Are The Fake Shawls Out There?

djmm

Jun 17, 2010
As far as I can see, all the guides for fake Hermes are about scarves. So does it mean that shawls are counterfeit-free? (the 65% cashmere 35% silk one)
If they do make fake shawls, any particular designs I have to be careful of? Thought I'd ask before I got burned a grand. lol :biggrin:

Yes there are fake shawls put there, usually in the more popular design I should think like ex libris, bolduc au carre, Brides de gala to name a few. I'm sure the ladies in the authenticate thread could help you.

For accessories I would only go to H itself or to a valid reseller, as per this site.....

Too much fraud going on nowadays to take the chance.....nothing like getting a ribboned orange box anyways.....

Look out for when the overall picture of the shawl shows it scrunched up into a type of rosette rather than showing it flat. Thats a red light.

YES, that is sad but true. There have been a bunch of questionable scarves on *bay lately, all displayed in big artistic wads (the better to NOT show the fakey-ness!) :sad:
Best to authenticate if in doubt.

^^ Oh my, even fake H. china :shocked:? It's crazy...

But to answer OP's question, yes, unfortunately there are many fake H. scarves out there.
Silks and silk/cashmeres. I've seen fake La Femme aux Semmele du Vent (in silk and cashmere), Beloved India (cashmere), Please, Check In (silk), Brides de Gala (silk), Ex Libris (silk) and many others.

If you see a scarf/shawl that you like on the Bay or somewhere else, and you don't know where to look out for to authenticate it, I'd strongly recommend to post it in the authenticate this scarf thread first ;).