Are people really no longer wearing their Chanel bags because others (mostly strangers) stare at them and whisper?

lani15

May 14, 2022
I’ve been seeing this sentiment pushed on youtube and even on TPF. Are people really allowing the opinions and looks of strangers to dictate whether or not they will carry and wear their bags?

Some people are saying that the impending recession makes them look and appear vapid when others are barely able to cover their bills or put food on the table. Unfortunately, that’s not really your issue or business to worry about. Yet, I’m seeing that many Chanel owners feel this way and believe it’s their duty not to make others feel bad and to make them feel more comfortable (by not wearing the bag or any of their items out).

I can understand the reason being a safety concern (personally, I’m not saying I’d wear my CF out in just any particular area). The reason why I and everyone else purchased the bag is because we liked it, wanted it and were able to afford to purchase it.

I can’t imagine spending what I did on my bag to never wear it out or hide it in unknown and invisible bags because other people might stare. People will always feel a way about something but you can’t do anything about or control that. You also shouldn’t let that stop you from enjoying the things you work hard to indulge in as well.

I’m not going to stop wearing Chanel out. I live in one of the bigger cities in America, so I see luxury purses, shoes, coats and clothing on an every day basis, even on the subway here (from brands like Moncler, Loewe, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Dior and Hermes). You tend to see a little bit of everything here.

Have you stopped wearing your Chanel for the aforementioned reasons I’ve listed above that other Chanel owners have mentioned? If not, are you going to continue to purchase and wear them out? I feel like Chanel brings out the worst jealousy, envious attitudes and straight up hate from people (who I believe would purchase it if they could).

I’d like to know your thought, thanks!

In an ideal world, no one should feel the need to adjust what they wear based on the thoughts of others. I don't think we live in such a world, and I'd adjust lol.

In particular, my friends in the city come from all walks of life; that includes some who were laid off recently, and some who were scraping by to begin with. Although they would never want to make me feel uncomfortable for my fashion choices, and they heartily cheer on my career successes, I have no interest in wearing anything that makes them feel uncomfortable, including bags that now look like they cost ten thousand dollars(!)

A Chanel bag is just a bag, a piece of fashion. Being considerate to my friends and having a good time together means a lot more to me.

Last edited:
I was wearing Chanel today RTW and a little bag.

Only the friend I went to have coffee even noticed, and that was from the buttons on my sweater, not because of the bag.

As you say, I see a bit of everything most days. People could be staring and whispering with admiration TBH. I am ready to meet stares and comments when I war real fur, and 9/10 anyone making a comment says nice things if they say anything at all, it's just the 'activism' in my head, not in the real world.

At the end of the day, they're just things. Gotta carry things, gotta carry a bag, may as well be a Chanel end of.

In a perfect world, we’d all do what we want without worrying about what others think/feel but alas we aren’t there yet!

Personally, I never carry my Chanel bags to work or on business trips with my colleagues. I once carried a non-Chanel designer purse from a more discreet brand (BV) and someone made a comment about how it was fancy and high-end etc. I don’t think he meant anything by it but it shows that people notice such things. I work in an industry where luxury goods aren’t really the norm and which was severely impacted by the pandemic, so I can understand that displays of luxury handbags might prompt all sorts of reactions. With office politics being what they are, I would rather not invite more problems if you get what I mean.

Outside the office though, I wear whatever and whenever I want! I live in NYC so Chanel is everywhere.

No. Not I. But I said this in another thread - the premise of feeling guilt/judgement from others because of the cost of their bags seems to be expressed only on Chanel's forum. I rarely see this sentiment on LV or Hermes. It might be because some think of it as "flashy" and recognizable. It's hard to say, because I for one definitely recognize Birkins/Kellys and most LV bags!

Here‘s a thought: We are living in a handbag/designer/luxury bubble….

Many peolpe are so caught up in their own life, not able or willing to waste time on judging anybody based on the bag or accessories they wear (let alone notice and recognize items as authentic)

And the ones that DO … are also living in the bubble or would judge anybody for anything anyway. Nothing one can do about it.

But I agree with Swanky on the ‘appropriate’ place and time.

Nope. I wear whatever I want; jewelry, bags, etc. . . Obviously I wouldn't to certain places where it's not appropriate, but otherwise no way I'm editing what I wear because of others think/react.
Fair enough. I respect it and feel the same way.

I don't really feel too comfortable wearing my classic flap at work. It's not that practical for work anyways since I need to bring a laptop. However, I will wear the heck out of it when shopping, dining out, hanging out with my friends but location matters. There's lots of crime in Seattle and I always consider that when bringing expensive items out.
I wouldn’t wear mine to work because I carry way too much there anyway. My Neverfull GM is my everyday work bag.

No. Not I. But I said this in another thread - the premise of feeling guilt/judgement from others because of the cost of their bags seems to be expressed only on Chanel's forum. I rarely see this sentiment on LV or Hermes. It might be because some think of it as "flashy" and recognizable. It's hard to say, because I for one definitely recognize Birkins/Kellys and most LV bags!
I do notice it a bit more in this forum as well. I’ve actually witnessed a woman carrying a Birkin in the subway. I think she realized that it was noticeable because she started hiding it behind a plastic bag.

In a perfect world, we’d all do what we want without worrying about what others think/feel but alas we aren’t there yet!

Personally, I never carry my Chanel bags to work or on business trips with my colleagues. I once carried a non-Chanel designer purse from a more discreet brand (BV) and someone made a comment about how it was fancy and high-end etc. I don’t think he meant anything by it but it shows that people notice such things. I work in an industry where luxury goods aren’t really the norm and which was severely impacted by the pandemic, so I can understand that displays of luxury handbags might prompt all sorts of reactions. With office politics being what they are, I would rather not invite more problems if you get what I mean.

Outside the office though, I wear whatever and whenever I want! I live in NYC so Chanel is everywhere.
I get it. My post wasn’t really involving the workplace since I wouldn’t carry mine to work (I carry way too much for a CF to be an everyday bag) but I understand.

I was wearing Chanel today RTW and a little bag.

Only the friend I went to have coffee even noticed, and that was from the buttons on my sweater, not because of the bag.

As you say, I see a bit of everything most days. People could be staring and whispering with admiration TBH. I am ready to meet stares and comments when I war real fur, and 9/10 anyone making a comment says nice things if they say anything at all, it's just the 'activism' in my head, not in the real world.

At the end of the day, they're just things. Gotta carry things, gotta carry a bag, may as well be a Chanel end of.
Understood. I respect it.

I’ve noticed the “I dont wear classic flaps out” because it gets too much attention around here. Maybe they are introverts and dont want to be bothered? Idk but I only buy what I will wear. People will have to adjust or whisper. That’s their problem not mine. At the moment I do not go any where that my bags would be inappropriate.

Last edited:
In an ideal world, no one should feel the need to adjust what they wear based on the thoughts of others. I don't think we live in such a world, and I'd adjust lol.

In particular, my friends in the city come from all walks of life; that includes some who were laid off recently, and some who were scraping by to begin with. Although they would never want to make me feel uncomfortable for my fashion choices, and they heartily cheer on my career successes, I have no interest in wearing anything that makes them feel uncomfortable, including bags that now look like they cost ten thousand dollars(!)

A Chanel bag is just a bag, a piece of fashion. Being considerate to my friends and having a good time together means a lot more to me.
Have your friends mentioned that they feel uncomfortable with you wearing your bag or are you just assuming it makes them feel uncomfortable?

IMO it depends. There’s definitely a demand for certain social consciousness among bloggers/YouTubers, and honestly I appreciate that, even if they only say that to keep the appearances. At another hand, as a pedestrian bag wearer one IMO might be more lax and adjust it to what they find the most suitable for themselves.

Reactions: baghabitz34
I’ve noticed the “I dont wear classic flaps out” because it gets too much attention around here. Maybe they are introverts and dont want to be bothered? Idk but I only buy what I will wear. People will have to adjust or whisper. That’s they problem not mine. At the moment I do not go any where that my bags would be inappropriate.
I noticed it a lot as well on youtube. In fact I haven’t noticed that Hermes Birkin, Kelly or Constance bags have had the “too much attention” sticker attached to it the way Chanel bags have, even though they are more expensive as well. I think @pinksandblues mentioned this too.

I would be more afraid of someone grabbing it and running or worse pulling a weapon. Apparently in D.C. people are getting their Canadian Goose jackets taken from them. The whispering may be setting eyes on a target and if that is you, take evasive action immediately, like walking into a store, or asking someone for directions, the time,whatever but do not continue walking towards whomever you are getting vibes that are raising a red flag.

I would be more afraid of someone grabbing it and running or worse pulling a weapon. Apparently in D.C. people are getting their Canadian Goose jackets taken from them. The whispering may be setting eyes on a target and if that is you, take evasive action immediately, like walking into a store, or asking someone for directions, the time,whatever but do not continue walking towards whomever you are getting vibes that are raising a red flag.
I wasn’t actually talking about myself. It’s only what I’ve read. The Canada Goose thefts have been going on for a while now in D.C and Chicago. I do agree that people should be vigilant everywhere.

Reactions: luann