Are Louboutins outdated?

Not incredibly relevant to OPs original post, but here're the new men's boots :

1210436bk01-1210436bk01-hover-ecommerce-christianlouboutin-stageboot-1210436_bk01_2_1200x1200.jpg

1210438i382-1210438i382-main_image-ecommerce-christianlouboutin-stagebootstrass-1210438_i382_1_1200x1200.jpg
christianlouboutin-stagederby-1210433_bk01_1_1200x1200.jpg

CL has always been flamboyant, theatrical and glamorous, even the simple pumps and sneakers. It's easy to find more plain looking CLs now, but those three sum up the core DNA of the brand, whether metoo is on the top of the agenda or not.
Men’s, you said?!

I really like that he is doing more wearable flats/ lower heeled shoes! :yahoo:

In the past, I did like his shoes but couldn't hardly wear them and they were too dressy for me ( had no where to wear them to). Now that he is making more sneakers and flats, I'm addicted to them since they are more my style! :biggrin:
Sneakers? Get them at DSW. You won’t have to worry about “your style “.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
This is actually something I've been thinking about for the last few weeks. In my last job I was in a business suit every day and got to wearing either the Jimmy Choo Romy Pumps or Manolo BB pumps. So the price tag was not as much of an issue. I never bought CL's before because it was always the I don't think I can wear that to work. My current place is super casual in comparison especially with COVID and I finally bought myself my first two pairs of CLs. My train of thought was that yes it is kind of over it's time, but fashion trends come and go. I mean I was super happy the day Ugg boots no longer where a thing and now they are back. I do think fashion in general has gone to oversized and comfort, but if a pair of heels makes me stand up tall and be happy even wearing them with PJ pants (trying to break them in) it really does not matter what the rest of the fashion world thinks.

Realize I might get some fire for posting this in what is a Louboutin lovers sub-forum, but wondering if anyone else has thought about how Louboutins are faring in today’s climate given events such as #metoo movement?

I used to want to get a classic pair or two of Louboutins one day, but now it almost feels a bit... off. In the way Victoria’s Secret feels, that blatant in-your-face objectification type of sexiness. The designer himself’s famous words on the discomfort of his shoes (which is in similar vein to Victoria’s Secret’s CEO) doesn’t help things.

I still think many Louboutin designs are beautiful, but I feel like I’d want to get something without the obvious red sole, like Jimmy Choos or Manolos.

Curious about others’ thoughts—for those who still love Louboutin, how do you feel about this? Have you considered moving to other brands?

Thank you for opening a thread with such an interesting question!

I think I know what you mean by being "outdated". My first though wasn't style, but rather concerning the brand philosophy. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. I read up on some CL statements and interviews and I am honestly appalled. There is nothing complimenting about claiming that women are only sexy if they walk slow and cautious imho. Designing your shoes to be purposefully uncomfortable just because women in a rush don't turn you on is a somewhat flat reason (unless you design fetish shoes of course). And I am not taking CL's attempt at retracting that unfortunate statement by saying he didn't really mean it, comfort is actually his second priority. I worked in journalism, PR and diplomacy, and I can tell you, that was a very bad attempt at damage control. If you ever wore one of his heels (or just looked at pictures of people wearing them for that matter) you know that comfort was not among the top 10 when designing the shoes. And yes, it is possible to design a comfortable heel.

I started going out just when super high heels were all the rage. My first heel was unironically 12cm (6 inch I believe) and I loved it. But it also forced me to cut some nights short and be in pain, which is not great when you are having fun. Looking back I wish I could have seen that high heels are not the only sexy shoe (and that being sexy is not a requirement for going out).

Personally, I've had enough of designers seeing their costumers as objects without agency. I have a life and I don't appreciate having some aged man telling me it's not sexy. It's not nice to tell your costumers that they are unattraktive because they have things to do that are not being a center fold. I don't feel any less attractive then usual when I have to run to an appointment instead of slowly stumbling along the side walk (the later one would actually make me feel embarrassed; on another note, rushing in a suit makes me feel important in a silly way ;)).

That being said, I am not criticising anybody that wears louboutins and I really don't want to make anybody feel bad (apart from CL himself). I just wanted to share how such sexist views on what a sexy woman has to be like are insulting to me. High end designers shape a lot of the fashion we wear and what we view as beautiful. That is a lot of responsibility!

To conclude, I enjoy wearing heels occationally and some festivities would not feel the same without a heel. There are some brands that can make a beautiful, complimenting shoe that does not cause you literal pain. Even though super high heels are not such a big thing anymore, I don't think that heels will ever go away completely. Looking at history, humanity apparently can't do without heels. But I think we can do without careless designers.

Sorry for this essay, I was planning a short response, but then so many things came to my mind that I wanted to share! Please be kind if you comment to this :flowers: I think this is a very interesting discussion and I enjoy reading different views!

Last edited:
At 65 years of age I bought my first pair for my fathers funeral last year. I wanted to look smart and classy. Nothing to do with sexy and definitely not for male attention!!! I had the 100 heels and yes, they were not the most comfortable, as I would only ever usually wear heels at an event where I would be seated, ie: theatre or restaurant, but were more comfortable than other heels. Regarding outdated, my 16 year old grandaughter has requested to wear them for her prom next year and my 13 year old grandaughter has requested that when I am too old to wear them can she have them. Horses for courses IMHO, you wear to the occasion, surely? Uggs and Dubarry boots are my winter mainstay, birkenstocks summer. I wear my DM's all year. I would never wear heels all the time as a. I am too old and b. they would cripple me.

In my opinion, I also think CL pricing has gone through the roof……I now question why I would spend so much $$ on heels that I cannot wear for any period of time, and now with what has been happening with the pandemic, practically no place to wear them…….still like the designs but I no longer purchase at full retail prices….will look at the resale for good deals…..having said that, the resale sites are a disaster….with sellers who think because they wore them, the shoes are now all of the sudden worth more than new(nothing can be further from the truth), and then there are sellers who think every CL is a So Kate…..oh well….

I was at the Cobbler the other day to bring it in a pair of Hermes chunky mules, and he says to me “welcome, back! long time no see!” Yes, I’ve stopped wearing my Loubs (and other heels) ages ago as they seem irrelevant to my lifestyle today (WFH, business from the waist up over slippers and yoga pants)… my back thanks me for this change…. And as I picked up my shoes, I noticed not very many heels either… where his shelves were once filled Loubs of various heel heights, colours and sizes

At 65 years of age I bought my first pair for my fathers funeral last year. I wanted to look smart and classy. Nothing to do with sexy and definitely not for male attention!!! I had the 100 heels and yes, they were not the most comfortable, as I would only ever usually wear heels at an event where I would be seated, ie: theatre or restaurant, but were more comfortable than other heels. Regarding outdated, my 16 year old grandaughter has requested to wear them for her prom next year and my 13 year old grandaughter has requested that when I am too old to wear them can she have them. Horses for courses IMHO, you wear to the occasion, surely? Uggs and Dubarry boots are my winter mainstay, birkenstocks summer. I wear my DM's all year. I would never wear heels all the time as a. I am too old and b. they would cripple me.
As to Louboutin classics being (going) out of style, nonsense.
Your granddaughters expressed desires confirm the everlasting appeal of the classic thin heel, pointed toe pump.
Second, try finding in a brick and mortar store…sold out.
Third, go on the Louboutin website. You will not find So Kates in popular sizes…sold out.
Four, look at what most of the talking heads on TV are wearing…pointed toe, 100-120 mm heels. Mostly CL So Kates in black patent.
Anyone in marketing will tell you that those are all indications of continued popularity.
Louboutin is smart enough to pull the “Ferrari trick”. I.e., DON’T satisfy demand. That keeps prices up and thereby demand up.
Beautiful, graceful, expensive, quality products will never go out of style…in fact they define style. Anyone can buy a Casio that tells time, just as anyone can buy sloppy “comfortable shoes” that keep your feet of the ground. Buying and wearing a Rolex is not only an experience, but an expression. An expression of who you are, not to who you bow to.

That one can and does wear them is a counterpoint to those who can’t.

As to Louboutin classics being (going) out of style, nonsense.
Your granddaughters expressed desires confirm the everlasting appeal of the classic thin heel, pointed toe pump.
Second, try finding in a brick and mortar store…sold out.
Third, go on the Louboutin website. You will not find So Kates in popular sizes…sold out.
Four, look at what most of the talking heads on TV are wearing…pointed toe, 100-120 mm heels. Mostly CL So Kates in black patent.
Anyone in marketing will tell you that those are all indications of continued popularity.
Louboutin is smart enough to pull the “Ferrari trick”. I.e., DON’T satisfy demand. That keeps prices up and thereby demand up.
Beautiful, graceful, expensive, quality products will never go out of style…in fact they define style. Anyone can buy a Casio that tells time, just as anyone can buy sloppy “comfortable shoes” that keep your feet of the ground. Buying and wearing a Rolex is not only an experience, but an expression. An expression of who you are, not to who you bow to.

That one can and does wear them is a counterpoint to those who can’t.

Thank you for opening a thread with such an interesting question!

I think I know what you mean by being "outdated". My first though wasn't style, but rather concerning the brand philosophy. It makes me feel very uncomfortable. I read up on some CL statements and interviews and I am honestly appalled. There is nothing complimenting about claiming that women are only sexy if they walk slow and cautious imho. Designing your shoes to be purposefully uncomfortable just because women in a rush don't turn you on is a somewhat flat reason (unless you design fetish shoes of course). And I am not taking CL's attempt at retracting that unfortunate statement by saying he didn't really mean it, comfort is actually his second priority. I worked in journalism, PR and diplomacy, and I can tell you, that was a very bad attempt at damage control. If you ever wore one of his heels (or just looked at pictures of people wearing them for that matter) you know that comfort was not among the top 10 when designing the shoes. And yes, it is possible to design a comfortable heel.

I started going out just when super high heels were all the rage. My first heel was unironically 12cm (6 inch I believe) and I loved it. But it also forced me to cut some nights short and be in pain, which is not great when you are having fun. Looking back I wish I could have seen that high heels are not the only sexy shoe (and that being sexy is not a requirement for going out).

Personally, I've had enough of designers seeing their costumers as objects without agency. I have a life and I don't appreciate having some aged man telling me it's not sexy. It's not nice to tell your costumers that they are unattraktive because they have things to do that are not being a center fold. I don't feel any less attractive then usual when I have to run to an appointment instead of slowly stumbling along the side walk (the later one would actually make me feel embarrassed; on another note, rushing in a suit makes me feel important in a silly way ;)).

That being said, I am not criticising anybody that wears louboutins and I really don't want to make anybody feel bad (apart from CL himself). I just wanted to share how such sexist views on what a sexy woman has to be like are insulting to me. High end designers shape a lot of the fashion we wear and what we view as beautiful. That is a lot of responsibility!

To conclude, I enjoy wearing heels occationally and some festivities would not feel the same without a heel. There are some brands that can make a beautiful, complimenting shoe that does not cause you literal pain. Even though super high heels are not such a big thing anymore, I don't think that heels will ever go away completely. Looking at history, humanity apparently can't do without heels. But I think we can do without careless designers.

Sorry for this essay, I was planning a short response, but then so many things came to my mind that I wanted to share! Please be kind if you comment to this :flowers: I think this is a very interesting discussion and I enjoy reading different views!

I have a problem with this essay in that you are judging someone on things he said in the past using today's culture. Fashion changes, what is considered sexy changes. When Louboutin said the things he said, most women adored him. Just look at threads in this forum: women would travel thousands of miles to get to meet Mr. Louboutin and have him sign a pair of their heels. The fact that Louboutin is even designing sneakers is an indication of how much has changed. He started by wanting to design only shoes for burlesque performers. His shoes empowered women.
Today, with the advent of the #metoo movement, different things empower women, and it's OK. Fashion will continue to change because it's always about setting new trends and feeling connected by following those trends.