Are Swingpacks an Essential Part of a Coach Collection??

I have a swing pack (the brown leather grammercy, which I purchased b/c I love grammercy and wanted something bigger than a wallet, wristlet or miniskinny) and I barely ever use it.

I tend more towards my black parker hippie, or my black madison shoulder bag (which I can wear cross-body) OR my copper claire (which I also wear crossbody) OR my HS convertible hobo. I just bought a jade patent Hailey that I think I'll also be using as a hands-free bag.

My swingpack is just too small for me to use religiously... or maybe at all! I'm keeping it as I figure maybe it would be a good little bag to take on vacations. It's flat, would travel well, and would be a good option if I'm taking a dressier shoulder bag (though so many of my shoulder bags can be worn cross-body, I'm not sure this will ever happen).

The swing pack is just so small... and I have so much stuff!

I do not own a swingpack. I can understand why people like them, but I rarely find very small bags - especially small cross-body bags - flattering. So if you have a use for one and would carry it, then it is certainly worth it, but I definitely do not think they are essential.

I have 2 and don't use them often but they fit a specific purpose very well. For one example, they're PERFECT for a day at the amusement park. The Six Flags by me makes you put your purse in one of those lockers every time you go on a big ride no matter how small the purse is, but they always let me take a swingpack right on with me. It's also good for any outdoor place that you're walking around a lot and need to have your hands free for eating. (Or drinking beer....haha) Can you tell I'm from Wisconsin? We have tons of outdoor music festivals here all summer long!

I'm not really a fan of swingpacks. There have been opportunities for me to buy a swingpack at a decent price, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I just don't find them practical in my lifestyle. Some people say they bring them to say the amusement park, but I'm the type that always has to carry a bottle of water and some snacks and you definitely can't fit that in a swingpack with even just your bare essentials. I actually found a non-Coach brand daypack that literally has like 20 pockets, including one for your water bottle. It's the same size as a swingpack, but of course it's much thicker than a swingpack. This is what I use as my amusement park/ball game bag and it cost me the quarter of the price for a swingpack.

I own 1 swingpack, the Heritage Stripe khaki coated canvas in berry. I love it but I do not use it often. I usually just carry wristlets around when I want to go light.
I'm glad I have it but I could definitely get by without it.
Don't ever put your cell phone in the outer slip pocket of a swingpack. I did that once and almost lost my cell phone. Good thing it slipped out onto the floor of my car instead of somewhere downtown. Keep it inside and zip it up. lol

I only have one, a Bonnie one that has two zip pockets on the front, and I have only used it a few times. The last time I used it was black Friday. It was perfect for this! I think it is nice to have in my collection just in case. I got it for a really good deal so I don't have much money invested (or wasted) if I only use it a few times a year. My kids are older, but if I was needing a small bag this would be persct as it can hold my camera, keys, cell, map or small book (in the back pocket) small wallet, etc.

I have one swingpack and while I did like it for summer, it just doesn't have the organization I need/like. I tend to pack it full so the shape looks a little distorted.

However, I recently bought a messenger bag that I'm excited to try soon!

A swingpack is too small for me at any time, unfortunately. I have tried one on at the outlet, but just isn't for me.

I have a Parker Hippie in Black, which is a perfect size & comfortable. I also bought the Buxton Over the Shoulder Organizer, which has several pockets & is great for water bottles, camera, books & essentials.

I have two swingpacks. I used one at a recent conference when I wanted something hands-free and larger than a wristlet to carry my phone, sunglasses or camera, lipstick and small wallet. It's the leather Brooke swingpack in taupe. That bad boy can hold more stuff than I'd expected, although it's certainly not a full purse replacement. It was perfect for the conference, though. It has two straps, and its long strap can be detached so that it can be carried by its short strap as a small handbag. I got a great deal on this bag, I think it was around $48 after discounts and before tax.

My other swingpack is a leather grass green Madison, and I think it'll provide a good color "pop" for summer outings. I don't know if I could pull off a larger bag in Grass Green. Swingpacks are small enough to allow for a bright color accent without taking over the outfit, IMO. Keep in mind that I mostly wear conservative colors except in summer.

I've seen women wearing swingpacks at the outlet and thought hmm, that's pretty smart in such tight quarters as a busy outlet on Saturdays :smile:.

I've seen swingpacks at the outlet that I liked, but they had fabric straps which I don't like so I passed. Both of my swingpacks have leather straps, which dresses them up a bit.

It would be nice if Coach came out with some larger swingpacks, similar to the daypacks ejoy43 mentioned or something broader yet still flat. Crossbody bags are all the rage now and most non-Coach ones that I've seen have a ton of pockets and are fairly sizable. I like the slim swingpack profile but would also like a larger pack option.

Last edited:
im young so i dont have any kids to chase around or anything like that. i dont really like the swingpacks though. i hate not having all of my stuff with me. if i know im going to need to be more "hands free" ill use one of my bags like my ali that has a crossbody strap. i like it better that way because i can carry all of my stuff, but i dont HAVE to carry it that way, but if i do at least the strap is there.

I too, panic if I don't have all of my "necessities" with me - and they simply won't fit in a swingpack. I think they are cute and a great idea for everyone else who can travel light, but they just won't work for me.