Are Chloe Bags Made/Stitched by Hand?

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
I was just wondering if Chloe bags are made by hand or machine? Does anyone know?

The reason I ask is because looking at my Heloise bag that I just got (pics to come in the am), one end of the bag is sewn all crooked. My hubbie actually thinks that either that bag was torn and re-sewn OR they had too much material and just tucked it in really sloppy. The way the bottom corners of the bag are, they're sorta tucked in & stitched, but on one side there's this large "tuck" in the leather and it makes the bottom seam look crooked. There's also too much material on the bottom of the bag around the "foot" in the corner and it causes the leather to fold over and seam. It's a little lard to describe, but I'll take pics in the morning in daylight and you'll see what I'm talking about. If the bags are sewn by hand, this could explain it - why the stitching might be so different at opposite ends.

They had one other Plum Heloise bag so I think I'm going to go back and have a look at that bag -- if it's sewn better I just might exchange it (but the leather on that bag isn't nearly as soft and smooshy as mine which will be EXTREMELY disappointing :sad:)

I took a couple of pics to show what I mean -- they're not great. I'll take better ones in the morning in daylight. But at least this will give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

This is the corner that's sewn sloppy -- see how the leather's all bunched up and tucked in? And if you look at the foot (on the bottom of the bag) you can see where the leather puckers (it's like there's too much material around it)

DCFC0167.jpg

DCFC0166.jpg

Now this is the other end -- See the difference? This side's sewn straight and the leather isn't puckered.

DCFC0164.jpg

DCFC0163.jpg

I was just wondering if Chloe bags are made by hand or machine? Does anyone know?

The reason I ask is because looking at my Heloise bag that I just got (pics to come in the am), one end of the bag is sewn all crooked. My hubbie actually thinks that either that bag was torn and re-sewn OR they had too much material and just tucked it in really sloppy. The way the bottom corners of the bag are, they're sorta tucked in & stitched, but on one side there's this large "tuck" in the leather and it makes the bottom seam look crooked. There's also too much material on the bottom of the bag around the "foot" in the corner and it causes the leather to fold over and seam. It's a little lard to describe, but I'll take pics in the morning in daylight and you'll see what I'm talking about. If the bags are sewn by hand, this could explain it - why the stitching might be so different at opposite ends.

They had one other Plum Heloise bag so I think I'm going to go back and have a look at that bag -- if it's sewn better I just might exchange it (but the leather on that bag isn't nearly as soft and smooshy as mine which will be EXTREMELY disappointing :sad:)

My guess would be they are not sewn by hand, but I could be wrong. Is it possible to smooth the fold out or is it sewn that way? My bottom has a lot of plushy smooshy leather so it does fold over like your pic, but if I stuff the bottom of the bag, the wrinkles go away. I didn't even look at the bottom when I got her. Don't know if it helps you, but here are pics of what the bottom of my bag.

Chloe QC is notorious for being inconsistent at best. I don't think there is a perfect Chloe out there, or if there is, I have never seen one.

If you have to exchange, get the SA to order another one in if they can. I wouldn't want a non-smooshy one. that is the best part about this bag. My leather is really soft and smooshy and I love it.

bottom001.jpg

bottom002.jpg

I think Chloe bags are sewed by humans using sewing machines, and thus the inconsistency in quality. I just checked my Heloise and its bottom looks slightly like yours, but not as severe. If you don't like how it looks, def exchange it, but I agree with Lionlaw here, I prefer ones with smooshy leather too.

gosh yes i can see what you mean. the chloes are sewen with a sewing machine, they are never the same from bag to bag!

this will either really bother you to the point that it anoys you or you tak ethe bag for what it is!

its a very beautiful bag this wouldnt bother me to much!

it's not the bottom of the bag that bothers me as much or even the bag's smooshiness -- its the corner & the way it's sewn. when you look at the bag from the front, you can definitely see a difference -- I am going back today to have a look at the other Plum Heloise that they had, but the reason I didn't choose that one in the first place was because the leather was no where near as soft & smushy as mine was. *SIGH* this is frustrating!!

I deleted the first pics I took and here are some better ones -- see how the leathers all bunched up and its stitched all crooked?

P1010533.jpg

P1010527.jpg

this is the opposite end, which is stitched a lot straighter and more even

P1010529.jpg

I see now. If it bothers you then go back and try to get another one. If there is only one in store, try to ask the SA to order one for you. Chloe QA sometimes leaves much to be desired. Especially if you have paid top $$ for the bag, you deserve to be totally happy with it.

its like they had all this extra leather and instead of trimming it down to make it fit, they just bunched it up and stuck inside the seam. It really disappoints me because like I said the leather on this bag is so soft & smooshy and that's what I like -- the other Plum Heloise that they had was much smoother and almost one tone throughout the entire bag -- my bag has multi dimensions to it so the entire bag isn't the exact same shade.

I mean I know Chloe's are supposed to be soft, but that's not the problem -- for a $1600+ bag, I'd expect it to at least be sewn straight & the excess leather trimmed, not just bunched up & stuffed into the corner which is what it looks like they did.:sad::sad:

when I went back to Nordstroms, the SAs were all trying to tell me that they think that all bags are stitched differently & that no two bags are the same. At first, one of the girls suggested using some conditioner on it to smooth it out. I pointed out to them that it's not just creased. If that were the case, it wouldn't bother me. I can deal with creases, in fact, I like distressed leather bags which is why I like my bag so much. I showed them how the other Heloise that they had was sewn so much better and that all 4 corners should look the same --that it isn't just that the leather's creased. It looks like they had too much leather and instead of trimming it down & stitching it correctly, they just tucked it in and sewed it up.

I dunno -- maybe I'm being a55anine -- am I making too big a deal out of this? I just think for a $1600+ bag it should at least be sewn together properly.

I don't think you are making too much of a deal about it- you should be 100% happy with your bag or what i the point in paying so much for it?

Did you exchange? What was the outcome?