Tech Are screen protectors really necessary for touch phones?

ladyash

O.G.
Jun 5, 2010
I just bought a shock protector case for my galaxy nexus and it came with a screen protector which I managed to screw up and finger print and ruin within five minutes of trying to apply :lol:
Way too frustrating to try and get it aligned right without air bubbles and then dust got under it and it all went downhill from there!
Are they really something necessary for touch screen phones? I have one bookmarked on ebay for cheap if it's worth replacing...I've never had a touch screen phone and I'm not really sure how durable the screens are. I normally put my phone in an empty wristlet then into my purse to protect it from keys and everything.

Screens will always get scratched no matter how careful you are! But the main reason I use a screen protector on all my devices is because I can't stand the smudges and fingerprints! The Power Support Anti-Glare screen protectors are awesome and have a smooth tactile feel. No more fingerprints! Best of all, they are easy to apply and re-apply with no air bubbles at all. Great price at $14.95 for a 2-pk.

Screens will always get scratched no matter how careful you are! But the main reason I use a screen protector on all my devices is because I can't stand the smudges and fingerprints! The Power Support Anti-Glare screen protectors are awesome and have a smooth tactile feel. No more fingerprints! Best of all, they are easy to apply and re-apply with no air bubbles at all. Great price at $14.95 for a 2-pk.

I hear you on the smudges and finger prints! I get made fun of for cleaning my phone at least two or three times a day...

I have an HTC and never put a screen protector on it. As a matter of fact, it gets thrown into my purse and the screen looks good as new. I'm actually amazed at how good it still looks.

I need a screen protector and a cover for my iPhone, simply due to the fact i use it when i have dirty hands (not gardening dirty, but plenty of dust dirty) at work.

I use the Installgaurd (i think) protector. I had the same make on my previous Nokia and it was damned good on it. The only problem with the iPhone one is that arround the button it delaminates a little over time.

I don't think a screen protector is necessary, but it certainly gives me peace of mind knowing the screen will not get scratched. Here is the type that I have. It's more of a thin plastic shield rather than the screen protectors you are used to seeing. You just line it up on your phone, press around the edges to secure, and you're all set. You can remove it and reapply as needed and it even says you can clean the shield with water. No bubbles or stressing about lining it up perfectly on the first try. The back is slightly sticky, but won't leave adhesive residue on your phone. I really like this screen protector so far. The only cons I can think of is that your screen will be matte since it's an anti-glare screen (still vibrant, but not as much so without it) and I think the stickiness may go away over time so you'll have to buy a replacement when that happens. I've had mine since October, and so far so good. I try not to take it off too much, but sometimes I take it off to get rid of the dust build up where the button and sensors are.

http://www.amazon.com/GreatShield-G...SU/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1325460797&sr=8-28

**Not my listing nor do I sell these. Just a fan :smile:

I second the Power Support anti-glare screen protectors. I have one on my iPhone and on my iPad. It's peace of mind for me with regards to scratches, etc. as well as smudges (those drive me crazy).

I never use screen protectors and I've never had a problem. I just toss my phone in my purse and go (I don't even put it in its special pocket). A friend has managed to scratch her phone doing the same thing; no idea what we're doing differently.

I've also come to believe Levi Strauss invented blue jeans for the sole purpose of cleaning off touchscreen phone screens.

I never use screen protectors and I've never had a problem. I just toss my phone in my purse and go (I don't even put it in its special pocket). A friend has managed to scratch her phone doing the same thing; no idea what we're doing differently.

I've also come to believe Levi Strauss invented blue jeans for the sole purpose of cleaning off touchscreen phone screens.

LOL! So far I have been babying the phone so am still using the cleaning cloth that came with it. Once it gets a little older I will probably be less careful with it. My laptop is used to my sweater sleeve cleaning it LOL!

For newer phones (like the iPhone and certain HTC phones), they'll utilize a glass called "gorilla glass". It is much tougher than traditional glass, but of course there are cases where people have broken them. But for the most part, the glass is incredibly strong and scratch resistant. If your phone doesn't utilize "gorilla glass", then I would recommend getting a screen protector. With that being said, make sure you don't toss your phone in your purse (or in your pocket) where the sharp edges from your keys may dig into the screen as an example of things to be mindful of.

For me, if a phone has a screen more than a tiny little thing like on a home cordless phone, it's a requirement. Regardless of what kind of glass it is. I also keep it in a hard case, then in a soft pouch. These things cost a fortune, so I make sure they're protected and insured!

There IS a trick to installation and it's not a quick process. I run the shower for about 10 minutes with the bathroom door closed to kill some of the dust in the bathroom. Then I sit at the counter or the toilet with a book under me and I go very slowly with a little squeegie that came with the screen protector and go super slowly.

For newer phones (like the iPhone and certain HTC phones), they'll utilize a glass called "gorilla glass". It is much tougher than traditional glass, but of course there are cases where people have broken them. But for the most part, the glass is incredibly strong and scratch resistant. If your phone doesn't utilize "gorilla glass", then I would recommend getting a screen protector. With that being said, make sure you don't toss your phone in your purse (or in your pocket) where the sharp edges from your keys may dig into the screen as an example of things to be mindful of.

That ^^

They're also working on an ever tougher version.

i have an iPhone and i do not use a case nor a screen protector with it! I've had my newest one for over 6 months now, and no scratches on the screen! and i abuse my iPhone quite a lot! :smile: