Are (ray-ban) polarized sunglass lenses lighter than non-polaroid?

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I just received a pair of Ray Ban wayfarers that are polarized. I love the polarization (no glare is fantastic!) but was a little disappointed that you can see my eyes through the lenses. My other glasses have a darker lens. I know my other Ray-Ban's that have their classic G-15 lens are pretty dark!

So anyone out there also have polarized sunglasses? Can you see your eyes through them or not?

TIA!

Sorry, I don't know the answer. But, I just wanna say that I'm the way you are - I don't like glasses that show my eyes. Haha. I have some that I'll wear sometimes, but I'd prefer to have dark lenses. They seem classier to me, and also that way I can people watch without anyone knowing, hahaha. :]

Hi! i work in optical so im just the person your looking for! unfortunately polarized just comes in the one shade of grey or brown so doesnt get as dark as a tint would, that we can coat a few times to make it darker and darker....

Hi! i work in optical so im just the person your looking for! unfortunately polarized just comes in the one shade of grey or brown so doesnt get as dark as a tint would, that we can coat a few times to make it darker and darker....

^^You are just the person to ask! So if I take my glasses (Ray-Ban large wayfarers with the regular light brown polarized tint) to an optical place they can add more tint? Even to plastic lenses? How much would this run generally? TIA!

I also have the Aviators with polarized lenses, when I look at myself in the mirror I can see my eyes through them, but when I'm outside and someone isn't standing near to me, the lenses seem to be darker and one cannot see my eyes.

Oh darn. Well I guess I'll just roll with it. It makes such a HUGE difference, I never knew glasses could take away glare like that!

p.s. One more question wifeyb if you don't mind. If I took another pair of Ray-Ban's I have with the regular glass green/grey g-15 lens = could they make them polarized too? If so is it just a coating they add OR do they strip the glass and put a lighter lens coloring + the polarizing coating (since the g-15 lens is darker). For the money should I just buy the polarized glasses - or is it relatively cost effective.

:flowers:

p.s. Love you Jessica avatar - my favorite edition this season!

i have the same question as the OP... my rayban aviators are not polarized (did not notice this when i bought them), can i take them to an optical shop and have the lenses polarized? is this doable and/or expensive?

tia!

beaux and cookie-you cannot have your tinted lenses coated to become polarized. you could probably take them where you got them and have them order you polarized demos for that frame and swap out the lenses. i feel polarized is always best way to go, and worth it! its mostly around $50ish more for polarized

jessica is my favorite this season too! last season she got on my nerves, but now shes softened up!

I just received a pair of Ray Ban wayfarers that are polarized. I love the polarization (no glare is fantastic!) but was a little disappointed that you can see my eyes through the lenses. My other glasses have a darker lens. I know my other Ray-Ban's that have their classic G-15 lens are pretty dark!

So anyone out there also have polarized sunglasses? Can you see your eyes through them or not?

TIA!
mine can see thur but it doesn't bother me. but i have no idea what kind of lense. they sort of reflective but i can see my eyes.

So now I'm wondering if it's just the because the lens is brown??? I'm looking at another pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarers and they come in crystal green OR crystal green with polarization! Do you think the "green" would be the same density? Or are polarized lenses always lighter?

hmm....ive never seen this color lens, but depending if the lens is gradient (fades into clear at the bottom) polarized lenses are mostly the same density....but they are going to block the sunglare ALOT better.....for the green im not much help, i would go check them out in person..... :cool:

^^I think it's just the standard ray-ban "G-15" lens (or at least I hope so) I'll report back. I want the largest size (54) and I called all the optical stores in my area and no one carries this size in polarized in stock - so I have to order online anyway.

Fingers crossed!