are people really never that honest in stores?!

kallison

wake up.you're alive
Sep 3, 2006
i was at best buy today buying a graduation gift for a friend. and i bought three things and had the total in my head, since my best buy cc is about maxed out (hehe). so she said the total, but i didn't really pay attention. i guess as long as nothing goes off when leaving it was okay. so i got out to my car and was looking at the receipt. she didn't ring up a dvd.

so, anyways, i went back in and told them it wasn't rung up and i needed to pay for it.

and i go THE weirdest looks from the girls working at cs. like, does no one admit when something like this happens? am i really that weird for being honest?!

i just thought it was interesting...i'm as honest as i can be and it's amazing that some people aren't.

I think there are a ton of people who would have just walked out and not went back to pay for the DVD.

The same kind of thing happened to me a few years ago. I was trying on clothes in a store and I found a credit card in the dressing room. I took it to the customer service desk, and they said, "Wow, you're turning it in?" My conscience absolutely could not let me keep someone else's credit card and use it! It's scary that most people lack a conscience nowadays.

kallison-so nice of you to do that! I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't have gone back.

one time, my parents came back from the grocery store with $20 tray of lamb, the grocery bagger must of put it into our bags by mistake. (it wasn't on the receipt)

well... my aunt owns a donut shop, and i can tell you her customers are the most honest people i've ever met. i have worked weekend shifts when my aunt needed time off... and i'd get people who would come in and tell me they still owed xxx amount from the day before, when they didn't have enough cash on them (my aunt only accepts cash)... even if it was less than $1! my aunt is usually really nice and trusting, and will let people purchase even if they didn't have enough, and will tell them to come back the next day. she doesn't do it all the time, so it really depends on the situation.

i don't recall if i've ever had a cashier forget to ring something, though. there are times when i don't pay attention, so if it did ever happen, it likely went unnoticed.

Yea, umm, kalllison, you are special. ;)

I just thought of my grandma. Bloomies never charged her for the home delivery and the curtains she received. The total was 1500 dollars. She sighs with relief every time she opens her statement and it's not on there. It's been almost a year now.

i mean, i'm sure it's happened before that something hasn't been rung up and i've never noticed- especially at the grocery store or something when i've got a lot of stuff. but i can't just let something slide when i KNOW it's happened...

i don't know. i think i might be too honest for my own good sometimes. which sucks, cause i would have loved to not max out that card. :P

I've had that happen to me a couple of times, too. Every time you tell the cashiers that they forgot to ring something up and you want to pay for it, they look at you like you have lobsters crawling out of your ears. I guess they're just so used to getting ripped off.
I ordered a Hello Kitty cell phone charm from Strapya World, and the charge didn't appear on my credit card even after two weeks of watching for it. I e-mailed them, thinking they just forgot to charge me. I got a reply right away. It turns out that it takes a bit for the charge to go through in Japan. It did appear eventually. If it hadn't, I would've contacted them again. I got my Hello Kitty charm, they deserve their $12.

Slightly a separate topic, but...

I was charged $23.99 for a $3.99-$5 bag of cherries at Harris Teeter today...the manager told me that the sign that read "3.99" was actually $8.99...which if that was the case, then their flyer and signs were WRONG. They said I was wrong and wouldn't correct it. I asked for my money back and I got a shrug and a put-off story. So I'm pretty cynical about stores today -_- This was the same day that I bought five ears of corn from the same store and 4 of them had no kernels on half the ears! :rant: And I had an ebay seller send me a very threatening email after 2 days; I ALWAYS pay immediately after the auction (as my perfect positive feedback shows), but this time I just couldn't because I wasn't in town. The guy allowed 7 days to pay, but started threatening action after just two. I was so angry! Such a rude way to conduct business!

SOmetimes when you try to be honest people think you are crazy. I was at Blockbuster about 2 weeks ago and bought 3 DVD's and a pokemon book for my son. The book was about $19.00 but they did not charge me for the book. I knew the amount was way too low and I questioned if it was right, I got a yes it is I rung all the things. I again asked and said that they forgot to ring up something. Somehow the book did not scan a price when he did it. Then the guy and other guy working there told me you should have not told us and just took the book for free. I replied it wasn't the right thing to do and I would not feel comfortable not paying for something I bought. So I paid and left the store. But it was more like it was a hassle on their part for me to pay.

Last summer, I walked out of an Also store with two sequin bags in my hands by accident. The alarm didn't ring or anything so I didn't notice until I walked a couple of feet more. I was with my cousin, who came to visit and told me to just keep them. I felt big kicks in the stomach, so I ran back in to put them back with my arms stretched forward, hoping they didn't suspect I was stealing. I didn't walk up to the cashier because I didn't know what to say that wouldn't bring uneasy attention on me.

A few years ago was at Home Depot & purchased 3 white shelves. When the cashier told me the total, I thought it was way less expensive than I had calculated. Once I got in the car I looked at the receipt & realized he only charged me for one. So I walked back in & informed them of this. The person working there looked at me weird & was a little pissed that they had to do a refund/exchange have me pay the difference. I was like WTF??