Are there really benefits to your skin in using mineral makeup?

Oct 30, 2006
I wanted to try this because I am sick of liquid foundation and the mineral makeup keeps my face from looking oily after applying sunscreen. The SA always says stuff like this will benefit your skin or reduce redness or whatever. Is this stuff true or just sales BS?

I don't know the specific claims, but I never noticed any changes in my skin w/ mineral makeup. It was the same for me, but I guess everyone is different.

It settles in my pores more than liquid put on w/ a brush does though, so I don't wear it anymore.

The only benefit I'm aware of with makeup is to make sure it has SPF. Call me crazy, but I don't think mineral makeup has been around long enough to truly know its additional benefits, if any.

I've been wearing very little makeup and I've only been using minerals and Fix+ occasionally for the past month or so (no liquid or cream foundations, no primers whatsoever) and my skin is less irritated and has been really clear. But it's not that the minerals cleared my skin IMO, it's the absence of the other products that has been beneficial I think.

I agree with claireZk. Whenever I consistently use minerals only and NOTHING else, my skin does appear less blotchy and more clear. When I start adding in all of the other products--primers, liquids, liquid cheek stains, highlighters, then it seems my pores appear more visible.

I love mineral makeup! Although I've never used foundation, primers or anything really "liquid" (aside from at shoots)...so I don't really have a basis for comparison. I do appreciate that the mineral products are more "natural" and have spf (i'm a total spf junkie)
:smile:

Long term claims, dont know, however I do know that my face breaks out MUCH less with mm than it did with liquid. Ive been wearing Bare Escentuals minerals for about 6 years now. It also feels better than the gloopy liquid and I dont feel as bad if I fall asleep with my mm on than I did with liquid and I dont wake up with break outs.

I went to the Bare Escentals store in King Of Prussia mall with my mother last year because we were both dying to try it and we HATED it. The powder just sat on both of our skin and looked cakey and heavy. When we went outside it was even worse- my mother basically looked like a corpse that had had too much foundation caked on. I'm sure it looks lovely on some people but it's just not for me. I did try it when I was breaking out heavily so that might have had something to do with it but at the time I was using mineral powder foundation by Guerlain so if anything mineral makeup hurt me, not helped me. I use Chanel cream foundation now and my skin is completely cleared up.

I find it surprising when people says that the mineral makeup gives them breakouts etc. It works great on my skin and I get better skin after using the mineral makeup than the ordinary stuff like liquid foundation.

I used Bare Minerals, then Everyday Minerals for a while. I didn't really notice any positive change in my skin. Eventually (with the Bare Minerals) my face would itch and break out in a rash whenever I used it.
Then, I went back to liquid when I started working for Lancome. Liquid just looks so much better on me and it doesn't cause an itchy rash. Now, I will OCCASIONALLY use mmu (NOT Bare Escentuals) as a setting powder whenever I think I need additional coverage. Sometimes, the only thing that covers the redness of a breakout is liquid, concealer, and a dusting of mmu.

I was shocked that mineral make up made me break out too. I've NEVER had problems with break outs and the powder ruined my skin. I thought if anything it would improve it but nope. I think mineral make up is probably better with people who have oily skin. Mine is only oily in my t-zone.

I stopped using bare escentuals because it seemed to make my pores more visible and didn't give very even coverage in my opinion. It also seemed to take forever to apply in the mornings. The swirl, tap, and buff thing can be really time consuming! I just ended up going back to MAC studiofix. It matches my skintone better, gives more even coverage, only takes a few seconds for me to brush on.

When I wear liquid foundation I end up getting pimples. With mineral makeup it looks less noticeable, but better coverage and no PIMPLES!! My skin is clearer and helps with redness. I used Everyday Minerals and love it!

I have no clue if there are actual benefits to my skin, but liquid never settled on my face properly and mineral makeup (used the l'oreal one first, then upgraded to BE early this year) does. I also find that when I cover a blemish it doesn't scream HEY, I'M COVERING A BLEMISH like liquid makeup.