Are these two black crossbody vintage bags too similar?

Jun 4, 2006
So I’ve been obsessed with vintage Chanel bags and am always checking to see what’s out there for my collection. Lately I’m really drawn to this round flap crossbody bag, but I already have a black camera bag with tassel. I actually don’t own that many black bags, but am wondering whether these two black chanel crossbody bags are a bit too similar? I must say though I love crossbody bags, and I found that black leather with the 24k gold hardware is my favorite when it comes to vintage Chanel bags! When it comes to vintage black also seems to be the best choice since black bags age so much better than lighter colored bags, which definitely show a lot more wear and tear.

Thoughts?

F211CD64-FB8A-4E36-A2C4-A6D85B92A733.png 4CE812E7-AF89-4015-9A96-7817053D3B3D.jpeg 12D3A67F-BC6A-4BD0-8AFE-7CC64A907876.png

I am like you and am drawn to vintage Chanel. I actually have both these bags but in light beige. (I think my camera bag might be a bit larger though.) In any event, I don't think they are similar at all. The rounded flap is smaller and far lighter in weight. It can also be "dressed-up" a bit more than the camera bag. If you can find that rounded flap bag with puffy quilts, I'd say go for it - it's so beautiful.

I am like you and am drawn to vintage Chanel. I actually have both these bags but in light beige. (I think my camera bag might be a bit larger though.) In any event, I don't think they are similar at all. The rounded flap is smaller and far lighter in weight. It can also be "dressed-up" a bit more than the camera bag. If you can find that rounded flap bag with puffy quilts, I'd say go for it - it's so beautiful.

Wow we have similar tastes since you have the same vintage styles I have/want!! I do feel like the round flap is dressier than the camera bag. Good to know that the round flap is even lighter! Can you tell me if the strap length of the two bags are similar (or your camera bag is bigger you said? Mine is 23 cm wide, maybe yours is 27 cm)? I’m only 5’1” so not all crossbody works on me if the strap is too long. I think the strap length of my camera bag works well on my frame. Also, do you mind telling me how much you paid for your round flap??

Last edited:
Wow we have similar tastes since you have the same vintage styles I have/want!! I do feel like the round flap is dressier than the camera bag. Good to know that the round flap is even lighter! Can you tell me if the strap length of the two bags are similar (or your camera bag is bigger you said? Mine is 23 cm wide, maybe yours is 27 cm)? I’m only 5’1” so not all crossbody works on me if the strap is too long. I think the strap length of my camera bag works well on my frame. Also, do you mind telling me how much you paid for your round flap??

My camera bag is 26cm and the strap drop is about 49cm. The rounded flap strap drop is about 52cm.

I paid less than $1k USD for my rounded flap as it was very used BUT I have seen excellent condition and puffy versions in the $1500-1900 range.

Reactions: hikarupanda
My camera bag is 26cm and the strap drop is about 49cm. The rounded flap strap drop is about 52cm.

I paid less than $1k USD for my rounded flap as it was very used BUT I have seen excellent condition and puffy versions in the $1500-1900 range.

$1500-1900 seems pretty low! All the ones I’ve seen in excellent condition is over $2000, even over $2500!

$1500-1900 seems pretty low! All the ones I’ve seen in excellent condition is over $2000, even over $2500!
I have been browsing vintage purses for years so the pricing I quoted might be a bit skewed. Having said that, the prices have gone up consistently for vintage pieces but $2k looks about right .

I am also very patient when looking for a particular piece and have a budget so I kind of just wait for them to pop-up. Unless I absolutely have to have it, and it's in almost perfect condition, I'll just snap it up!

I have been browsing vintage purses for years so the pricing I quoted might be a bit skewed. Having said that, the prices have gone up consistently for vintage pieces but $2k looks about right .

I am also very patient when looking for a particular piece and have a budget so I kind of just wait for them to pop-up. Unless I absolutely have to have it, and it's in almost perfect condition, I'll just snap it up!

Agreed, with vintage I believe in “meant to be” — it’s kinda like when the price is right and the condition is excellent and it’s the style you’ve been waiting for, you just know it’s time to pull the trigger. I’ve noticed that when I’m in doubt with one of these factors, then it’s better to wait!

Reactions: gquinn
I think they are different enough to have both in a collection. Perhaps in a different color? The round flap makes it less boxy than the camera bag, and the lack of tassel - it looks more traditional and dressy.

Reactions: hikarupanda