Are facials worth it?

Marisa783

O.G.
Sep 23, 2008
I am thinking about getting a facial for the first time and was wondering if they are really worth it? I want one mostly for extractions because I can see a lot of clogged pores on my chin and nose. Do extractions get rid of clogged pores completely? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a spa/salon for reasonably priced facials in NYC? TIA!

I used to get them every 3 months or so but now I have a great facial routine--cleansing, toning, exfoliationg (2x per week) and mositurizing..so for me, there is no need to spend $100+ dollars for something I can do at home..KWIM?

I've been going for facials once a month since last December...I think my skin has improved a lot since then, but I don't know if it's because of the facials themselves or the products that I started using since my esthetician recommended them to me. I always find that no matter how nice my skin gets right after a facial, the next month it becomes just as congested. :sad: I'm going to reduce the frequency to once every 2 months from now on to see if I detect any differences...

Still worth trying though! :smile:

I don't think it's necessary ONLY IF you're diligent enough to keep up a very comprehensive skincare routine yourself. Cleansing, exfoliating, toning, and using different types of serums, masks, moisturizers that suit your skin and effective -- all on a scheduled basis.

I'd agree with rin. I think you can do pretty much everything you'd get out of most facials on your own if you're willing to invest in the time and products, unless you have some unusual skin needs.

Where a few facials might come in handy is if you don't feel you have a handle on your skin and the products/routine that works best for you - to set you on the right path. Once you've got that dialed, I think most can go without, or certainly only when you feel you have problems that your home routine isn't handling.

I've started doing glycolic peel facials. After the first two I have seen slight fading of acne scars but not much else. However, they are a treatment in which the benefits are compounded after a series of treatments.

ITA with rin...I have had about 3 facials in my life, and they are nice in terms of teaching you how to take care of your skin (then again, there are several unnecessary steps in many facials that you don't need to recreate at home). But it gets $$$ very fast.

I would save the money and get a Clarisonic instead -- my skin has never looked better than since I began using one faithfully in January. That and an appropriate moisturizer, eye cream, and sunblock are about all you need.

I get one maybe 2-3 times a year at most. I don't consider them a regular part of my skincare...more of a special treat. I'm a firm believer that less is more with all the pulling and rubbing that can occur with facials. But, I do enjoy the extractions part, even though the results don't last forever.

Drink water, wear sunscreen, don't tug on the skin around the eyes when applying makeup...these are the basics that work for me!

I really enjoy them because my skin is dry and it really benefits from all the extra moisturizing. I don't think it's mandatory but I would go more often if I could!

I love facials and try to get them every few months. I had a neighbor who had incredibly saggy skin EVERYWHERE. She was european and had olive toned skin. She was pretty old. Her face was super tight though and not wrinkly like the rest of her body. In her country, they did facials all the time. She totally believes in it and got me hooked.
On the other hand, I have a friend who sells to dermatologists and another that's the director of a great spa in new york who says that facials don't really offer many benefits.
My dad says that the reason a man's face doesn't wrinkle as fast is because many of them shave and are taking off the dead skin off their face. Not sure whether it's true or not but I do believe that your face needs to be manipulated (not stretched) and rubbed and exfoliated. Wash cloths are a good thing to use too.