Are some people charging too much for sterling silver?

klb4556

O.G.
May 18, 2009
So, I'm looking to buy a sterling silver initial necklace for a friend..
I found a necklace I like by Maya Brenner but compared to some of the sterling stuff on etsy, it's way way overpriced..

is it true that designers charge too much for sterling when really the stuff on etsy is just as good quality-wise?

thank you!

So, I'm looking to buy a sterling silver initial necklace for a friend..
I found a necklace I like by Maya Brenner but compared to some of the sterling stuff on etsy, it's way way overpriced..

is it true that designers charge too much for sterling when really the stuff on etsy is just as good quality-wise?

thank you!
Never heard of her but after some googling it appears that her items are made overseas. You might as well look for something local and handmade. As for designers charging "too much", thats probably borne from the fact that most jewelry these days is cast in impoverished nations where labour costs are so low that they can charge barely over spot price of silver.

If you want to find something with lasting quality, try to get a bench made item instead of a casting which tend to have porosity problems. Take a look at Stephen Einhorn for example! http://www.stepheneinhorn.co.uk/

Silver as a material is incredibly cheap; the larger factor is the design, quality of craftsmanship, and often times, packaging. If it's a design I love and I can tell the item is made well, I'll spring for it.

That said, it's a substantially better value to buy her WG pieces if it's within budget. Silver is generally a tenth the cost or less from a materials standpoint and gold is lower maintenance than silver.

Siver's around $17 an ounce; gold, $1,200-ish. I don't mind paying for silver if it's a design handmade by the artist, well-made, and unique, because then I'm supporting someone in their life's work. Otherwise, it's good to keep value in mind.

Silver as a material is incredibly cheap; the larger factor is the design, quality of craftsmanship, and often times, packaging. If it's a design I love and I can tell the item is made well, I'll spring for it.

That said, it's a substantially better value to buy her WG pieces if it's within budget. Silver is generally a tenth the cost or less from a materials standpoint and gold is lower maintenance than silver.
do you have any of her pieces? thanks!

In my experience, all silver is not the same. Sometimes the really cheap vendors add other alloys that tarnish or wear more quickly, or turn your skin green. I have silver pieces I wear 24/7 - and I mean all the time (showering, swimming in the ocean, painting, working out, etc) - and now I only wear silver from quality makes. However after a winter camping in Baja, even my Tiffany silver necklace turned black. But thanks to paying the premium up front, they have lifetime cleaning to make it as new again!

Maya Brenner seems reputable, and I'm sure anyone on Etsy with many good reviews and warranty would be a safe bet too.

In my experience, all silver is not the same. Sometimes the really cheap vendors add other alloys that tarnish or wear more quickly, or turn your skin green. I have silver pieces I wear 24/7 - and I mean all the time (showering, swimming in the ocean, painting, working out, etc) - and now I only wear silver from quality makes. However after a winter camping in Baja, even my Tiffany silver necklace turned black. But thanks to paying the premium up front, they have lifetime cleaning to make it as new again!

Maya Brenner seems reputable, and I'm sure anyone on Etsy with many good reviews and warranty would be a safe bet too.
thank you!! this is helpful! do you mean warranties are included with tiffany purchases just upfront? or is there an add'l?

The one main concern with Etsy, is the warranties and the question of " will the shop still be there/ available/ willing to help if/ when I have issues" but I should look for that in their shop info along with really good reviews and that would be best. In the past, a lot of the stuff I've gotten off of Etsy, jewelry included, I wasn't happy with and wish I hadn't wasted money.

You're spot on about silver quality! There's a huge different in qualities of alloys! If you work with a jeweller that offers a silver and platinum alloy you'll have far less issues with pitting and tarnishing albeit the material costs will be higher due to the platinum content.

Last edited:
thank you!! this is helpful! do you mean warranties are included with tiffany purchases just upfront? or is there an add'l?

The one main concern with Etsy, is the warranties and the question of " will the shop still be there/ available/ willing to help if/ when I have issues" but I should look for that in their shop info along with really good reviews and that would be best. In the past, a lot of the stuff I've gotten off of Etsy, jewelry included, I wasn't happy with and wish I hadn't wasted money.

With all Tiffany silver, there is a one-year warranty on any defects. After one year, there will be a repair charge for damage. There is free lifetime cleaning, but if a piece has become so tarnished that simple cleaning won't bring it back, you can opt to have it "refurbished" for a fee (not sure what that is). But so far of the three Tiffany silver pieces I have, the necklace was the only one that had any issue.

Yeah, my experiences with Etsy and eBay silver has been hit and miss, even with good reviews. But again, all depends on price point.

Other silver pieces I've bought:
- from Tacori - beautiful but more pricey even than Tiffany!
- from Pandora - most people just think of the charm bracelets, but Pandora is now making a lot of other simple silver jewellery from necklaces to stacking rings and more. They are at a great price point, wear fabulously and come with a lifetime warranty (with caveats) and lifetime cleaning.
- from Birks, a Canadian fine jeweller - nice collection of unique silver pieces at decent price points with warranty - especially if you are shopping in US dollars - maisonbirks.com
- from John Hardy - beautiful Balinese style items but most pricey due to intricacy and that they use a lot of silver!

Have fun shopping!

Reactions: darkangel07760