Are people really no longer wearing their Chanel bags because others (mostly strangers) stare at them and whisper?

Great topic. I am also in NYC..and I will admit since I take the train occasionally when I go into the office I don’t wear mine. On a recent trip to London though I wore one and the only comment/stare I got was at JFK airport. No one batted an eye otherwise. If I am feeling uncomfortable I will turn the cc logo/hardware towards me.

I take my son out to the Flushing/Queens area on weekends to play, and I shop in the Manhasset area on weekdays. I see more Hermes than Chanel. It's strange; there has definitely been a shift recently toward Hermes. I don't think anyone bats an eye at Chanel. Even Hermes, unless it is a unique color or style, people don't really care.

I take my son out to the Flushing/Queens area on weekends to play, and I shop in the Manhasset area on weekdays. I see more Hermes than Chanel. It's strange; there has definitely been a shift recently toward Hermes. I don't think anyone bats an eye at Chanel. Even Hermes, unless it is a unique color or style, people don't really care.
I think this is also specific to where we live. When I was in NY it was all about Hermes. And in Florida, it’s all Chanel, everywhere. I hardly every see an Hermes bag and when I use mine, it gets attention. My Chanels don’t get a second glance (unless it’s something unusual or sparkly). Our zip codes seem to make a lot of difference.

I’m another person living in NYC. I have not noticed any staring and feel pretty comfortable wearing designer bags. There is so much Chanel around!

That being said my favorite Chanel is the reissue — so understated and practical. When I first started buying Chanel I worked in a job where everyone had nice bags so I wore Chanel almost everyday day usually a tote, GST or Cerf. Now I made a career change and bags with big logos are not appropriate. I save my classic flaps for evenings or weekends, but sometimes wear a reissue to work. I traded in the Chanel totes for a leather Garden Party and Celine cabas phantom for work.

I recently got a Constance 24 and it seems much more under the radar than the Chanel classic flaps despite the big H logo. I think the leather and metal chain on Chanel classic flaps is noticeable.

I don’t think it’s because strangers stare and whisper. I’ve never seen this or experienced this myself. I live in a big city so people see designer handbags often. People here don’t care, but we are mindful about what we carry given the chances of robberies and thefts of designer items from the street.

I have noticed less Chanel flaps being carried than during pre-pandamic, it used to be far more common to see a Chanel everywhere, the grocery store, the underground, evening out, shopping. Nowadays I mostly only see Chanel flaps in Selfridges or Harrods (luxury department stores). In my opinion this is due to two reasons. 1. The pandemic has changed the kind of bags we carry, more casual than formal 2. The aggressive price rise, for me I no longer feel comfortable carrying a bag worth over a certain amount. I don’t want to watch my back everywhere I go.

Great topic. I am also in NYC..and I will admit since I take the train occasionally when I go into the office I don’t wear mine. On a recent trip to London though I wore one and the only comment/stare I got was at JFK airport. No one batted an eye otherwise. If I am feeling uncomfortable I will turn the cc logo/hardware towards me.
I wear mine all around NYC but not into the office before we all went to work from home…

Reactions: lani15
Wearing designer bags isn't appropriate for my workplace, but I work from home half of the week so I do have an opportunity to wear my bags. I'm much more comfortable wearing my mini reissue, WOC or my seasonal Chanel bags than my CF. Lately she's only coming out to weddings or a nice dinner. I feel uneasy wearing a bag that is now far more noticeable due to social media, and is selling for almost $10K. I prefer more under the radar bags, but I do have a few LV monogram pieces that are in my rotation.

I would like to point out that men often purchase expensive items (cars, trucks, tools, guns, collectibles, RVs, camping gear, sneakers, etc) and are rarely openly judged (here in the US anyway). These purchases are deemed to be a sign of success, not excess. An interesting sociological difference.

Wearing designer bags isn't appropriate for my workplace, but I work from home half of the week so I do have an opportunity to wear my bags. I'm much more comfortable wearing my mini reissue, WOC or my seasonal Chanel bags than my CF. Lately she's only coming out to weddings or a nice dinner. I feel uneasy wearing a bag that is now far more noticeable due to social media, and is selling for almost $10K. I prefer more under the radar bags, but I do have a few LV monogram pieces that are in my rotation.

I would like to point out that men often purchase expensive items (cars, trucks, tools, guns, collectibles, RVs, camping gear, sneakers, etc) and are rarely openly judged (here in the US anyway). These purchases are deemed to be a sign of success, not excess. An interesting sociological difference.
Completely agree!

Reactions: Penelopepursula

That is so true. Some male co-workers of mine bond over their expensive watches and cars, whereas the women are teased (good natured or not, hard to tell) when they carry or wear anything designer to work…

A lot of people wear designer stuff where I live so I don't think it's a big deal. I've never seen anyone stare and whisper. But either way, what bag I wear depends on where I'm going. If I'm riding public transport to the city, then I probably won't wear anything luxury, maybe a contemporary brand at most. Though I admit I don't really see people wearing classic flaps that casually but maybe other seasonal Chanel bags or minis. Mostly I see flaps at weddings or nice dinners. On the other hand, I was traveling a few weeks ago and noticed in Japan that a lot of women wear their classic flaps and Hermes bags casually (though Japan is probably a safer country than the US). So I guess it just depends where people live. I probably wouldn't wear a classic flap casually at any point in time, just because whatever price it's at, at that moment that price is going to seem too high to wear casually (like 5 years ago, 5K would seem too high, now it only seems "better" because the cf is like 10K!).

That is so true. Some male co-workers of mine bond over their expensive watches and cars, whereas the women are teased (good natured or not, hard to tell) when they carry or wear anything designer to work…
I think this may also be a factor in men being much comfortable with sharing salaries with their coworkers (most likely men) and asking for pay rises whereas if women are teased or judged by their male or female colleagues over their handbag/designer things they may be less willing to share salaries with others or even be able to obtain salary information.

A lot of people wear designer stuff where I live so I don't think it's a big deal. I've never seen anyone stare and whisper. But either way, what bag I wear depends on where I'm going. If I'm riding public transport to the city, then I probably won't wear anything luxury, maybe a contemporary brand at most. Though I admit I don't really see people wearing classic flaps that casually but maybe other seasonal Chanel bags or minis. Mostly I see flaps at weddings or nice dinners. On the other hand, I was traveling a few weeks ago and noticed in Japan that a lot of women wear their classic flaps and Hermes bags casually (though Japan is probably a safer country than the US). So I guess it just depends where people live. I probably wouldn't wear a classic flap casually at any point in time, just because whatever price it's at, at that moment that price is going to seem too high to wear casually (like 5 years ago, 5K would seem too high, now it only seems "better" because the cf is like 10K!).
Agree, Japan seems a much safer country to wear luxury bags or expensive designer items. I have seen videos this year that people got robbed of their designer bags / watches in day light in US, Canada & Europe