Tech Are screen protectors really necessary for touch phones?

I think it depends on the phone...and probably also luck. I used a screen protector for a couple of weeks when I first got my phone, but once it started peeling at the corners, I got annoyed and just peeled it all off. Then I got used to the feel of the screen without the protector, so I never used one again. It's been like that for over a year now, and I have no problems with it whatsoever. And I don't baby my phones at all and I'm not that careful with it either: I've dropped it (and it's bounced haha) several times and left it in my purse with no issues. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S.

On a contrasting note, when I first got my iPod Nano couple of years ago, I scratched the screen before I even used it. I didn't really care though...'cause it's not like that affects its performance or longevity in anyway. And having a perfect looking scratch-free device isn't gonna do anything for me at the end of it's life (I wouldn't ever re-sell it) either. I would've been neurotic about these things when I was a kid, but I've since then trained myself out of it.

I have had three iPhones, never had a screen protector, never had a scratch. I don't BABY my phone but if its in my purse its in the side pocket, not next to my keys. i hate screen protectors and I don't think they are necessary

I always use screen protectors...Always...on everything that has a touch screen. And I still use a soft cloth to clean them. I'm a little CDO...that's OCD in alphabetical order.

I always use screen protectors...Always...on everything that has a touch screen. And I still use a soft cloth to clean them. I'm a little CDO...that's OCD in alphabetical order.

yep I am slightly OCD I clean the screen pretty much daily with the soft cloth that came with my playbook. I still keep it in a wristlet when it's in my purse so that it doesn't come into contact with keys and I have a shock absorbing case on it because I am clumsy. I still don't have a screen protector because my phone is still very new to Canada and I haven't really found places that sell accessories yet for it. I don't know if I will end up getting them since they peel off after awhile and would need to be replaced. I take really good care of things so I would never be the type of person to just toss it in my purse with a ton of stuff so I think I might be ok.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with my phone in the summer when I like to carry my smaller vintage bags! I had a hard time getting my last phone to fit in my smaller bags so I have no idea how I am going to get a phone twice it's size to fit! I may have to just carry it or stick it in a pocket or something.

I think it depends on the phone...and probably also luck. I used a screen protector for a couple of weeks when I first got my phone, but once it started peeling at the corners, I got annoyed and just peeled it all off. Then I got used to the feel of the screen without the protector, so I never used one again. It's been like that for over a year now, and I have no problems with it whatsoever. And I don't baby my phones at all and I'm not that careful with it either: I've dropped it (and it's bounced haha) several times and left it in my purse with no issues. I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S.

On a contrasting note, when I first got my iPod Nano couple of years ago, I scratched the screen before I even used it. I didn't really care though...'cause it's not like that affects its performance or longevity in anyway. And having a perfect looking scratch-free device isn't gonna do anything for me at the end of it's life (I wouldn't ever re-sell it) either. I would've been neurotic about these things when I was a kid, but I've since then trained myself out of it.

:lol: I'm very accident prone and my last two phones have fallen out of pockets and been dropped. The first thing I bought for this phone was a purple shock absorbing case because I have seen things on the internet with the shattered iphone screens and could totally see myself being one of those unlucky people! It's a $700 phone that I would not be able to afford to replace so I am going to baby it as long as possible. Well until the novelty of it wears out or it becomes obsolete and then I begin to not care as much.

I'm not sure if I will get a screen protector for my iPhone...I am going to just keep it in a wristlet inside my purse (so it doesn't get scratched by my keys). I don't really see the need for one, to be honest!

i don't have a single scratch on my 1 yr old iphone 4, and it's thrown around quite a bit in my bag and dropped quite a few times :/

I had a screen protector on my older iphone, and it was only useful for retaining the shards of glass when the screen shattered after i dropped it.

So I have broken down and bought some screen protectors on eBay...I cleaned my phone off last night and noticed two faint scratches almost in the middle of the screen. They can only be seen at a certain angle in sunlight or artificial light but I have no idea how they got there because I'm still babying my phone as its less than 3 months old :sad: so not happy and either is my OCD right now. Hopefully the screen protectors don't leave residue on the screen or anything since I just bought some generic ones for a few dollars. I bought multiples because I managed to mess up the one that came with my incipio case a few months back and didn't want to spend a ton on something I might screw up again.

I have one on my iPhone. I thought it would be a good idea since I'm always throwing it n my purse and keys are nearby. If I had scratches, I'd flip!

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

For me, if a phone has a screen more than a tiny little thing like on a home cordless phone, it's a requirement. Regardless of what kind of glass it is. I also keep it in a hard case, then in a soft pouch. These things cost a fortune, so I make sure they're protected and insured!

There IS a trick to installation and it's not a quick process. I run the shower for about 10 minutes with the bathroom door closed to kill some of the dust in the bathroom. Then I sit at the counter or the toilet with a book under me and I go very slowly with a little squeegie that came with the screen protector and go super slowly.

My zagg screen protector said to do exactly this in the instructions! They said always apply in the bathroom and steam up the bathroom for 10 minutes before applying!

I always use a screen protector for touch screens. I have them for my iPhone, iPod, and Nook. I barely notice it's there, but it gives me peace of mind. I also like it because it seems like I don't have to clean the screen as much with one on.

I use nothing. The boyfriend tries to sneak and apply a protector but I've always noticed. I dropped my phone on concrete and the only thing that cracked was the case. It gets beat up and banged around regularly and is still working.