Are Mother of Pearl really that delicate?

fsadeli

O.G.
Apr 30, 2007
I wash mine every time I feel like I've perspired too much (usually in the Summer months) and I haven't seen any shrinkage. I've had this necklace for at least 5 years...zero issues. I don't wear it in the shower, pool, beach or to work out though so I am very careful.
Definitely try on both the Sweet and the Vintage size...don't let the price sway you into which one you'll pick. I'm only 5 feet tall and the Vintage doesn't look huge on me at all. The Sweet is more for layering in my opinion or for young girls/teens...but to each their own.
thanks! I always like dainty necklace but you are right, probably should have check in store and compare!

Jun 5, 2007
I really like the sweet alhambra because of the price point and also white. I'm quite petite too so I like dainty necklace. TIA all, any feedbacks arw much appreciated :smile:

I'm only 5'0" tall and I recently discovered and fell in love with the sweet butterfly WMOP pieces (most of my jewelry is from Tiffany, and I didn't really know anything about VCA until recently). My husband got me the pendant and earrings for a couple of occasions over the past year, and even though I know they're "meant for" teens/children (and I'm in my late 40s, ha!), I find their size and scale to be perfect for me. I lead a very casual life and all of my jewelry tends to be dainty and minimal, and these pieces fit right in with my collection. I did have the pendant's chain lengthened 2", and wear it both layered and on its own. I don't ever shower or sleep with my jewelry on, and I put on any fragrance or moisturizers before I put on these items on. I've only had them for the last 6-12 months, but they still look like new and I receive many compliments on them (and I'm fairly certain no one realizes that they're VCA). Having said that, I live in an area where I have never seen anyone wearing VCA, so YMMV.

I love the sweet size so much I plan on adding other items to my wishlist as well. I say if you love the sweets and think they suit you, go for it! :smile:

HTH!

wisconsin

bvbags
O.G.
Apr 4, 2012
I'm only 5'0" tall and I recently discovered and fell in love with the sweet butterfly WMOP pieces (most of my jewelry is from Tiffany, and I didn't really know anything about VCA until recently). My husband got me the pendant and earrings for a couple of occasions over the past year, and even though I know they're "meant for" teens/children (and I'm in my late 40s, ha!), I find their size and scale to be perfect for me. I lead a very casual life and all of my jewelry tends to be dainty and minimal, and these pieces fit right in with my collection. I did have the pendant's chain lengthened 2", and wear it both layered and on its own. I don't ever shower or sleep with my jewelry on, and I put on any fragrance or moisturizers before I put on these items on. I've only had them for the last 6-12 months, but they still look like new and I receive many compliments on them (and I'm fairly certain no one realizes that they're VCA). Having said that, I live in an area where I have never seen anyone wearing VCA, so YMMV.

I love the sweet size so much I plan on adding other items to my wishlist as well. I say if you love the sweets and think they suit you, go for it! :smile:

HTH!
I love the sweet turquoise butterflies and wear them.I am over 50 and don’t care.

sassification

♡ embrace minimalism
O.G.
Dec 14, 2008
I wash mine every time I feel like I've perspired too much (usually in the Summer months) and I haven't seen any shrinkage. I've had this necklace for at least 5 years...zero issues. I don't wear it in the shower, pool, beach or to work out though so I am very careful.
Definitely try on both the Sweet and the Vintage size...don't let the price sway you into which one you'll pick. I'm only 5 feet tall and the Vintage doesn't look huge on me at all. The Sweet is more for layering in my opinion or for young girls/teens...but to each their own.

I read on other sites that a quick rinse for MOP in water is fine, quickly drying it off.. i do that once in a long while. And if i wash my hands and some droplets get on the motifs, i jusy quickly wipe dry. My MOP motifs still has great glow and shine so i dont think its as difficult to maintain. Just dont shower or swim in it.

Mine is ard 3 yrs old

Reactions: AnaBeavTheOG

Liz86000

Aug 5, 2022
Yes. And I regret not taking a better care of it...:-s

I can't be 100% sure if it was my sweat or cleaning it with mild soap that caused it to loose the *mirror-finish*. I wore my bracelet while traveling and unfortunately the weather was warmer than I had expected, so there were definitely at least a few days where my wrist sweated with the bracelet on. I've cleaned my other designer pearl pieces using mild soap before and had no issue, so I didn't even give it another thought and did the same, and tragedy happaned... :facepalm: Now, I didn't inspect the motifs closely prior to washing so maybe they were already like this or maybe it was the cleaning that caused it... Anyway, posting a picture found online of how the stones should look like, that they are very glossy and shiny. View attachment 5573400
And then see mine below. The picture with blue circles was taken right after I washed it. You could see that the edges still had some residual of the glossiness, and I assumed it was bc either the sweat or the soap didn't reach close to the prongs/edges.
View attachment 5573405
I freaked out ofc lol. So I sent this to my SA and asked her if I broke these stones. It was difficult to examine remotely, so we tried to really wipe it, and it didn't work so she suggested I give it another wash with least soap possible. She said based on the pictures they still looked good, and probably were just greasy along the edges. This time I got it close to the edges, so the stones all look uniform now, that there are no more glossiness to it. Since vca doesn't do any treatment or spa to their stones and can only replace, I do prefer the stones to look uniform like this, although obviously this is not how they are supposed to look like...
View attachment 5573406
I ended up sending the bracelet in for my SA to take a look. She said my stones are not broken just lost some shine to them. She also doesn't recommend replacing yet since losing the shine won't make the stones more fragile or change color etc. The gmop stones still look very iridescent and in good shape to me for the most part, but they no longer have that mirror finish. My SA stressed that there is no coating or seal on their stones, so I guess there really isn't a way to restore it. My SA also said this doesn't always happen to everybody. It could be that my sweat or body oil just doesn't suit well with gmop, and the same thing can happen again if we replace them.

Either way what happened has happened and I can only try my best to avoid by not wearing the bracelet in warmer weather and only wipe with polish cloth. I would still purchase mop from vca, the gmop is just so pretty especially when they reflect the lights. But for those who are wondering if mop is delicate, the answer is yes it requires more care and attention.
My white mother of pearl bracelet does that too. NOT to the extent of yours, but still, I can see, like smudges around the prongs if you see what I mean. So now I wipe it regularly with a soft cloth. Not everything is gone, but you won't see it unless you're looking very closely. But I don't know how it happened. It's fairly new (I've bought it for my birthday in April of this year) but I do wear it everyday (but I never shower with it).
I will return to the boutique soon so I hope they will be able to clean it better than I can hopefully ?
Thank you for talking about this issue because I hadn't seen anybody talking about this.

KittyCattt

May 12, 2021
My white mother of pearl bracelet does that too. NOT to the extent of yours, but still, I can see, like smudges around the prongs if you see what I mean. So now I wipe it regularly with a soft cloth. Not everything is gone, but you won't see it unless you're looking very closely. But I don't know how it happened. It's fairly new (I've bought it for my birthday in April of this year) but I do wear it everyday (but I never shower with it).
I will return to the boutique soon so I hope they will be able to clean it better than I can hopefully ?
Thank you for talking about this issue because I hadn't seen anybody talking about this.
Let us know if you end up with good news!! I kind of gave up at this point since the only option I have left is to replace the motifs. I unfortunately am still quite bothered by this issue, so I will be looking forward to the day I eventually replace them in a few years :crybaby:

Reactions: Liz86000