Are Louboutins outdated?

mama_nacho

May 21, 2020
Realize I might get some fire for posting this in what is a Louboutin lovers sub-forum, but wondering if anyone else has thought about how Louboutins are faring in today’s climate given events such as #metoo movement?

I used to want to get a classic pair or two of Louboutins one day, but now it almost feels a bit... off. In the way Victoria’s Secret feels, that blatant in-your-face objectification type of sexiness. The designer himself’s famous words on the discomfort of his shoes (which is in similar vein to Victoria’s Secret’s CEO) doesn’t help things.

I still think many Louboutin designs are beautiful, but I feel like I’d want to get something without the obvious red sole, like Jimmy Choos or Manolos.

Curious about others’ thoughts—for those who still love Louboutin, how do you feel about this? Have you considered moving to other brands?

I bought so many pairs during 2008-2014. That’s when the designs appealed to me and my lifestyle (mainly clubbing). I still have many pairs I wasn’t able to sell but honestly I don’t wear them anymore. They hurt a lot and are sooo high!!

Maybe I’m old now but i’ll pick a classic looking 4 inch sandals (mainly jimmy choo) over those crazy high heels I still have.

However, I still admire them when I see them but they just don’t really fit my style or lifestyle anymore :smile:

I feel like their classic. I haven’t bought any new ones in over a year. I’ve really pared down and sold off a few pairs. I still have my first gold glitter platform peep toes, a chunky winter boot, nude heels and my belle booties that I wear the most. The younger girls in the office go crazy for them. I’ve had them for quite a few years now but they are the best wearable CL for me. Here’s 2 pics inside in my phone

28E43126-5407-47A7-B59C-D943CBF02745.jpeg

E9D84BF3-E388-4D7E-B422-57B7FB2D0F39.jpeg

E3286C84-8D9B-403A-86D7-07D6EDC6904F.jpeg

I think high heels in general and especially stilettos are a bit out of style at the moment (in Europe).
Seems like everything what looks like you can't walk easily in (even if you can) is scorned and not cool.
Even a certain style of clothes could be seen as chumming up.
I don't know if this is a feminism thing...
In my case I enjoy the comfort :biggrin:

We just have to wait a while and the pendulum will swing back like it always does.

Louboutins aren’t directly associated with #metoo.

But doesn’t a designer who says “I don’t care about women’s comfort, I only design shoes that satisfy my (a man’s) ideal of sexiness” sound a bit like the attitudes behind the #metoo harassment cases (men thinking “I don’t care about this woman’s discomfort, only that she satisfies my needs”)?

Feels a bit icky/off, and wondering if that’s one of the reasons behind Louboutin’s declining popularity.

Louboutins aren’t directly associated with #metoo.

But doesn’t a designer who says “I don’t care about women’s comfort, I only design shoes that satisfy my (a man’s) ideal of sexiness” sound a bit like the attitudes behind the #metoo harassment cases (men thinking “I don’t care about this woman’s discomfort, only that she satisfies my needs”)?

Feels a bit icky/off, and wondering if that’s one of the reasons behind Louboutin’s declining popularity.
I wear them BECAUSE they are comfortable, and fit my foot perfectly like no other shoe brand. I wish the "decline" showed up by way of availability. Every pair is almost always sold out in my size, always (39) it's maddening because I can never find what I want. They are always gone in 30 seconds! I also don't equate looking sexy to asking/ beckoning to be raped or assaulted, and I see that as victim blaming (if you wouldn't have worn xyz then maybe this wouldn't have happened). I am a sexual assault (violent) survivor and I wear the hell out of my CL's. High-end fashion rarely prioritizes comfort over aesthetic. Your local mall will have plenty of choices for you if "all day comfort" is your goal.

Most women (80%) dress sexy for themselves, and most women wear designer things with logos for other women (men hardly notice). I don't think there is any equivalent to what you are saying, and zero correlation. If you wanted to say, maybe the decrease in demand for stilettos is related to the workforce becoming more and more casual over time, and people working from home, restaurants being closed for COVID, people less interested in formal attire, maybe. But to throw in #metoo is irresponsible and gaslighting. So if people are stopping wearing CL's because of #metoo, those of us that do wear them are....what?

CL makes just as many, if not more, styles in flats, boots, wedges, pool slides, block heels etc as stilettos so perhaps you are not truly appreciating the variety of the brand and only thinking CL is emblematic of a singular style?

Def one of the more bizarre posts I've come across in quite some time. If you don't like them, don't buy them.