Are my piercings even?

Sep 6, 2007
I'm really not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I was wondering whether you guys can give me an opinion on my newly pierced ears.

I got them done 2 weeks ago at the ripe old age of 22. I feel that they are not even. One of my ears are dead centre, but the other could be 0.5mm more toward the inside. I think 0.5mm is very small, but i have small ears, and it seems off even for me to realise, and upon noticing it, i asked a few friends who agreed it could be a little bit toward to the inside, not not that close to edge.

My worry is that I wont be able to wear dangly earrings and hoops, as they wont fall nicely or emphasis the uneven-ness. I'm kind of scared to get them re-pierced because of the pain, but more because of scar tissues that might form. Also, I would have wear one earring for a while because of that, and it might be weird.

I'm so bummed as i was so excited to finally be able to wear pretty earrings. I've attached pictures. Please let me know your opinions.

IMG_59532.jpg

left ear is the one i feel is slightly off.

IMG_60532.jpg

Well, to me they don't look even! I'm not sure how noticeable it is in real life, though.

So sorry you have problems with it... normally piercers should be experienced enough to get it right! :sad:

I think they look fine. The human body isn't symmetrical, and there are slight differences between your left and right ears, as there is on anyone if inspected this closely. It looks to me like the piercings are the same distance from the upper edge of each lobe, but there's a slight difference in the distance from the lower edge of each lobe. I'd leave it be, it won't be noticable in day-to-day life anyway.

My worry is that earrings won't sit the same. I remember someone telling me that because her piercing was towards the edge. She couldn't wear dangly earrings. Also read that hoops look weird if pierced in the wrong position.

I think yours look pretty good to be honest. I mean, no ones gonna be able to compare your ears side by side like that in real life :smile:

Mine are totally uneven, much worse than yours. But I think they look fine despite that.

While i agree that the left one would look better if the piercing is slightly more to the inside, i dont think people will generally notice the difference. It will probably only be noticeable if u point it out. I also dont think it will cause u any problems if u wear hoops or dangly earrings.

I think the difference is too small to notice in real life. We normally tend to scrutinize ourselves much closer than anyone else would, and subsequently feel the flaws are magnified, as if there's a giant neon arrow pointing at them.

Don't forget the angle that head tilts would alter the length of any dangling earrings you may want to wear as well! I find I often tilt my head towards the left in any situation, so danglies would more likely to graze my left shoulder.

They look fine to me. The human body is hardly symmetrical when under close inspection and that small of a difference is nothing near substantial enough to have to get your ears re pierced.

I think they look good. I've had my done three times since I was 12 because they keep closing. The second time was by a surgeon (family friend) and he didn't make them perfectly even either. You are the only one who would know whether they are perfectly even.

I think you are seeing tiny differences in your ears rather than the piercings. I think it looks fine. As many have said, the human body isn't symmetrical.

I bet almost nobody has 100% even piercings anyway.

I tend to be obsessive about symmetry and matching, and I have totally been in your shoes. I can see what you pointing out. It may be the picture, but it looks like you have a cute dimple in the bottom edge of that earlobe (the one you think is too far) and not the other? I think the piercer was probably lining up the spots with the curve of the earlobe, so it is not very noticeable.

That said, I agree with the others who said to just let it be. First, like I mentioned, it is not really noticeable unless you stare at your ears. If you think about it, how many times have you closely studied the earlobes of even your friends? Second, that small of a placement difference shouldn't affect how earrings will fall. If you are wearing dangling earrings, there will be movement of the earrings unless you plan on standing absolutely still with no head movement. People will be paying more attention to the earrings than to where the holes are. Third, the scar tissue from re-piercing is annoying. I had to get one of my holes re-pierced, because they didn't pierce it straight, that is, the earring post was at an rather obvious angle through my earlobe, which definitely affected how earrings fit. I had a small keloid in that earring for a long time, and even now, that ear gets irritated far more easily than the other.

Sorry to write a book on this, but your post reminded me of me :P As long as the earring hole is straight, just leave it be and enjoy wearing your new earrings!

if you notice, the placement of your ears in the photos is off by a couple of mm, so I think that makes them look a little more off. I think they are fine. Barely noticeable in a photo that is off.

There is a slight difference, but I would not have noticed it if you didn't point it out. You should see my second hole ear piercings. They were so off that I had a third hole pierced in one ear just to balance things out! :roflmfao: