Are Caviar and Grained Calfskin material bags pretty much the same

Heysexy

Dec 9, 2016
Hey everyone.

So I am looking for a new medium boy bag in caviar but my sales advisor stated that they only have grained calfskin. Are they practically the same thing? And are they both as durable as each other? (I'm looking for a boy to wear everyday and don't want to baby it)

Please let me know guys. Thanks x

Thanks for the link.

But I still don't know if Grained calfskin is pretty much identical in terms of material to caviar?. I've attached a pic of a grained calfskin boy bag-

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    711.4 KB · Views: 7,403
Grained calfskin is caviar, but as @lovensparkle mentioned, Chanel makes different seasonal caviars. Some are more matte (17C boy) some have more sheen (17P), etc. The only caviar boy bags that were made with the rigid caviar (same caviar used on the classic flaps) were the caviar boy bags from fall 2014. All of the caviar boy bags since then are made with a softer caviar, and each season's caviar has their variances. I almost wonder if sales associates are using the term 'grained calfskin' more just so that the expectation isn't that you are going to get a bag with the same rigid caviar as a classic flap... I included a picture I had that shows how much caviar can vary - the red caviar boy on the left is from 16A and the red caviar boy on the right is from 14B.

IMG_1098.jpg

Actually would it be more accurate to say cavier is brained calfskin, instead of the other way around?
The difference lies in the pebble size and texture.

And that even among caviers or grained calfskin within their own kind, there are differences, depending on the season.

The term "caviar" (a/k/a "grained") is used to describe the finished texture of the leather, not the origin of the leather (lamb, calf, goat, etc.). Historically, Chanel caviar is from calf, but recently they have released grained lamb...still referred to as "caviar". There are also many different types of finishes to the caviar itself...matte, rigid, metallic, sueded, etc. and the actual texture of the caviar/grain can vary (smaller vs. larger, deeper vs. more shallow, if that makes sense). So a grained iridescent lamb and a grained iridescent calf are both referred to as iridescent caviar. HTH!

Reactions: eatpraylvoe