Are the machines accurate at the gym?

1. Nordstrom Winter Sale Now Until February 24, Save Up To 40% With Free Shipping and Free Returns. SHOP NOW
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. So usually I do an hr at the gym on the treadmill and by the time I'm done with itm it usually shows anywhere btwn a 650-720 calorie loss. Before I start my workout I have to enter in my weight for accurate calorie loss..... I was just wondering...how accurate are these machines?

2. Because we all have different metabolisms, I was wondering that too.

3. no- I've read that they are about (or up to, I can't remember) 20% off.

4. I think you have to monitor the heart too and see if you are in the right range for fat burning. I figure that the machines are inaccurate and so are the calorie counts for food you eat. So everything is really just a wag.

5. It is an estimate.

6. From being on this forum, I have heard that the machines are not very accurate. Consensus seems to be if you want accuracy, then you need to buy your own heart monitor.

7. I definitely question their accuracy, as the eliptical tells me I have a higher calorie burn than does the treadmill, yet I work harder on the treadmill. I use them as a guide, but don't rely on them for accurate information.

8. Domlee - does it help to put your weight into the cardio machine for a more "precise" estimate? (if that makes sense?)

For example I am about 124lbs and that means if I was doing the same amount and rate of exercise as someone who is 175lbs - I would burn less calories than them - is that correct?

9. ^^ Yes, it is my understanding that you would burn less.

10. ^ Thank you!

I guess that is why some people go walking in weighted vests.

(I also do lunges up the stairs when carrying groceries - lol)