping. so she buys and gets her "fix", then after a short time, returns. that way she gets a buzz and still stays within her budget. she took up the practice when she realized the only joy for her was in the purchase, not actually having the item. funny how us "addicts" deal.

i am very thoughtful when i buy purses, less when i buy clothes.
when i buy shoes, i get totally crazy. i just buy and buy and buy. i just fall in love with a pair of shoes, dream about it, buy it, and then i am in love again.....

I think, think, think, think and think some more before I even think twich about going into a store. I can´t just buy something because I think I "might" use it or wear it. I have to know I´ll use it...
I only buy when I really really need it. I never return anything, not even b-day and Chtistmas gifts...

Ronja

just fyi, i think most stores do this, but the store i work at definately does:

THE RETURN BLACK LIST!

if you're a chronic returner, stores can actually refuse your returns if they realize what you're doing. we have a guy that used to come in and buy vacuums, use them to clean the motel he owned, and return them like a few days later. he is no longer allowed to return anything he purchases at our store, no matter what, so be aware! the return policy is always at the discretion of store management.

amanda said:
just fyi, i think most stores do this, but the store i work at definately does:

THE RETURN BLACK LIST!

Ya, I heard of that and that's why I don't return my items unless it's an absolute must. Majority of the time I return for an exchange. Do they have an exchange black list too?

You hit the nail on the head w/ this thread. You completely described me. Maybe it's my naturally indecisive nature but I have trouble finding a bag that I'm truly in love with. Before I know it, I'm returning it for another "Right Now Bag" and I'm quite ashamed! ;)

I don't necessarily do that with bags because it usually takes me forever to decide on one. I do this with clothes often. I'll see something, love it in the store, get it home and then don't like it.

I don't return much myself- I'm either too lazy or I usually wear something once and then sell it on eBay- that's my problem! :nuts:

I was a manager of an Abercrombie and we were allowed to refuse returns if we wanted to for any reason at all. Some people you could tell just shopped a lot so naturally they returned more stuff- no problem.

BUT- I have some crazy return stories I could tell. People trying to return a pair of $300 Ezra jeans with a sensor hole on the leg where they tore the sensor out to steal the jeans and then the STAPLED the hole back together. I was like sorry mam- we don't sell jeans with staples in them. :biggrin:

People would also switch tags on stuff and try to return a low priced item w/a $200 price tag on it. People have a lot of nerve.

And I heard from a friend who works at Nordstrom that people take advantage of their return policy all the time- she said someone once returned a set of tires to a Nordstrom..lol

I work in retail and hate returns as well. I hardly ever take something back, I do kind of the same thing amanda does. I carry the item around the store for awhile, leave the store, and come back later if I'm still wanting it. Then I know that I KNOW I want it.
I only return if it had some kind of defect. Like once I bought these BCBG jeans and after 2 washes, the back leather patch had come off. So I took them back and got store credit although I wouldn't have b*$@#$! if they didn't give me a refund, since I had had the pants for 3 weeks already. If the jeans had been on clearance at Sears, I would have shrugged and said 'that's what I get for buying crap'. But I paid more and expected more from BCBG...and they did help me out, although I wouldn't buy jeans by them again.

I rarely, if ever, get buyer's remorse because I stay away from expensive impulse purchases, I can't afford to make pricy mistakes. haha.