Are we being unfair to Chanel re prices?

I think this is a combination of price increase deterring buying plus the limitations finally impinging on the reseller's ability to secure items. I noticed a lot more becoming available when the CF limits went into place. The top resellers will always have access, but the midtier now have to invest significant sums into purchasing items on the spot that they can no longer resell for thousands above retail due to the price increase.
I'm not a one of those Chanel new bags resellers, but I think those resellers helped brands not hurting the brands.

I think now the slow downs on these Chanel bags is caused by 1. they priced out themselves 2. economy is very bad. People can afford those high prices they wouldn't need to buy and they may prefer to hold on their cash as right now; people can not afford simply just can not afford or can not afford any more with the current prices, of course there are always some people willing to borrow money to buy expensive things, not sure if those number of people can help the sales.

and with the war still going on in Europe, who knows if more countries will be involved in, if that happens, no bags worth a penny! Knock the wood!

I occasionally get quotes for a NWT classic flap I’ve owned since 2009ish. I could get back what I paid then, but I wouldn’t make a profit. If you use a third party, you’re typically not making money on flipping bags. That’s why all the investment talk irks me so badly.
A lot of fashion influencers have been calling Chanel an investment when the bags really are not - they are investments for a wardrobe, not a financial investment. Unless someone is a reseller, it's very difficult to get back what one originally paid for the Chanel bag (despite the price increases), and if one invested the same amount in a mutual fund or even a bank account, it would be worth so much more than the resale value now (the resale value as it is from the consumer to the reseller, which is normally 50-70% of what the reseller sells to the buyer). Many resellers will not direct-buy seasonal bags, certain colors, certain models; consignment means one would have to leave the item with the reseller for 60-90 days (and the item is not covered by insurance, fires, anything that happens at the reseller).

A lot of fashion influencers have been calling Chanel an investment when the bags really are not - they are investments for a wardrobe, not a financial investment. Unless someone is a reseller, it's very difficult to get back what one originally paid for the Chanel bag (despite the price increases), and if one invested the same amount in a mutual fund or even a bank account, it would be worth so much more than the resale value now (the resale value as it is from the consumer to the reseller, which is normally 50-70% of what the reseller sells to the buyer). Many resellers will not direct-buy seasonal bags, certain colors, certain models; consignment means one would have to leave the item with the reseller for 60-90 days (and the item is not covered by insurance, fires, anything that happens at the reseller).
Agree, and if compare bag to bag wise, Louis Vuitton bags hold much better value when come to resell.

Agree, and if compare bag to bag wise, Louis Vuitton bags hold much better value when come to resell.
Yes, LV bags (monogram, not leather) do not de-preciate too much at resale. Hermes bags do too, as well, but only Kellys, Birkins, and Constances in the gold, gray, white, and black colors.
I'm having a hard time finding direct-buy options in the US for re-selling my bags. Will need to see if I can find options when I travel oversees, where the resale markets are larger (in large cities).

Reactions: baghabitz34