Are patent leather boots still really in and mainstream?

livefire

Sep 5, 2013
US
Hi,

I have a quick question as I spotted a pair of knee high heel dress boots for my wife that were patent leather. But I then realized that maybe patent leather boots are not so very much in at the moment as they were a few years as regular leather and suede seem to be the thing.

Does anyone wear knee high leather (flat or heeled) dress boots that you still wear? are they too flashy? (and reflective?) Thanks for your thoughts.

LF

Kayapo97

O.G.
May 24, 2009
England
Hi,

I have a quick question as I spotted a pair of knee high heel dress boots for my wife that were patent leather. But I then realized that maybe patent leather boots are not so very much in at the moment as they were a few years as regular leather and suede seem to be the thing.

Does anyone wear knee high leather (flat or heeled) dress boots that you still wear? are they too flashy? (and reflective?) Thanks for your thoughts.

LF

Yes suede is the material of the moment for boots, that slightly softer edge, but patent is still around, I wore mine earlier in the week. and very practical for winter weather of course, which suede is not.

elisian

vintage queen
Oct 16, 2014
Portland, OR
I haven't seen much patent around myself - on the street or in blogs. BUT I live in Portland, so... take that with a grain of salt!

Patent is less high-maintenance than suede but it somehow "looks" more high-maintenance. Does that make sense? If you want to buy her something nice with the potential to last more than 2 months (ha), try a natural finished leather, like a calfskin. t won't be waterproof out of the box but you can get it waterproofed much more easily. (Suede can be waterproofed too but I've found there are limits... and once it's ruined it's harder to revive.)