Are Ya High Maintenance ?

Jan 23, 2006
I guess this could depend on who you ask :

Well I asked my Husband If I was, and he yelled "NO Sweety"( mmmm Im a little suspicious ) Mind you, his Birthday is coming up soon,

Anyhoo,
I know, I run a tight ship at home and in the office ( isnt that being organized ? )

I Insist my kids have chores and responsibilities to thier pets and friends.
I know what I want and what I dont.
So I dont think I am high maintenance.

How about you ?

i like to think of myself as 'self-contained.' i don't rely very much on others and don't expect much from them, except that they live up to their responsibilities, etc. i don't demand special treatment and people that act entitled really get on my nerves. i also don't expect expensive gifts, i'm ready to leave the house in under 5 minutes, and my mood is usually pretty stable. i think i'm very low maintenance.

I asked my boyfriend is I was high maintenance and he didn't answer the first three times on the fourth time he said yes and then i looked at him growlingly and he said NO NO.

I don't think I am high maintenance. I think of myself as a very well together person. I am organized and expect certain things from my kids and husband. I don't take or dish bull. I don't feel sorry for people, I think when someone makes their bed they should lay in it, and that includes me...

Hmm, I think this is a tough term to pin down. When I opened this thread, I thought you would mean "high matienance" in terms of appearance. In that sense, I'm absolutely not.

But I am high matianence because I'm extremely busy and very Type-A. I don't leave any room for error in my academic life which is incredibly packed. I definitely maintain myself, though... I certainly don't expect anybody to do all the crap on my agenda for me!

I don't know about a sense of entitlement, but I push really, really hard to get what I want and I do expect to get it because I asked. A lot of students ***** and moan about not graduating on time because they can't get into the classes they need for graduation, but I'm the girl banging down the professor's door, and if the professor won't answer, I go to the adminstration and chain myself to their office's doorknob. Does that sound like entitlement? Hmm.

What does high maintenance actually mean? I think emotion "neediness/reassurance"--a chick who is demanding attention, etc. Whereas I think some of my friends think it means financially high-end, i.e. having a love for expensive things...

Some people have told me that I'm "high-maintenance" because I have expensive purses and nice clothes--but I buy ALL my own things! Then other people say that's the wrong definition and that I'm sooooooooooo not high maintenance because I"m so laid back and not demanding. So I'm not sure what it means!

wickedassin said:
Some people have told me that I'm "high-maintenance" because I have expensive purses and nice clothes--but I buy ALL my own things! Then other people say that's the wrong definition and that I'm sooooooooooo not high maintenance because I"m so laid back and not demanding. So I'm not sure what it means!

That's the definition of high maintenance I thought of when I read the title of this thread. That, and keeping up with one's appearance - I definitely fit into the apperance category, it takes me forever to get ready in the morning :shame:

In terms of running a tight ship and expecting things to be the exact way I want them, nah, I'm not too bad with that. I'm not a diva - when things don't work out the way I want them to, I don't pitch a fit. I don't demand a lot from friends and family, just treat me well and be there for me, and I'll do the same for you. I used to be a little more spoiled, I'll admit it :shame: I'm an only child and my mom and grandparents doted on me when I was younger. But, that went away fast when I lived on my own during college and worked the first three years. I cleaned, cooked, paid my bills and learned to like it. I like not having to depend on anyone :biggrin:

I'm an extremely self-reliant outgoing person, BUT.....

I'm very needy in the sense that I want a lot of attention from my boyfriend. I'm considerate of his committments, but I expect him to make time for me( this could have a lot to do with the fact that we've been dating long distance for over 1 1/2...it's been Boston to Jacksonville and now Tampa to Jacksonville. ugh.)

I can go either way when it comes to appearance and stuff like that. I like to be able to take time when I get ready, and I guess I enjoy nice things. :smile: who knows. I think I'm probably the worst person to judge my level of maintenance. :-P lol

IntlSet said:
Hmm, I think this is a tough term to pin down. When I opened this thread, I thought you would mean "high matienance" in terms of appearance. In that sense, I'm absolutely not.

But I am high matianence because I'm extremely busy and very Type-A. I don't leave any room for error in my academic life which is incredibly packed. I definitely maintain myself, though... I certainly don't expect anybody to do all the crap on my agenda for me!

I don't know about a sense of entitlement, but I push really, really hard to get what I want and I do expect to get it because I asked. A lot of students ***** and moan about not graduating on time because they can't get into the classes they need for graduation, but I'm the girl banging down the professor's door, and if the professor won't answer, I go to the adminstration and chain myself to their office's doorknob. Does that sound like entitlement? Hmm.

i don't see that as a sense of entitlement - it's something you actually need for yourself and you're determined to get it, and there's nothing wrong with that. i think of a sense of entitlement as people that come in to where i work and demand a discount just because they feel like they deserve to pay less than everyone else or people that park their massive SUV way over the line in a parking spot, thereby making the second spot unusable, just because they couldn't be bothered to straighten out their car.

I asked my husband once about this and he said "hell yes!". So maybe I am. I def know what I want and usually what I want is nice stuff and nice stuff is usually more costly. Not always..but I don't know why if I pick something, it usually cost more than what I really want to pay. I neede to learn being prugal?? he he..maybe look at the price first before you purchase it. I have bad habit, when I look at something, I don't look at the price first. Then when I like it, I tend to get it (if I can afford it), and ignore the price. Maybe I need help.:P

It is interesting to hear what everyone thinks that term means. For me I think of needing lots of upkeep e.g. hair blow outs every day, nails and wax done all the time stuff like that. That's definitely not me. With work and my son, my main luxury is a hot shower!

I'm high maintenance when it comes to clothes, shoes, purses, and hair (I get my hair done every six weeks religiously). Oh and car, I have to have my car detailed every two weeks and maintained regularly...my car is high maintenance! LOL