Are shoulder/hobo bags a trend?

poleneceline

Mar 16, 2022
Looking for people who own this style of bag and their opinions. I'm considering the Celine Ava bag and the Coach Kleo hobo bag, but I'm worried it's too trendy and it's not a bag I will want to use for many years. I understand if I love something I can just use it and not worry about trends, but I want to ask about the history of this bag style. Are these kinds of shoulder bags or hobo bags just a Y2K trend? Has it only resurfaced in these last few years? Has anyone bought this style of bag and kept using it even when it wasn't popular? How is the practicality, and what are the pros and cons?

If you mean, do I still have all my shoulder hobos from the first Y2K? Then yes.

Gucci bamboo web-stipe half-moon (2005) and re-issue Gucci suede web-stripe half-moon 2010(?). I think the original half moon was 1950s or '60s (have to look it up). And these are just some. My others have a bit more front-facing hardware

I did get rid of a Longchanp from late '90s that would have been pretty trendy right now but it was too small for day.

browwebx2jpg_zpswwezjaqe.jpg

I am old. I remember my oh, so cool and hip, older cousins carrying hobo bags in the 60s and 70s. :lol:

For YEARS hobo bags were my preferred style of bag. I had a blue velvet hobo I carried through most of the late 70s and in the mid 80s I got a black leather hobo that I carried until maybe 2005 or so? I had other purses, but I LOVED both of those bags!

Now that I am older, I use totes mostly. Hobos can be like a big, black hole and all your items get jumbled up in there.

That said, I love that they are so smooshy and unstructured! I still enjoy seeing them on other people. :heart:

Last edited:
I think of a classic, ‘original’ version of a hobo as something like this: usually a larger, generally less structured bag with sides that gradually merge into a single strap, overall creating a circular shape around the shoulder, if you will.
BF42381F-728E-439D-8263-5638B305A60A.jpeg

In a discussion in another thread, people spoke of a hobo as ‘hugging’ the wearer, i.e. that is a particular characteristic of the shape.

From these perspectives, one might argue that the Celine Ava and the Coach Kleo Hobo:
1BE75CBD-293A-4683-A36D-5069CBEED28C.jpeg
379ADE54-2007-4F1C-BDA0-73AAC3D4D873.jpeg

are not really ‘hobos’ in the classic sense… they have the circular effect but they are small, sit right under the armpit, and are quite structured. And to the latter point, no hugging involved :lol:

Someone else in a thread a day or so ago referred to this style as a ‘crescent’ bag which I thought seemed like a good description.

Whatever terms come to mind when one sees the former style versus the latter, I would argue that both are relatively classic and just wane in and out of popularity. For myself, I’d call the latter slightly more trendy because it’s certainly true that it has not been a shape produced as commonly over the past decade and obviously all of a sudden every designer/brand has a variation. Overall it’s probably the inevitable reversal of the crossbody obsession that has been going on for so long.

But neither of these styles are at risk of being outdated at some point like for example, micro bags. There’s going to come a time someday soon when everyone goes ‘what the heck were we thinking’ with micro bags, lol.

I think of a classic, ‘original’ version of a hobo as something like this: usually a larger, generally less structured bag with sides that gradually merge into a single strap, overall creating a circular shape around the shoulder, if you will.
View attachment 5412939

In a discussion in another thread, people spoke of a hobo as ‘hugging’ the wearer, i.e. that is a particular characteristic of the shape.

From these perspectives, one might argue that the Celine Ava and the Coach Kleo Hobo:
View attachment 5412945
View attachment 5412946

are not really ‘hobos’ in the classic sense… they have the circular effect but they are small, sit right under the armpit, and are quite structured. And to the latter point, no hugging involved :lol:

Someone else in a thread a day or so ago referred to this style as a ‘crescent’ bag which I thought seemed like a good description.

Whatever terms come to mind when one sees the former style versus the latter, I would argue that both are relatively classic and just wane in and out of popularity. For myself, I’d call the latter slightly more trendy because it’s certainly true that it has not been a shape produced as commonly over the past decade and obviously all of a sudden every designer/brand has a variation. Overall it’s probably the inevitable reversal of the crossbody obsession that has been going on for so long.

But neither of these styles are at risk of being outdated at some point like for example, micro bags. There’s going to come a time someday soon when everyone goes ‘what the heck were we thinking’ with micro bags, lol.

I think micro bags are just silly accessories but I'm not buying them myself. Yes, I've seen these bags called crescent bags but sometimes the names overlap, or I can't find what I'm looking for when I search crescent bags.

Reactions: Jereni

I have seen a few micro bags used as bag charms on a regular size bag - and look adorable that way. Otherwise... Nope!

Reactions: Jereni