Travel Cruise in the Bahamas

Hello,
I am planning for my first cruise.
I am planning to go on a 3nite cruise to the Bahamas from Florida.
I do not have a passport but did call both the cruiseline and passport office and both are telling me as long as it's a closed loop cruise,which it is, that I do not need one.
My SIL who works for the cruise line is telling me that I definitely need one.
Now I am confused.....I am going to apply for a passport tommorrow, but it may not arrive in time for my departure.
Help !!!

Hello,
I am planning for my first cruise.
I am planning to go on a 3nite cruise to the Bahamas from Florida.
I do not have a passport but did call both the cruiseline and passport office and both are telling me as long as it's a closed loop cruise,which it is, that I do not need one.
My SIL who works for the cruise line is telling me that I definitely need one.
Now I am confused.....I am going to apply for a passport tommorrow, but it may not arrive in time for my departure.
Help !!!
Some cruise lines recommend a passport in event you need to fly back mid-cruise, and to make disembarkation quicker.

Effective June 1, 2009, the following rules take effect for cruise passengers:
U.S. citizens on cruise voyages that begin and end at the same U.S. port (closed-loop itineraries) must show proof of citizenship* and government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license). A passport will not be required for passengers that fall into this category.
*Documents include: Original or certified copy of birth certificate; Naturalization papers; Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by Department of State
All other passengers and/or itineraries (such as cruises which begin in one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port or any cruise that begins or ends in a foreign port) will require a passport or other recognized document. For a list of accepted documents, see state.gov/travel

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.
http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

http://www.expertcruiser.com/blog/cruisers-passports-required-june-1-2009/

edit: I'm getting on my little soapbox, but EVERYONE NEEDS a passport, regardless of if you never have plans to leave the country. They are superb identification documents, and when getting jobs you can just show your passport instead of DL & SS card.

Last edited:
Read this article: http://ezinearticles.com/?Are-Passports-Required-on-Closed-Loop-Cruises?&id=3372888

You won't need a passport for re-entry after a closed-loop cruise but you will need proof of citizenship (original/certified birth certificate) and proof of identity (driver's license). HOWEVER, it's still a good idea to get one b/c it makes life easier when you travel. Also, always double check your cruise documentation. Also, you should confirm entry requirements for Bahamas...they may or may not require a passport.

My travel agent highly recommended that I have a passport with me during my last cruise, closed loop cruise to W. Caribbean out of the Port of Miami. The main concern being that I'd need a passport in case of a medical emergency in which I'd need to fly back to the US. Having my passport with me also made clearing US Customs much easier. As someone else posted, I've also used my passport as proof of legal residence/nationality when applying for a new job.

I would apply for one just in case. I just looked for you and the current application processing time is 4-6 weeks. When is your cruise?

Here's a link: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

You can get it expedited as well if necessary. DH and I just renewed ours for a trip to Europe and I *think* it took 4 weeks tops

Thank you.
I applied for one yesterday.I paid for expedite service which should take 2-3 weeks.
I hope it comes in on time because I leave in 3weeks.
Only now they have my birth certificate....so I think now I'm really stuck.
Please keep fingers crossed for me.

When my sister expedited her passport last February she got it within a week so good luck!

I have a question: My boyfriend is Turkish but he will have a 6 mth work visa for the US. I am thinking for a vacation we may go to one of hte US Virgin Islands.. he would not need a visa for this correct?

When my sister expedited her passport last February she got it within a week so good luck!

I have a question: My boyfriend is Turkish but he will have a 6 mth work visa for the US. I am thinking for a vacation we may go to one of hte US Virgin Islands.. he would not need a visa for this correct?

To be safe, you should research your question on the US Department of State or Homeland Security websites or contact them directly if your answer isn't found on the websites.

Here are a few links:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1271.html

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/study_exchange/

Thank you.
I applied for one yesterday.I paid for expedite service which should take 2-3 weeks.
I hope it comes in on time because I leave in 3weeks.
Only now they have my birth certificate....so I think now I'm really stuck.
Please keep fingers crossed for me.

Can you get a certified birth certificate quickly? Just in case you don't get your passport and original birth certificate back in time?

E,
HEY U!
u should be fine.ANY time I expedited....i got it in less than 3 days!!!U can even call directly and check to see if its been sent out!Call me...Ill walk u through it!

I believe you should have one... since they passed that law a couple years ago, no countries will allow you in if you don't have a passport. it's a lot more strict.. probably to prevent terrorism or something. believe me, i know... i went through hell and back and didn't get to go on my honeymoon to barbados because i had my passport stolen in puerto rico.

better safe than sorry!

Can you get a certified birth certificate quickly? Just in case you don't get your passport and original birth certificate back in time?
I thought of that,but I was born in Puerto Rico and my original birth certificate will no longer be valid effective july 1st.I don't think a certified copy will arrive in time.especially with Puert Rico getting ready to update they entire systems.

E,
HEY U!
u should be fine.ANY time I expedited....i got it in less than 3 days!!!U can even call directly and check to see if its been sent out!Call me...Ill walk u through it!

less than 3days?wow!!
Mine is an initial one and with not being born here....I'm keeping my fingers crossed .
At least I have a number now (just checked on line)wohoo!
Hopefully that means it will come soon?

I know we now need our passports to go to Bimini and Atlantis from Miami......you will be fine, expedited is fast.........and by the way, they now have a Card which you can use for Mexico and parts of the Bahamas.....its really convenient so you don't have to travel with your passport and you apply for it at the same time as the passport...........have a great time........

I know we now need our passports to go to Bimini and Atlantis from Miami......you will be fine, expedited is fast.........and by the way, they now have a Card which you can use for Mexico and parts of the Bahamas.....its really convenient so you don't have to travel with your passport and you apply for it at the same time as the passport...........have a great time........

Thank you.
I'm so excited.I just checked on line and it states that it was completed and I should have it by Friday.wohoooo!!!!
I can't believe it, my first cruise.

They do have the card but if you need to be flown back,you need the actual passport booklet,the card will not be enough.
At least that's what I was told when I called.

Now to plan what to do in the Bahamas .