Are LV bags entirely hand stitched or sewed? Im worried!

Lc4x4

Feb 6, 2011
Well, at least 80% of the stitches are hand sewn. I buy LV mostly for their hand sewn or handmade goodness and craftsmanship. I might end up selling all my LVs and buy a Hermes if the stitches are not more than 20% machine sewn.

Louis Vuitton bags have not been hand-stitched for at leas 20 years. They just got in trouble for an ad showing someone hand stitching a bag and had to pull the ad. While there are people piecing bags and involved in production, they use both sewing machines, other automated machinery and a modified assembly line process, with workers performing the same tasks over and over again, and lots of workers and machines involved. I doubt even 20% of an LV bag is hand-stitched. While people do run the sewing machines and other machinery, they are not literally "hand-stitching" in any real way. I guess you might say hand-assembled with the help of machines and automation. Remember the volume of bags being made. It's staggering. You definitely don't have a situation where one person is sitting down and making and piecing together any purse. You'll need Hermes for that, and plan around $10,000 and a long wait.

Reactions: GrRoxy and JD1123
Charleston-mom is correct, the bags are not stitched by hand. Here is a picture from Vuitton's most recent craftsmanship advertising campaign showing a sewing machine.

LV_Leather_Goods_Workshop_7.jpg

yeah charleston-mom is correct... although the made to order and the hardsided luggage are hand made... it is shown in the making of the LV world cup trunk and theres another one on youtube... but the bags that we buy well they are machine made.... and assembled by hand.... its a shame but if you want handmade go to hermes and pay $10000+ and have to wait...

noooooooo!

But i still love LV

If you still love LV then I wouldn't worry too much about whether something is handstitched vs hand-assembled 'with help'. Provided the quality and designs still appeal to you it seems silly to consider switching based on this. Don't get me wrong - I admire good craftmanship and do admire the quality of the work that goes into the Hermes lines but when I'm grabbing a bag to fit my outfit or lifestyle LV still tends to have the answer for me.

Even though it's sewn with sewing machines, I still love the fact that each piece is still "hand-guided" into the machine instead of having everything done by a machine. Another good thing is that LV DOES NOT employ sweatshop workers to make our bags; and to me, that's enough to justify their high prices.