Are White Lies Harmless ?

1. The most anticipated sale of the season is here! Come join the official NAP sale discussion thread and share your haul with us!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Honey does this dress make me look fat ?
    What would you be more comfortable hearing, the truth or a little white lie?

In your opinion is it better to tell a white lie and spare someones
    feelings or is it better to tell the truth ?

2. I'm ALL ABOUT honesty. . . usually. But I think white lies, in small amounts and certain situations are necessary.
    Like when my MIL {mother in law} cooks something and it's not that fab. . .
    I don't lie about anything serious.

3. I never, never, lie. I hate lying. I got into lots of trouble in my younger years from lies and realized it's just not worth it. And I am a true believer in the fact that what ever you put out there is one day gonna come back to you. So, I always tell the truth even if I have to do it gently.

4. ^do you have children?

5. really depends.. as much as possible, I prefer not to lie... but to protect others/myself, I have said white lies in the past..

6. Yes, a boy, 6, and a girl, 5. And I constantly try to teach them that lying about something is even worse than the thing you actually did (well, in theory anyway!). My daughter is already an accomplished lier. I can't believe it sometimes the elaborate stories she comes up with and I believe her!! She's punished right now for lying to me about her brother catching her finger in a door and I punished him for being rough with her and he went into his room!! He did't do it, she admitted it later.:shame:

7. wow! You've never said things like "you can't have anymore Sweet Tarts, they're all gone" just to avoid a begging meltdown?
    Those are my white lies.

My DD is 5 too. She rarely fibs, but when she does I flip out!!!

8. OH Well..........um, yea, does that count??:shame: :shame: Okay well then I guess I'll have to take that back cause I will say whatever I have to say sometimes just to get her voice octive down to a normal level!! She is LOUD!!!!!!!! But only to my kids.........okay and sometimes my hubby............DAMMIT, I'M A LIAR!!!!! Ignore all my previous posts in this thread!!!! :lol: :lol:

9. I have a friend who's so adamant about not lying to his children that he's "telling the truth" about Santa Claus to his two year old.

What a spoilsport! I can only wonder what he'll do when his son develops an imaginary friend.

10. OMG! ROFLMBO!!:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao:

Big, fat, liar!!
    LOL!:lol:

TOTALLY kidding!! Much love to other Mommies of 5yr old little girls!!!

11. That's what I call a "FUN-HATER":rant:

nice, take away a kid's freakin' childhood!:rolleyes:

12. I try not to, but to kids absolutely all the time just to get them to shut it. :yes:

But when it comes to friends needing advice or asking questions about physical appearances, etc I can't lie. I wouldn't be rude about it, but I would have to be honest. If they just wanted to hear the "good" stuff they wouldn't have asked for opinions.:angel:

13. Ditto. :biggrin:

14. I'd rather hear the truth. I don't necessarily mean the whole truth and nothing but the truth, though!!!

I definitely don't want to be told I look amazing in something, when I don't. But on the other hand, I already know my deficiencies, so I don't need someone pointing them out, all the time, either!

What I really want, is an honest opinion; to let me know whether I look better or worse than usual, in what I'm wearing. :biggrin:

15. That reminds me of that episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where he nearly tells Alley (sp.?) that Santa Claus doesn't exist, because he thinks it's lying! :lol:

I love that show (we've only had it here for 2 or 3 years).

IMO, that's not a lie - that's make believe/story telling. If that's a lie, then so are all works of fiction!